|Priya Darshini Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 6 in|
|Date of Birth||December 25, 1983|
Priya Darshini is an Indian singer, songwriter, voice-over artist, composer, actress, athlete, and entrepreneur who has recorded tracks for Indian films as well as Western productions. In 2020, her debut studio album titled Periphery was nominated for a Grammy Award in the category of ‘Best New Age Album’. Besides her singing career, she has also been involved with sports and athletics, and in 2007, had become the first and youngest Indian woman to complete the 100-mile Himalayan Ultra Marathon, organized along the border of India and Nepal. Inspired by the experience, she had launched The WindChasers in 2011, an adventure racing company that organizes ultra-marathons across India.
Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India
Brooklyn, New York City, New York, United States
Priya Darshini, after her high school graduation, had studied mass media at the KC (Kishinchand Chellaram) College in Mumbai. She had later pursued a filmmaking course from New York Film Academy.
Singer, Songwriter, Voice-over Artist, Composer, Actress, Athlete, Entrepreneur
World, Seasonal, Indian Classical
5 ft 6 in or 167.5 cm
57 kg or 125.5 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Priya Darshini has dated –
- Max ZT (2017-Present) – Priya Darshini got married to renowned hammered dulcimer artist Max ZT in 2017 in a ceremony in Mumbai that was held according to both Tamil and Jewish rituals.
Race / Ethnicity
She is of Indian (Tamil) descent.
- Slender frame
- Shoulder-length, straight hair
- Affable smile
- Radiant face
Priya Darshini Facts
- Born in Chennai, Tamil Nadu, and raised in Borivali, Mumbai, Priya Darshini had started getting trained in Carnatic classical music under renowned vocalist Lakshmi Rajagopalan from the age of 9. She had also received Hindustani classical music training from Pandit Sunil Borgaonkar for several years.
- She had, in the early part of her career, recorded songs for a few Hindi-language films such as Maine Pyar Kyun Kiya (2005), D (2005), Darling (2007), and Mukhbiir (2008). However, she had revealed in an interview that she did not quite enjoy the process of playback singing and felt ‘disconnected’ from commercial music as she was more inclined toward classical music.
- In 2008, she was invited by American musician Roy Wilfred Wooten to participate in his renowned Black Mozart Ensemble, a troupe popular for combining jazz with classical music, hip hop, and bluegrass. She had toured across the United States and India with the group for about 3 years.
- She had played a supporting role in the 2014 biographical drama film titled The Letters and had also acted in a 2017 theater play titled It Can Happen Here.
- In 2017, she was made the artistic director of the musical group Brooklyn Raga Massive and the co-leader of the Women’s Raga Massive, one of their projects. She had performed in concerts with both those groups. She has also played a pivotal role in the organization of Out of the Woods, an annual monthly festival dedicated to promoting the works of female artists.
- Priya has served as one of the trustees of Jana Rakshita, a Mumbai-based NGO that works for pediatric cancer patients.
Featured Image by Priya Darshini / Instagram