|Jordan Knight Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 11 in|
|Date of Birth||May 17, 1970|
Jordan Knight is an American actor, singer, and songwriter who is widely recognized as the lead singer of the 80s band, New Kids on the Block. Considered as one of the most successful boy bands of all time, the Boston-natives set the trend for future boy bands like Backstreet Boys, NSYNC, One Direction, and many others to follow. As the band dominated the music charts, Jordan attracted more fanfare for his impressive falsetto, slick dance moves, and bold fashion choices. After disbanding in 1994, Jordan became the only member to have a successful solo career with more than 1.5 million records sold worldwide. He regularly connects with his loyal fan base of around 400k followers on Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter. Since 2004, Jordan is married to Evelyn Melendez.
Jordan Nathaniel Marcel Knight
Worcester, Massachusetts, United States
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
Jordan attended the William Monroe Trotter School in Roxbury, Massachusetts.
Singer, Songwriter, Actor
- Father – William Allan Knight (Episcopal Priest)
- Mother – Marlene Lenore (née Putnam) (Episcopal Priest)
- Siblings – Allison Knight (Older Sister), Sharon Knight (Older Sister), David Knight (Older Brother), Christopher Knight (Older Brother) (Adopted), Jonathan Knight (Older Brother) (Fellow member on New Kids on the Block)
- Others – Floyd Archibald Putman (Maternal Grandfather), Pearl May Johnston (Maternal Grandmother), Jane Van Zandt (Stepmother) (Episcopal Priest), Harley Rodriguez (Brother-in-law) (Husband of brother Jonathan) (Actor), Matthew (Nephew)
Jordan is represented by the Supreme Artists Entertainment in Boston.
Pop, Dance-pop, Adult Contemporary, Urban, Soft Rock, Pop Rock, R&B, Soul, Blue-Eyed Soul
Vocals, Piano, Keyboards
- Interscope Records
- Columbia Records
- BMG Rights Management
- Entertainment One Music
5 ft 11 in or 180.5 cm
74 kg or 163 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Jordan has dated –
- Evelyn Melendez (1992-1996, 1998-2001, 2004-Present) – Evelyn Melendez and Jordan began dating in August 1992. Their long-standing relationship has seen many hiccups with the couple parting ways several times starting in 1996. However, they reconciled in 1998 and got engaged but called it quits again in 2001. After getting back together yet another time, Jordan and Evelyn finally got married on September 12, 2004. Their son Dante Jordan Knight was born on August 25, 1999, and they welcomed another boy, Eric Jacob Knight on February 21, 2007.
- Shanna Moakler (1996-1997) – Jordan and adult/glamour model Shanna Moakler were dating from 1996 to 1997. Moakler, an actress and beauty pageant winner, was crowned Miss USA in 1995.
- Jessica Huntington – Jordan was involved with model Jessica Huntington in the past.
Race / Ethnicity
He has English, Scottish, and distant German ancestry.
- Dimpled smile
- High tenor voice and falsetto
Jordan has done endorsement work for the following brands –
- Coca-Cola (1989)
- Old Navy (2012)
- AMA (Argentinian Supper Club)
Additionally, Jordan has also endorsed Cottonelle‘s ‘Go Commando’ campaign with his band members from NKOTB.
Best Known For
- Being a teen heart-throb and lead singer of New Kids on the Block from 1984 to 1994 and 2007 to Present
- Having a successful solo career with the release of numerous studio albums such as Jordan Knight (1999), Love Songs (2006), and Unfinished (2011)
- As New Kids on the Block –
In April 1986, his band released their debut album titled New Kids on the Block which was met with negative reviews. But, after the band’s subsequent increase in popularity, the album was certified 3x Platinum by the RIAA.
- As a solo artist –
His eponymous debut album was released by Interscope Records in 1999. The album was co-produced by Robin Thicke, Jimmy Jam, and Terry Lewis.
- With NKOTBSB (New Kids on the Block + Backstreet Boys) –
Their debut studio album NKOTBSB, a compilation album, was released in 2011. The album charted at #7 on the US Billboard 200.
- With Nick Carter –
The duo released their debut collaborative album named Nick & Knight in 2014.
Jordan made his theatrical film debut in the German-comedy 1½ Knights: In Search of the Ravishing Princess Herzelinde as ‘Himself’. The film was released in Switzerland and Germany on December 18, 2008.
First TV Show
Jordan made his first TV show appearance in 1989 as ‘Himself’ on the crime-drama documentary series Unsolved Mysteries.
Jordan Knight Favorite Things
- Dishes – Chicken parmesan meatballs, cauliflower fritters, lemon-rosemary chicken wings, truffle fries, rigatoni pasta
- Food – Lasagna
- Idea For A Date – A secluded beach with a fire burning
- Sports – Basketball, Baseball, Softball, Tennis
- Colors – Black, Blue, Red
- Music Band – The Beatles
- Movies – Goodfellas (1990), The Lion King (1994), Casino (1995), Grease (1978)
- Song Sung By Him – Broken by You (from the album Jordan Knight)
- Place – Australia
- Activity As A Kid – Going to summer camp
- Performance Of Donnie Wahlberg – Band of Brothers (2001)
- Places In Canada – Montreal, Vancouver
- Canadian Artist – Alanis Morissette
- Album By Alanis Morissette – Jagged Little Pill (1995)
- Song On His Album Unfinished – One More Night
Jordan Knight Facts
- Jordan’s parents, who are both Canadian, got divorced when he was in junior high school.
- Before joining the band, Jordan used to play in the youth baseball league in his hometown but was bullied for his lack of athletic skills.
- Jordan started singing when he was 5 years old and began writing songs for the band at 17. He also taught himself to play the piano and keyboards as a teenager.
- Jordan’s first job was working as a camp counselor.
- His hugely successful band was initially called Nynuk. But, on the insistence of the record label, the name was changed to New Kids on the Block.
- People magazine included Jordan in their list of “50 Most Beautiful People in the World” in 1990.
- He wore clear braces for 2 years while performing with New Kids on the Block.
- The single Please Don’t Go Girl (from their 2nd album Hangin’ Tough) was the band’s first commercial hit and became a turning point in their career. Prior to this, Columbia Records was considering dropping the band after the failure of their debut album.
- His childhood celebrity crush was Alyssa Milano.
- Boston City honored him by declaring February 7, 2015, as “Jordan Knight Day.”
- Jordan helped write the song, I’ll Be Your Everything (1990) which was sung by singer-songwriter Tommy Page. The popular single reached the top position at the US Billboard Hot 100.
- His hobbies include photography and basketball.
- While touring with his band, he likes to collect hotel room keys from all over the world as mementos.
- Jordan is a co-owner of the Italian restaurant Novara in Milton, Massachusetts.
- Since 2015, he owns a franchise of the fitness chain, Retro Fitness.
- Their single, Hangin’ Tough was an ode to the Boston Celtics. The band took inspiration from Queen‘s classic sports anthem, We Will Rock You.
- In 2001, Jordan and his brother Jonathan appeared on The Oprah Winfrey Show and spoke about suffering from panic attacks while performing with the band.
- More than a decade after splitting up, New Kids on the Block reunited in 2007 much to the delight of their fandom known as ‘Blockheads’.
- Early on in her career, Jennifer Lopez appeared as a backup dancer for the band’s performance at the 1991 American Music Awards.
- New Kids on the Block received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame on October 9, 2014.
- Follow Jordan Knight on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram.
Featured Image by Ibolya Nyikos / Wikimedia / CC BY-SA 3.0