|Ringo Starr Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 6 in|
|Date of Birth||July 7, 1940|
Ringo Starr is an English musician, singer, and actor who is known globally as the drummer for the iconic music group The Beatles. He occasionally used to contribute vocals for the group’s music and even co-wrote some of their songs. After the band’s break-up in 1970, he embarked on a solo career for a few years and released several singles that became big hits in both the UK and the United States. In the 2nd half of his career, he featured in several documentaries and even hosted a few TV shows and in 1989, he started touring the world with the rock supergroup Ringo Starr & His All-Starr Band. Ringo was inducted into the ‘Modern Drummer Hall of Fame’ in 1998 and was appointed a ‘Knight Bachelor’ in 2018 for his contribution to music.
Ringo Starr, Ritchie, Lazarus
9 Madryn Street, Dingle, Liverpool, England, United Kingdom
He splits his time between his residences in Cranleigh, England, United Kingdom; Los Angeles, California, United States; and Monte Carlo, Monaco.
Ringo attended St. Silas, a Church of England primary school and then Dingle Vale Secondary Modern School. However, due to a string of illnesses and hospitalizations, he fell behind his peers and became ineligible for the 11-plus qualifying examination that was a prerequisite for attendance at a grammar school.
After his recovery, he decided against continuing formal education and directly entered the workforce.
Musician, Singer, Songwriter, Actor
- Father – Richard Starkey (Confectioner) (d. 1981)
- Mother – Elsie Gleave (Confectioner) (d. 1987)
- Others – Harry Graves (Step-Father), John Parkin Starkey (Paternal Grandfather), Henry Parkin Starkey (Paternal Great Grandfather), Annie Starkey (Paternal Great Grandmother), Annie Bower (Paternal Grandmother), Alfred Bower (Paternal Great Grandfather), Margaret Ellen Parr (Paternal Great Grandmother), David Bower (Paternal Great Great Grandfather), Joseph Parr (Paternal Great Great Grandfather), Catherine Rodenhurst (Paternal Great Great Grandmother), John Gleave (Maternal Grandfather), William Gleave (Maternal Great Grandfather), Mary Kate Conroy (Maternal Great Grandmother), William Gleave Sr. (Maternal Great Great Grandfather), William Conroy (Maternal Great Great Grandfather), Catherine Martha Johnson (Maternal Grandmother), Andrew Johnson (Maternal Great Grandfather), Mary Elizabeth Cunningham (Maternal Great Grandmother), Peter Johnson (Maternal Great Great Grandfather), Philadelphia Tait (Maternal Great Great Grandmother), James Cunningham (Maternal Great Great Grandfather), Joe Walsh (Brother-in-Law) (Guitarist), Flora Evans (Daughter-in-Law), Jay Mehler (Son-in-Law) (Musician), Marjorie Bach (Sister-in-Law)
He is represented by –
- Celebrity Talent International, Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
- Jeremy Norkin, Booking Agent, United Talent Agency, Miami, Florida, United States
- Neil Warnock, Booking Agent, United Talent Agency, London, England, United Kingdom
- Parlophone Records Limited
- United Artists Records
- Capitol Records
- Apple Records
- Swan Records
- Vee-Jay Records
- Tollie Records
- Atlantic Recording Corporation
- RCA Records
- Mercury Records
- Koch (Entertainment One Music)
- Private Music
- Boardwalk Records
- Hip-O Records
5 ft 6 in or 167.5 cm
70 kg or 154.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Ringo has dated –
- Christine Keeler
- Uschi Obermaier
- Debralee Scott
- Stephanie La Motta
- Geraldine McGovern (1957-1961)
- Patricia Davies (1957-1962)
- Maureen Cox (1962–1975) – Ringo married British hairdresser Maureen Cox on February 11, 1965. They have 3 children together – 2 sons named Zak Starkey (Drummer) (b. September 13, 1965) and Jason Starkey (b. August 19, 1967), and a daughter named Lee Starkey (b. November 11, 1970). The couple was divorced in 1975. Ringo has 8 grandchildren – 1 from Zak, 4 from Jason, and 3 from Lee.
- Paula Bennet (1963)
- Vicki Hodge (1964)
- Chris O’Dell (1973)
- Nancy Lee Andrews (1974-1980)
- Lynsey de Paul (1975-1976)
- Samantha Juste (1976-1979)
- Susan Alpert (1977)
- Shelley Duvall (1978-1980)
- Barbara Bach (1980-Present) – Ringo first met American actress and model Barbara Bach in 1980 on the sets of the film Caveman. They got married on April 27, 1981.
Race / Ethnicity
He is of English, Scottish, and Irish descent.
- Sports a rugged beard
- Short-cropped hair
- Always appears in sunglasses
- Wears a stud on his left ear with a ‘Star’ marked on it
- Often poses with the ‘Peace’ sign, representing his catchphrase ‘Peace and Love’
7 (UK) or 8 (US) or 41 (EU)
Ringo has served as the ambassador for the footwear brand Skechers.
He has appeared in the TV commercials for brands such as –
- Pizza Hut Stuffed Crust Pizza
- Sun Country Wine Cooler (1986)
- Charles Schwab Investing (2000)
- “Rock Out in Comfort” for Relax Fit Shoes from Skechers
Ringo Starr Favorite Things
- Music Genres – Blues, Skiffle, Rock and Roll, Country, Jazz
- Musicians/Inspirational Figures – Hank Williams, Buck Owens, Hank Snow, Chico Hamilton, Yusef Lateef, Gene Autry, Lee Dorsey
- Drummer – Jim Keltner
- Comedy Series – Monty Python’s Flying Circus (1969-1974)
Ringo Starr Facts
- Before breaking out as a drummer, he used to work for the British Rail and even served as a machinist at an equipment manufacturer in his hometown of Liverpool.
- In 1957, he co-founded the Eddie Clayton Skiffle Group but the band fell apart by 1958 as the craze for the skiffle musical genre gave way to the charms of American rock and roll.
- When The Beatles began operating in 1960, he was a part of another group called Rory Storm and the Hurricanes. After achieving moderate success with the band, he joined The Beatles in 1962 and replaced drummer Pete Best.
- A minor planet that was discovered on August 31, 1984, by the Anderson Mesa Station of the Lowell Observatory in Arizona, was named as 4150 Starr in his honor.
- In 2011, in a public poll by the Rolling Stone magazine, he was named as the fifth-greatest drummer of all time.
- He has been inducted into the ‘Rock and Roll Hall of Fame’ twice – first as a Beatle in 1988 and then for his solo career in 2015.
- Ringo was naturally left-handed but his grandmother changed his action and made him write right-handed.
- The first part of his stage name, Ringo Starr, was derived from the fact that he used to wear rings on all his fingers. Starr was taken from his actual surname, Starkey.
Featured Image by Eva Rinaldi / Flickr / CC BY-SA 2.0