Regina Rene King
Cincinnati, Ohio, United States
Regina King went to the Westchester High School in Los Angeles.
She then got enrolled at the University of Southern California.
To polish off her acting skills, she has taken training from acting coach Betty A. Bridges. Bridges served as her mentor for 10 years.
Actress, television director
- Father – Thomas King (Electrician)
- Mother – Gloria King (Special Education Teacher)
- Siblings – Reina King (Younger Sister) (Actress)
Regina King is represented by John Carrabino Management.
5 ft 3 in or 160 cm
55 kg or 121 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Regina King has dated –
- Curtis Baldwin – Regina King is reported to have dated actor Curtis Baldwin before she got married to Ian Alexandra Sr. Regina and Curtis started going out after having grown close during the shooting of the TV series, 227.
- Ian Alexander Sr. (1997-2007) – Regina got married to former recording artist and distributor, Ian Alexander Sr. in 1997. They had been dating for some time before they decided to take their relationship to the next level. In fact, she had given birth to a son, Ian Alexander Jr. a year before their marriage. Their marriage lasted for nearly a decade before things started to fall apart for them. They had separated in 2006 with Regina accusing him of cheating on her and physically abusing her. She also mentioned his drug abuse in the divorce filings. However, after their divorce in 2007, they patched up as she didn’t want their son to suffer because of her parents.
- Quentin Richardson (2006) – Regina had a passing and short-lived affair with the basketball player Quentin Richardson in 2006.
- Nicholas Gonzalez (2007) – Regina was reported to be in a relationship with Hispanic actor Nicholas Gonzalez after they were pictured out and about on dates in December 2007 in Los Angeles.
- Malcolm-Jamal Warner (2008-2013) – Regina had known Malcolm-Jamal Warner since the 80’s when they were both working as child actors in the industry. They turned their close friendship into something serious in 2008. In a 2011 interview, King credited their similar professional background for the stability of their relationship. At the end of 2011, it was rumored that they got engaged, which was refuted by both parties. However, their relationship came to a shocking end in early 2013. In February 2013, he had asked King and her teenage son to move out of his house. In a 2015 interview, she hinted that Malcolm had dumped her on Valentine’s eve.
Race / Ethnicity
35-26-35 in or 86-66-89 cm
8 (US) or 40 (EU)
9 (US) or 39.5 (EU)
Regina King has been seen in the TV commercials for –
- Procter & Gamble (Lent her voice to the commercial)
- Beauty with Benefits advert for QVC
- Awlays (2007) (Voiceover)
Best Known For
- Being cast as Brenda Jenkins on the NBC sitcom 227.
- Playing the role of Lydia Adams in the crime drama series, Southland.
In 1991, she first appeared in the teen drama movie Boyz n the Hood for her role as Shalika.
First TV Show
From 1985 to 1990, Regina was seen in the leading role as Brenda Jenkins in NBC sitcom 227.
Regina gets up at around 5 in the morning and relies on a short leg workout to get an energy boost in the morning. She follows up her 5-minute workout with a couple of stretches. After that, she drinks about 24 ounces of water in about an hour.
Her full workout is usually in the evening. Regina hits the gym 3 to 4 times a week. In the gym, she works on lifting weights and squeezes in an occasional kickboxing session. As she feels a bit insecure about her legs, she is slightly partial towards leg exercises such as squats and presses. In case, she is unable to hit the gym, she makes sure that she performs three sets of 20 pushups. She also likes to play racquetball or go dancing for a fun-filled workout.
Regarding diet, she eats clean and healthy. She tries to squeeze at least one salad in the whole day. However, she doesn’t believe in strict dieting and once in a while, enjoys fried food. She also goes for an annual detox, which lasts for about 2 weeks where she completely refrains from processed food, sugars, and simple carbs.
Regina King Favorite Things
- Food – Sweets and fried food
- Guilty Pleasure – Cooking food
- Movie – The Sandlot (1993)
- Acting Mentor – Marla Gibbs
- Vacation Spot – Cabo San Lucas, Cancun, and Playa Del Carmen
- Mexican Resort – Villa del Palmar in Cancun
- Weekend Getaway – Las Vegas
- Cities – Chicago and Los Angeles
- Hotels – Banyan Tree Mayakoba in Playa del Carmen, Villa del Palmar in Cancun, Four Seasons Resort in Bali, Trump Hotel Central Park in New York City, Meadowood Napa Valley in California
- Restaurant – Perch in Los Angeles
Source – Health, IMDb, Chicago Tribune
Regina King Facts
- She only had to narrate three lines in front of casting director at the audition for Boyz ’N the Hood to earn a meeting with producer and director of the show.
- She got enrolled at the University of Southern California after having appeared in five seasons of 227 because she considered acting as a hobby, not a career choice that she would pursue.
- Regina and her son Ian have got matching tattoos as a testimony of their bond. She has got “unconditional love” tattooed in Aramaic on her left forearm.
- In 2010, she wrote a short article for the Huffington Post, in which she lambasted the Emmy Awards for lack of diversity in their award nominations for that year.
- When she got her role opposite Cuba Gooding Jr., she was already one month pregnant with her son, Ian.
- Although she is listed as one of the main cast members in TV series, 24, she has appeared in only 9 episodes out of 204 regular episodes, which is fewer than appearances made by some of the guest stars.
- The meaning of her first name in Latin is “Queen.” Her sister’s first name Reina was inspired by the Spanish word of similar meaning.
- In August 1998, she opened her restaurant, Paio in Los Angeles. She had to collaborate with different investors to raise funds for the venture.
- She has established her own production house by the name of “Royal Ties”. In January 2017, her production house signed a two-year deal with ABC Studios with No Place Safe series, which is based on Atlanta child murders, being the first project.
- Join King on Instagram and Twitter.