|Rahul Mishra Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 8 in|
|Date of Birth||November 7, 1979|
Rahul Mishra is an Indian fashion designer who holds the distinction of being the first designer from his country to have been invited to showcase his work at the Haute Couture Week in Paris. It is a series of designer presentations held semiannually in Paris, France, with spring/summer and autumn/winter events held each year. Renowned for incorporating traditional Indian textiles and handmade artisanship into his work, Rahul, besides Paris, has exhibited his work at most major global fashion weeks including those held in London, Milan, Dubai, and Australia. He is also the first Indian designer to have been chosen by Rent the Runway, an e-commerce platform that allows users to rent, subscribe, or buy designer apparel and accessories.
Malhausi, Auraiya, Uttar Pradesh, India
Rahul, after his high school graduation, joined Kanpur University (now known as Chhatrapati Shahu Ji Maharaj University (CSJMU)), a public state university located in Kanpur, Uttar Pradesh. He earned a graduate degree in physics from there.
Thereafter, he joined the National Institute of Design, Ahmedabad, a public design university in Ahmedabad, Gujarat, that is regarded as one of the foremost design schools in Asia. There, he earned a post-graduate degree in apparel design. The National Institutes of Design (NIDs) are a group of autonomous universities in India – with the primary institute (founded in 1961) located in Ahmedabad.
In 2009, he became the first non-European designer to win a scholarship from the Istituto Marangoni, a private Italian school of fashion and design based in Milan, Lombardy, Italy.
5 ft 8 in or 173 cm
69 kg or 152 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Rahul has dated –
- Divya Bhatt – Through his long-term marriage to entrepreneur and fellow fashion designer Divya Bhatt, Rahul has a daughter named Aarna (b. October 2015). Divya, a fellow National Institute of Design graduate in apparel design, is the co-founder and director of the couture brand, Rahul Mishra.
Race / Ethnicity
- Slender frame
- Overgrown, side-parted, neck-length, wavy hair
- Affable smile
- Sports a beard
Rahul Mishra Facts
- Rahul, in 2005, during his time at the National Institute of Design, Ahmedabad, had won the ‘Best Student Designer Of The Year’ award.
- He made his debut in 2006 at the Lakme Fashion Week, a bi-annual fashion week that holds its summer-resort show in March in Mumbai, Maharashtra, India, and its winter-festive show in October in New Delhi, India.
- In February 2014, Rahul became the first Indian fashion designer to win the ‘International Woolmark Prize’ – at the Milan Fashion Week, a clothing trade show held semi-annually in Milan, Italy. The ‘International Woolmark Prize’ honors fashion designers who showcase the beauty and versatility of Merino (a breed of domestic sheep) wool in their work.
- Rahul’s award-winning range, titled ‘The Lotus Effect’, was based on hexagonal shapes and Lotus motifs. The range/collection was influenced by the monochromatic work of the noted Dutch graphic artist Maurits Cornelis Escher.
- The award, at that time, carried an AUD 100,000 prize. The prestigious honor had previously been won by several globally acclaimed fashion designers including Karl Lagerfeld, Giorgio Armani, and Yves Saint Laurent.
Featured Image by Rahul Mishra / Instagram