|Rande Gerber Quick Info|
|Height||6 ft 1 in|
|Date of Birth||April 27, 1962|
Rande Gerber started his career as a model but he always knew that modeling wasn’t something that he wanted to do for long-term and he balanced his modeling career with his university studies. He managed to find his calling in the 90s as a bar and nightlife industry entrepreneur. As his first bar The Whiskey became famous, he turned his focus to creating a chain of restaurants, bars, and lounges worldwide. He started entertainment and hospitality companies Midnight Oil and the Gerber Group. Rande also earned a lot of media attention for starting Casamigos Tequila with his friend George Clooney.
New York City, New York, United States
In 1980, Rande Gerber graduated from George W. Hewlett High School, Long Island. Then, he got enrolled at the University of Arizona and graduated with a BA in Marketing.
Businessman, Former Model
- Father – Jordan Gerber
- Mother – Ellen Peckman
- Siblings – Kenny Gerber (Brother) (Co-founder of the Gerber Group), Scott Gerber (Brother) (Co-founder of the Gerber Group), Sophie Gerber (Sister)
- Others – Solomon /Saul /Paul Gerber (Paternal Grandfather), Stella D./S. Alexander (Paternal Grandmother), Alan Irving Goldberg (Maternal Grandfather), Roslyn B. Schwartz (Maternal Grandmother)
6 ft 1 in or 185.5 cm
80 kg or 176 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Rande Gerber has dated –
- Cindy Crawford (1997-Present) – Rande first met supermodel Cindy Crawford in 1991 at the wedding of Michael Gruber who was Crawford’s agent and Gerber’s childhood friend. At that time, Crawford was married to Richard Gere. Gerber and Cindy remained in touch over the phone and eventually reconnected in 1995 in Los Angeles. A couple of months earlier Crawford had officially separated from Gere. Crawford and Gerber connected instantly and started dating officially in 1997.
They got married in May 1998 in an intimate wedding ceremony. In July 1999, she gave birth to their son Presley Walker. Then, she gave birth to their daughter Kaia Jordan in September 2001. In the early months of 2018, it was reported that they were on the verge of separation but they have emerged stronger than ever.
Race / Ethnicity
He has Ashkenazi Jewish ancestry.
Dashing good looks
Rande Gerber did endorsement work for leading fashion brands such as Benetton and Sassoon during his modeling days.
Best Known For
- Being married to the supermodel Cindy Crawford. He is also the father of model Kaia Gerber.
- Being the co-founder and co-owner of the Gerber Group which runs numerous bars, restaurants, and lounges all over the world
First TV Show
In 2008, Rande Gerber made his first TV show appearance in the Green with Envy Fashion Experience episode of the News series, Hollywood Green with Maria Menounos.
Rande Gerber Facts
- When he was 16 years old, he was scouted by Ford Models on the streets of Manhattan, New York City.
- His life completely changed in the early 1990s while he was working as an agent for Edward S. Gordon and one of Gordon’s client hotelier, Ian Schrager, asked him to find a bar tenant for his Paramount Hotel in Times Square.
- Schrager passed on several options presented by Gerber and then asked Gerber to give it a try. After thinking about the proposal, Gerber decided to open The Whiskey bar in 1991 which became a huge hit among the celebrities.
- He repeated his formula (that emphasized on sophisticated music and ambient atmosphere) and soon opened several bars in other hotels run by Schrager which included the Morgans Hotel on Madison Avenue and the Mondrian in Los Angeles.
- He started the Gerber Group in collaboration with his brothers, Kenny and Scott, and they opened about 37 bars in 17 cities. The group collaborated with W Hotels to open a network of The Whiskey spinoffs.
- In their early years, the Gerber Group reached a deal with Emporio Armani to open a mini-chain of cafes inside the popular brand’s stores.
- Gerber lived next door to George Clooney and they often used to get together for drinks. During these drinking sessions, they would often desire for a tequila that won’t leave a burning sensation after drinking.
- They eventually found a distillery in Mexico through a mutual connection and decided to create their own perfect tequila. They tasted 700 different variations over the period of 3 years before they found the perfect one.
- Initially, they were only producing drinks for their personal use and to give it to their friends. However, they later received a call from their distillery informing them that they would have to get a license or they wouldn’t be allowed to produce any more drinks as they were already consuming too much for the production to qualify as for personal use.
- Hence, in 2013, Rande and Clooney collaborated to launch Casamigos Tequila which was launched with a funny video that featured Clooney in bed with Cindy Crawford.
- Casamigos Tequila was sold to Diageo in June 2017 at a price of $700 million. The brand owners would also pocket as much as $300 million depending on tequila’s performance over the next 10 years.
- Follow Rande Gerber on Twitter and Instagram.
Featured Image by Letiusme / Wikimedia / CC BY-SA 4.0