|Rekha Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 7 in|
|Date of Birth||October 10, 1954|
Rekha is an Indian film actress who is popularly known for her work in films like Umrao Jaan, Khubsoorat, Ghar, and many more. She is considered to be a versatile actress and one of the best actresses of all time. Rekha made her debut as a lead in the film Sawan Bhadon in 1970. She has often played very prominent female parts and has even won a National Film Award.
Rekha, Bollywood Queen, Madame X
Madras, Madras State, India
Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
Rekha attended the Sacred Heart Convent for Girls in Yercaud, Tamil Nadu. She quit school at the age of 13 to pursue a career in acting due to her financial condition.
Actress, Politician, Singer
- Father – Gemini Ganesan (Actor)
- Mother – Pushpavalli (Actress)
- Others – Savitri (Step-Mother), Shubha (Cousin), Vedantam Raghavaiah (Uncle), Kamala Selvaraj (Half-Sister). She also has a half-brother and 5 half-sisters.
Rekha is managed by Farzana.
5 ft 7 in or 170 cm
62 kg or 136.5 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Rekha has dated –
- Sajid Khan
- Navin Nischol
- Biswajit Chatterjee
- Kiran Kumar
- Vinod Mehra (1973) – They were rumored to be married in 1973. However, Rekha declined all the rumors stating that he was a “well-wisher”.
- Yash Kohli – They were rumored to be married in the past.
- Amitabh Bachchan
- Mukesh Aggarwal (1990-1991) – They got married in 1990 but Mukesh committed suicide and died in 1991.
Race / Ethnicity
She has Tamilian ancestry.
Often wears a saree
She has been a part of the commercials for brands like –
- Gold Spot Drink
Rekha’s Favorite Things
- Food – Fresh fruits and leafy vegetables
- Restaurants – China Garden, Shamiana at the Taj, the Zodiac Grill, Thai Pavilion, and Konkan Café.
- Western Singers – Laura Branigan, Barbra Streisand, Bryan Adams, Whitney Houston, and Sting
- Her father refused to acknowledge his paternity towards her.
- She wanted to be an air hostess but was rejected due to her young age.
- Her poor financial conditions forced her to work in B and C grade films.
- Due to her dark complexion, she was referred to as an ugly duckling.
- She has also sung 2 songs for her film Khubsoorat (1980).
- It is believed that she has never had a stylist and picks her own clothes.
- She is known to be punctual on sets.
- Rekha received the Padma Shri in 2010 for her immense contribution to Indian Cinema.
- She made her debut as a child artist in the Telugu film Rangula Ratnam (1966).
- She is a vegetarian and spends most of her time painting and gardening.
- A significant turning point in her career came when she starred in the film Ghar (1978).
- Some of her biggest hits have been opposite Amitabh Bachchan.
- She loves putting on makeup and it is believed that she used to make friends with air-hostess and ask them to get her the best makeup.
- Rekha is known to be the first actress who got herself enrolled in a gym.
- She loves to wear Kanjeevaram saree.
- Rekha is best friends with Hemal Malini.
- Her film, Muqaddar Ka Sikandar was the biggest hit of 1978.
- Umrao Jaan (1981) is considered to be her career-best performance and she also won a National Award for her performance.
- Rediff listed her as the 9th greatest Indian actress of all time in 2011.
Featured Image by Bollywood Hungama / www.bollywoodhungama.com / CC BY-3.0