|Anthony Fauci Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 7 in|
|Date of Birth||December 24, 1940|
Anthony Fauci is an American physician and immunologist who started serving as the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID) in 1984 and has been one of the lead members of the Trump administration’s White House Coronavirus Task Force addressing the COVID-19 pandemic in the United States.
Anthony Stephen Fauci
New York City, New York, United States
He studied at Regis High School in Manhattan’s Upper East Side and captained the school’s basketball team despite his comparatively shorter stature. He graduated high school in 1958 and then got enrolled at the College of the Holy Cross from where he graduated in 1962 with a Bachelor of Arts degree in Classics with a pre-med track.
Afterward, he graduated first in his class at the medical school at Cornell University Medical College with a Doctor of Medicine in 1966.
- Father – Stephen A. Fauci (Co-owner of a pharmacy)
- Mother – Eugenia Abys Fauci (Co-owner of a pharmacy)
- Sibling – Denise (Sister)
- Others – Antonino Fauci (Paternal Grandfather), Calogera Guardino (Paternal Grandmother), Giovanni John Robert Abys (Maternal Grandfather) (An artist noted for landscape and portrait painting, magazine illustrations (Italy), and graphic design for commercial labels), Raffaella Trematerra (Maternal Grandmother) (Seamstress)
5 ft 7 in or 170 cm
68 kg or 150 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Anthony Fauci has dated –
- Christine Grady (1985-Present) – He met Christine Grady, a nurse and bioethicist with the NIH, while treating a patient and the duo got married in 1985. She has also been appointed as the chief of the Department of Bioethics at the National Institutes of Health Clinical Center. Moreover, the couple parents 3 daughters.
Race / Ethnicity
He is of Italian, Sicilian, and Swiss-Italian descent.
He was raised Catholic but later described himself as a humanist.
Anthony Fauci Facts
- His father was a pharmacist educated from Columbia University and his mother and sister worked the register and Fauci delivered prescriptions.
- His parents’ pharmacy was located in the Dyker Heights section of Brooklyn, directly beneath the family apartment, previously in the Bensonhurst neighborhood.
- After graduating from Cornell University Medical College, he completed an internship and residency in internal medicine at the New York Hospital-Cornell Medical Center, later known as New York-Presbyterian/Weill Cornell Medicine.
- Anthony Fauci has worked with several U.S. Presidents including Ronald Reagan, George Bush, Bill Clinton, George W. Bush, Barack Obama, and Donald Trump.
- He was awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom, the highest civilian award in the United States, for his work on the AIDS relief program known as PEPFAR by President George W. Bush in 2008.
- He is one of the world’s leading experts on infectious diseases, and during the early stages of the COVID-19 pandemic, The New Yorker and The New York Times described Fauci as one of the most trusted medical figures in the United States.
- When Trump contracted coronavirus in 2020, Fauci mentioned that he “wasn’t surprised”.
- President-elect Joe Biden announced on December 4, 2020, that Fauci would, in addition to remaining in his role as director of the NIAID, would serve as Chief Medical Advisor to the President in the Biden administration.
- He was included in People magazine’s “2020 People of the Year” list which also included Selena Gomez, George Clooney, and Regina King.
- Addressing the COVID-19 pandemic, he once said, “I’m not going to walk away from this outbreak no matter who’s the president”.
- In December 2020, he became one of the first public figures to be vaccinated with the Moderna COVID-19 vaccine. He later revealed that he felt no side effects of the vaccine on himself other than an arm ache for nearly 24 hours.
- In January 2021, Dr. Anthony appeared on Rachel Maddow‘s show and revealed that he was actually blocked by the Trump administration to appear on her show and speak with her.
- In 2020 after the pandemic had started, his entire family was getting death threats. His children also directly received death threats on their phones and homes.
Featured Image by NIAID / Flickr / CC BY 2.0