|Rachel Maddow Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 11 in|
|Date of Birth||April 1, 1973|
Rachel Maddow is an American political commentator, television host, and author who is best known for hosting The Rachel Maddow Show on MSNBC since 2008. She has more than 10 million followers on Twitter, more than 3 million followers on Facebook, and more than 250k followers on Instagram.
Rachel Anne Maddow
Castro Valley, California, United States
- New York City, New York, United States
- Manhattan, New York, United States
- West Cummington, Massachusetts, United States
Rachel attended Castro Valley High School and graduated from Stanford University with a degree in Public Policy in 1994.
She was awarded the John Gardner Fellowship, Rhodes Scholarship, and Marshall Scholarship after graduation. Maddow accepted the Rhodes Scholarship and began her postgraduate education at Lincoln College in 1995. Her thesis, HIV/AIDS and Health Care Reform in British and American Prisons earned her a Ph.D. in Philosophy from the University of Oxford in 2001.
Television Host, Political Commentator, Author
- Father – Robert B. Maddow (US Air Force Captain, Lawyer)
- Mother – Elaine Maddow (née Gosse) (School Program Administrator)
- Siblings – David Maddow (Older Brother)
- Others – Bernard Maddow (Paternal Grandfather), Gertrude Maria Smits (Paternal Grandmother), Daniel Joseph Gosse (Maternal Grandfather), Anne F. McGrath (Maternal Grandmother)
5 ft 11 in or 180.5 cm
66 kg or 145.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Rachel has dated –
- Susan Mikula (1999-Present) – Rachel has been in a long-term relationship with photographer and artist Susan Mikula since 1999. For Rachel, it was love at first sight.
Race / Ethnicity
She has Ashkenazi Jewish (25%) and Dutch (25%) ancestry on her father’s side and is of English and Irish descent on her mother’s side.
However, she had long straight blonde hair when in high school.
Two birthmarks on her neck
She has endorsed the ‘Xfinity’ brand.
Rachel Maddow Favorite Things
- Names – Angostura, Peychaud
- Smell – Clean river on a spring day
- Drink To Make – Tantris Sidecar (Audrey Saunders’ recipe)
- Bars – Pegu Club (New York), Daddy-O (New York)
- Cocktails – Hemingway with Rhum Agricole, Agricole Daiquiri
- Bands – Radiohead, Lucero
- Films – The Manchurian Candidate (1962), The Thin Man (1934)
- Brands Of Rye Whiskey – Michter’s, Pikesville, Rittenhouse, Sazerac
- Republican – Abraham Lincoln
- Reality Series – Ice Loves Coco
- Book – Saga (Graphic comic book series)
Rachel Maddow Facts
- Her parents discovered that she was a lesbian after reading her interview in the college newspaper where she outed herself as gay in her freshman year.
- Rachel released her debut book titled Drift: The Unmooring of American Military Power in 2012. She was nominated for a Grammy Award in the ‘Best Spoken Word Album’ category but lost to Janice Ian for her memoir, Society’s Child.
- Her favorite hobby is fishing, which she does often to unwind. Sometimes, she does fishing at midnight at Hudson River in NYC.
- She was the first-ever openly gay student to receive a Rhodes Scholarship.
- Rachel has suffered from cyclical depression since her teenage years. She exercises regularly to sustain her mental health.
- Rachel’s partner Susan had battled coronavirus in 2020 and at one point, there were chances that the virus could have killed her.
- In August 2021, it was reported that Rachel was considering leaving MSNBC in 2022 at the end of her contract. However, later that month, it was revealed that she had signed a new deal with the network that would keep her at the outlet beyond 2022. According to the deal, she would be able to develop other projects with NBCUniversal.
- In October 2021, Rachel underwent surgery for skin cancer at NYU Langone.
- In 2021, Rachel was ranked #29 in the list of “50 Most Influential People on Twitter” as per Brandwatch Consumer Research. Taylor Swift was ranked #1.
- In January 2022, Rachel went on a hiatus from MSNBC to focus on some other projects such as a podcast for NBCUniversal.
- Rachel wears her dad’s high school ring which has a pirate ship on it.
- Maddow has worked on HIV/AIDS issues with the ACLU National Prison Project.
- She has also worked on prison issues with National Minority AIDS Council.
- Rachel finds it difficult to pronounce the word ‘sixth’.
- She has big hands.
- While studying, she had skipped a grade.
- Her mother is from Newfoundland.
- Rachel’s first cousin was a professional wrestler in Canada.
- Rachel has had laser eye surgery live on the radio in the past.
- Rachel learned to split the wood from her pastor.
- She believes in love at first sight since she has experienced it.
- In late 2010s, she was driving 2010 Ford pickup vehicle.
- When she was in junior high orchestra, she played almost every instrument. However, she was not good at any of them.
- Rachel has written the introduction to the Batwoman comic book.
- She has 2 black dogs (big-sized).
- Rachel listens to slow, sad, tear-in-your-beer country music while working out.
- She likes putting mustard on her eggs.
- Rachel has a retainer in her mouth which was installed by her orthodontist when she was in sophomore class in high school. She has taken second opinion as well but everybody has told her to keep it there.
- Rachel once gave a spy comic called Queen & Country at the Intelligence Committee to a senator.
Featured Image by Paul Schultz / Wikimedia / CC BY 2.0