|Riley Meredith Quick Info|
|Date of Birth||June 21, 1996|
Riley Meredith is an Australian professional cricketer who has risen through the ranks rapidly ever since his debut in domestic cricket in the 2017-18 season. He was first called up to Australia’s preliminary international squad in July 2020 to train for the country’s tour of England. In January 2021, he was named in Australia’s main squad that was set to tour New Zealand in February, for a series of limited-overs matches. A frontline pace bowler, he has turned out for his home state of Tasmania (2017-18–Present) in Australian domestic cricket and the Hobart Hurricanes (2017-18–Present) in the Big Bash League (BBL). He hit the global cricket headlines in February 2021 when the Punjab Kings bought him for USD 1.096 million in the year’s IPL (Indian Premier League) player auction. This had made him the 5th-most expensive uncapped player (a player who hasn’t represented his country in an international match) ever to have been signed at an IPL auction.
Hobart, Tasmania, Australia
Hobart, Tasmania, Australia
- 21 – Hobart Hurricanes (Big Bash League)
6 ft or 183 cm
75 kg or 165.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Riley has dated –
- Maddie Gowans (2018–Present)
Race / Ethnicity
He is of Australian descent.
- Toned physique
- Affable smile
- Side-cropped, wavy hair
- Often sports a mustache
Riley Meredith Facts
- He had already made his List A (one-day format) debut before he got a chance to play T20s in franchise competitions. He had been selected to represent a Cricket Australia XI that faced off against the touring Pakistanis in a warm-up match, in January 2017.
- His T20 debut came about through a slice of fortune. He was a part of the Hobart Hurricanes squad for the 2017–18 BBL season but had not broken into the playing 11 yet when a freak injury to the team’s English recruit, Tymal Mills, gave him an opportunity to play in both the semi-final and the final of the competition that year. These were not just his first 2 matches for the franchise but the first 2 matches of his T20 career.
- The following season (2018-19) proved to be the breakthrough of his career across all formats as he captured 27 wickets for Tasmania in 8 matches in the Sheffield Shield (Australia’s premier domestic first-class cricket competition) and recorded 16 scalps in the BBL, helping the Hobart Hurricanes reach the semi-finals.
- His 2019-20 BBL season was heavily impacted by a severe side strain that limited his engagement to just a few matches that season. He still managed to impress upon his comeback though, as he picked 10 wickets at a miserly economy rate of 6.68.
- The 2020-21 season of the BBL had cemented his burgeoning reputation as one of the leading fresh talents in pace bowling as he picked 16 wickets at an economy rate of 7.82. Although his economy rate was slightly higher than the last season, it was offset by the fact he had been tasked with bowling the tough powerplay overs, at the start and the death of his team’s bowling innings.
- He has adopted a pet greyhound named Elton.
Featured Image by Riley Meredith / Instagram