|Plácido Domingo Quick Info|
|Height||6 ft 2 in|
|Date of Birth||January 21, 1941|
Plácido Domingo is a Spanish opera singer, music conductor, and arts administrator who has recorded more than a hundred operas and has performed in several different languages including Italian, French, German, Spanish, English, and Russian.
José Plácido Domingo Embil
He splits his time between –
- Madrid, Spain
- Manhattan, New York City, New York, United States
- Acapulco, Guerrero, Mexico
- Los Angeles, California, United States
Plácido had attended the Conservatorio Nacional de Música, a music conservatory in Mexico City.
Opera Singer, Music Conductor, Arts Administrator
- Father – Plácido Francisco Domingo Ferrer (Zarzuela Baritone Singer) (d. November 1987)
- Mother – Josefa ‘Pepita’ Embil Echániz (Zarzuela Soprano Singer) (d. August 1994)
- Siblings – Maria José ‘Mari Pepa’ Domingo de Fernandez (Sister) (d. 2015)
- Others – Pedro Domingo (Paternal Grandfather), María Ferrer Ripol (Maternal Grandmother), Pedro ‘Perico’ Domingo (Paternal Uncle), Henriqueta Domingo (Paternal Aunt), Arturo Embil y Lazcano (Maternal Grandfather) (Organist), Germana Echániz Ostolaza (Maternal Grandmother), Francisco (Maternal Uncle), Sebastián (Maternal Uncle), Agustina (Maternal Aunt), Angel María (Maternal Uncle), Samantha Domingo (Ex-Daughter-in-Law)
Latin Music, Pop
Vocals, Piano, Violin
- RCA Red Seal
- EMI Classics
- Sony Classics
6 ft 2 in or 188 cm
82 kg or 181 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Plácido has dated –
- Ana María Guerra Cué (1957–1961) – Plácido had married Ana María Guerra Cué on August 29, 1957, when he was just 16 years old. She was a piano student at that time. They had a son together named José Plácido Domingo Guerra (b. June 16, 1958) (Photographer). The couple had parted ways in 1961. Ana passed away in 2006. Through José, he has a granddaughter named Ivonne Armant (Actress)
- Marta Ornelas (1962-Present) – Plácido had started dating Mexican opera soprano singer, stage director, and designer Marta Ornelas in 1962, and they got married later that year, on August 1, 1962. They have 2 sons together named Plácido Francisco aka Plácido Domingo Jr. (b. October 21, 1965) (Singer, Songwriter, Record Producer) and Alvaro Maurizio Domingo (b. October 11, 1968). Marta had been voted the ‘Mexican Singer of the Year’ in 1962 and the couple had performed together frequently after their marriage. However, she gave up her promising career after her first pregnancy to devote herself to taking care of the family. Plácido has 3 granddaughters through Plácido Francisco.
Race / Ethnicity
He is of Aragonese and Catalan descent on his father’s side and Basque descent on his mother’s side.
- Stocky frame
- Short-cropped, wavy hair
- Sports a rugged beard
- Powerful, sonorous tenor voice
Plácido has been featured in the print advertisements for –
- Quorum perfume (1988)
In 1984, he had also appeared in a TV commercial for the Spanish winery Freixenet.
Plácido Domingo Facts
- Plácido’s parents had formed a zarzuela company that had toured across Latin America in the late 1940s due to which the family had lived in Mexico for quite a while.
- As of April 2021, he had won 8 Grammy and 5 Latin Grammy awards.
- He was the general director of the Washington National Opera from 1996 until 2011.
- In June 2018, Iberia Airlines, the flag carrier airline of Spain, had honored him by placing his name on the first Airbus A350 that was delivered to them.
Featured Image by Plácido Domingo / Instagram