|Rex Harrison Quick Info|
|Height||6 ft 1 in|
|Date of Birth||March 5, 1908|
|Date of Death||June 2, 1990|
Rex Harrison was a veteran English actor who enjoyed an illustrious career in Hollywood and starred in acclaimed films like My Fair Lady (1964), Cleopatra (1963), Major Barbara (1941), Doctor Dolittle (1967), The Agony and the Ecstasy (1965), Anna and the King of Siam (1946), etc.
Reginald Carey Harrison
Rex, Sexy Rexy
He was born on March 5, 1908.
He passed away from pancreatic cancer on June 2, 1990, in his Manhattan home at the age of 82 years.
Huyton, Lancashire, England, United Kingdom
He received his education from Liverpool College in Merseyside, England.
- Father – William Reginald Harrison (Cotton Broker)
- Mother – Edith Mary (née Carey)
- Siblings – Edith Marjorie Harrison (Older Sister), Sylvia Margaret Sackville (Older Sister)
6 ft 1 in or 185.5 cm
88 kg or 194 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Rex Harrison had dated –
- Vivien Leigh
- Lana Turner – RUMOR
- Noel Margery Colette-Thomas (1932-1942) – He wed Noel Margery Colette-Thomas in 1933. His wife gave birth to their son Noel Harrison (January 29, 1934 – October 19, 2013), who later became an actor, singer, and Olympic skier. However, the couple got divorced in 1942.
- Merle Oberon (1939-1941)
- Lilli Palmer (1942-1957) – The German actress Lilli Palmer married Harrison on January 25, 1943. Their marriage produced a son named Carey Harrison (b. February 19, 1944) before ending in divorce on February 6, 1957.
- Carole Landis (1947-1948) – Rex’s torrid affair with the actress Carole Landis lasted from 1947 until her death by suicide on July 5, 1948.
- Kay Kendall (1955-1959) – After divorcing Palmer, he married Kay Kendall, an actress and comedian, on June 22, 1957. Their marriage was short-lived, however, as Kendall died from myeloid leukemia on September 6, 1959.
- Rachel Roberts (1962-1971) – His marriage to Rachel Roberts lasted from March 21, 1962, until February 19, 1971. The Welsh actress committed suicide on November 26, 1980, after failing to win back the affections of her then-ex-husband, Harrison.
- Elizabeth Rees (1969-1975) – On August 26, 1971, he got married to Elizabeth Rees. But, the two parted ways on December 16, 1975.
- Talitha Pol (1962)
- Gayle Hunnicutt (1976)
- Mercia Tinker (1978-1990) – He tied the knot with Mercia Tinker on December 17, 1978. The couple stayed together for nearly 12 years until his death on June 2, 1990.
Race / Ethnicity
He had English and Scottish ancestry.
- Brash personality
- Hooded eyes
- Dimpled smile
Rex Harrison Facts
- He chose the stage name Rex because it meant ‘king’ in Latin.
- Harrison was knighted by Queen Elizabeth II at the Buckingham Palace on June 17, 1989.
- A bout of measles in his childhood rendered his left eye almost without any vision.
- According to Harrison, his best film performance was as Julius Caesar in Cleopatra (1963) and not as Henry Higgins in My Fair Lady (1964); a role that earned him the Academy Award for ‘Best Actor’ in 1965.
- He had once punched Frank Sinatra in the jaw because he thought that the blue-eyed singer was flirting with his then-wife, Lilli Palmer. Nevertheless, the two forged a long-lasting friendship later in life.
- Harrison was the inspiration for the voice of Stewie Griffin in the animated series, Family Guy.
- The checked wool hat that he had popularized through the film and Broadway production of My Fair Lady (1964) was labeled ‘The Rex Harrison’ in his honor.
Featured Image by Allan Warren / Wikimedia / CC BY-SA 3.0
It’s more like 186 cm and 88 kg
His hair turned kind of grayish