|Rhys Hoskins Quick Info|
|Height||6 ft 4 in|
|Date of Birth||March 17, 1993|
Rhys Hoskins is an American professional baseball first baseman who played college baseball for the Sacramento State Hornets. He has also played for the Philadelphia Phillies of Major League Baseball (MLB) after he was drafted by the team in the 2014 MLB draft.
Rhys Dean Hoskins
Sacramento, Sacramento County, California, United States
Rhys Hoskins studied at Jesuit High School, a private Catholic college-preparatory high school located in Carmichael, Sacramento County, California. During his time there, he became a multi-sport athlete and played baseball, basketball, and football while maintaining a 4.0 grade-point average. In 2011, he graduated high school.
After that, he attended California State University, Sacramento on a scholarship and played for the Sacramento State Hornets. It was the only college that offered him a scholarship.
Professional Baseball Player
- Father – Paul Hoskins (Lawyer)
- Mother – Cathy Hoskins (Lawyer)
- Siblings – Meloria Hoskins (Younger Sister)
- Others – Waldo Raymond Reynolds (Maternal Grandfather), Joy Anne Thomson (Maternal Grandmother)
6 ft 4 in or 193 cm
111 kg or 244.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Rhys Hoskins has dated –
- Jayme Bermudez – He was romantically involved with Jayme Bermudez for some time before they got engaged in the year 2018. The couple tied the knot on November 9, 2019. One of the groomsmen at the wedding was Rhys’ Phillies teammate Scott Kingery.
Race / Ethnicity
Rhys Hoskins is of German, English, and Italian descent.
Rhys Hoskins Facts
- He spent his childhood years growing up in Sacramento, California.
- Growing up, he was a competitive child who was eager to win at card and board games as well as pickup games in the family’s backyard.
- Rhys Hoskins was 2 years old when his mother was diagnosed with breast cancer and she eventually died from the disease in 2009.
- His parents encouraged him to experience a variety of activities instead of just focusing entirely on one sport.
- He initially modeled his baseball performance after former professional baseball player J. T. Snow and then after professional baseball player Paul Goldschmidt.
- One of Rhys Hoskins’ teammates at Jesuit High School was future professional baseball player Zach Green who was highly sought after in the 2012 MLB Draft.
- He graduated high school with a career .421 batting average, 28 runs batted in (RBIs), and a .544 on-base percentage.
- After graduating high school, he decided not to turn professional immediately and opted to pursue college baseball in order to better develop the mental aspect of the game.
- As a freshman, Rhys Hoskins was named Western Athletic Conference Freshman of the Year, National Collegiate Baseball Writers Association First Team Freshman All-American, Baseball America First Team Freshman All-American, Louisville Slugger Freshman All-American (Collegiate Baseball Newspaper), All-WAC second team, and Academic All-WAC.
- He went on to play collegiate summer baseball with the Falmouth Commodores of the Cape Cod Baseball League in 2013 and was named a league all-star.
- As a junior, he was named WAC Player of the Year, Louisville Slugger Third Team All-American (Collegiate Baseball), Second Team All-West Region (ABCA/Rawlings), First Team All-WAC, and Academic All-WAC.
- In the 2014 MLB Draft, Rhys Hoskins was picked by the Philadelphia Phillies in the fifth round as the 142nd overall. He subsequently signed with the team for a $349,700 signing bonus.
- In 2014, he made his professional debut with the Class A Short Season Williamsport Crosscutters of the New York–Penn League.
- Rhys Hoskins has been a lifelong fan of the San Francisco Giants of Major League Baseball (MLB).
Featured Image by Ian D’Andrea / Flickr / CC BY-SA 2.0 DEED