|Rob Delaney Quick Info|
|Height||6 ft 3 in|
|Date of Birth||January 19, 1977|
Rob Delaney is an American comedian who is considered one of the first among his peers to build an online audience for his personal, confessional, and profane comedic style. Initially based in Los Angeles, he relocated to London, England to write and act in British television shows. His role of Peter W. in Deadpool 2 (2018) earned him appearances in major films such as Anne Hathaway and Rebel Wilson starrer The Hustle (2019) and Lionsgate produced Roger Ailes biopic starring Charlize Theron and Nicole Kidman named Fair and Balanced (2019). He has a huge social media fan base with more than 300k followers on Instagram and more than 2 million followers on Twitter.
Robert Archer Delaney
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
London, England, United Kingdom
Rob went to Jewish Community Center of the North Shore (JCCNS) preschool. He graduated from Marblehead High School in 1995 and was an active participant in musical theatre throughout his schooling.
Rob is an alumnus of New York University’s Tisch School of the Arts. He earned his Bachelor’s degree in Musical Theatre in 1999.
Comedian, Actor, Executive Producer, Writer
- Father – Robert Gerard Delaney (Worked in the Insurance Sector)
- Mother – Nancy Archer Delaney Gwin (Owner at Willard Martin Insurance Agency)
- Siblings – He has a sister who is a teacher.
- Others – Clement Charles Archer (Maternal Grandfather), Helen Margaret Cantwell (Maternal Grandmother). He also has a stepfather.
Rob is represented by Kara Baker, Avalon Management, California, United States.
6 ft 3 in or 190.5 cm
90 kg or 198.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Rob has dated –
- Leah Delaney (2004–Present) – Rob met Leah in 2004. They were volunteering for disabled people at Camp Jabberwocky (Martha’s Vineyard Cerebral Palsy Camp). The comedian shared in another interview that volunteering was a great way to meet new people because that way, he befriended those who were capable of practicing selflessness. The couple later got married and had 4 sons together. Two of their sons were born in the USA while the younger two were born in the UK. Although the comedian is extremely private about the identities and facts about his family members, he publicly grieved the death of his 3rd son named Henry whom he lost to cancer (brain tumor) in January 2018. Rob elaborately shared his emotional struggle while trying to save his third son in an attempt to console fellow parents of sick children. He welcomed the birth of their 5th son in August 2018.
Race / Ethnicity
He has Irish, English, and Welsh ancestry.
- Tall and bulky build
- Hairy body and face giving him a rugged appearance
Rob’s shoe size is likely to be 12–13 (US) or 11–12 (UK) or 45–46 (EU) because he complained about the absence of half sizes on Twitter beyond a certain size that made it difficult for him to find an exact fit for his big feet.
- He ran and judged a joke contest on Twitter for Klondike ice cream bars in 2012.
- After publishing more than 15,000 Tweets, All Things Equal, Inc. approached the comedian for turning his Twitter jokes into a board game for 18+ individuals in 2013.
However, he was raised in a Catholic Christian household.
Best Known For
- Starring and co-writing in the semi-autobiographical sitcom called Catastrophe that aired on British Channel 4 and Amazon Prime for which Rob won the BAFTA TV Craft Award for “Best Writer: Comedy” in 2016 with co-star Sharon Horgan
- Being cast as a civilian named Peter W. to provide additional comic relief in Deadpool 2 (2018)
He made his feature film debut as Whipped Cream A*s Man in a comedy film starring Amy Poehler called Wild Girls Gone in 2007.
First TV Show
He made his first TV show appearance as Dan Humford on Coma, Period. in 2009.
As a voice actor, he made his TV show debut as Night King in an episode of the British animated action-adventure series, Danger Mouse in 2018.
Delaney regularly works out at the gym and his official Instagram account is replete with post-workout selfies. He ran his first marathon in New York City in 2006 to impress his wife before he married her and became a regular participant of races ever since.
The actor shared that he tends to gain mass on his buttocks and thighs. He limits his lower body training to running or following along a home workout DVD such as the Insanity. When in Los Angeles, Rob likes to run on the beach or swim in the ocean even in cold temperatures.
In terms of diet, Delaney has frequently confessed to having little discipline. He claims that he gets his ‘buzz’ from junk food. Fatherhood and stubborn layers of fat on his neck and belly prevent him from a daily food binge. The comedian added that his body weight may easily fluctuate by 20 pounds without creating a visible difference in his physical appearance. Delaney claims that sobriety is his biggest achievement in life, which made it possible for him to have a successful marriage.
Rob Delaney Favorite Things
- Home Town Spot – Driftwood
- Books – Rosy Crucifixion Trilogy (Sexus 1949, Plexus 1953, Nexus 1959) by Henry Miller, Mysteries (1892) and Pan (1894) by Knut Hamsun, Miss Lonelyhearts (1933) by Nathanael West, Gravity’s Rainbow (1973) by Thomas Pynchon, Beloved (1987) by Toni Morrison, Infinite Jest (1996) by David Foster Wallace
- Dessert – Cheesecake
- Animals – Cats, Dogs
- Album – Dead Roots Stirring (2011) by Elder, …Like Clockwork (2013) by Queens of the Stone Age
- Music Genre – Heavy Metal, Desert Rock, Sludge Metal
- Band – The The, Queens of the Stone Age
- Film – You Were Never Really Here (2017)
- Actor – Joaquin Phoenix
- TV Show – Forever
- Podcast – Dear Joan and Jericha
- Short Stories Collection – Fortune Smiles (2015) by Adam Johnson
- Website – allmusic.com
- Author – Margaret E. Atwood
- Cartoonist / Illustrator – Phoebe Gloeckner
- Running Shoe Brand – Brooks
- Bed Design – California King bed (Crate Barrel)
- Body Lotion – Cherry Almond Jergens lotion
- Peanut Butter Texture – Crunchy
- Peanut Butter Brand – Extra Crunchy Skippy Super Chunk
- Sports Memorabilia – 2004 Mike Timlin T-shirt when the Red Sox won the Baseball World Series
- Historical Period – 1970’s London
Rob Delaney Facts
- Delaney speaks fluent French.
- Rob started drinking alcohol at the age of 12 due to which he continued bedwetting well into his puberty and throughout his heavy drinking phase as an adult.
- He attempted bungee jumping off the Manhattan Bridge in 1999 while he was intoxicated. When drunk, he would often climb up telegraph poles, shoplift, or take boat rides.
- The comedian briefly worked as a bell boy in the Hudson Hotel in New York City while studying there.
- Rob’s comedic career gained traction after he started posting his material on Twitter in 2009 that helped him gain more than 1.2 million followers by 2016. He often credits Irish comedian Graham Linehan for helping him gain online popularity by responding to his tweets.
- In 2002, Rob crashed his car into the building of the Los Angeles Department of Water and Power while driving under the influence of alcohol and drugs. He broke his left wrist, right arm, and cut both knees to the bone. He vowed to commit suicide if he had killed another person and committed to sobriety when he realized that his accident did not cause any harm to another human life.
- Six months after quitting alcohol and drugs, Delaney experienced severe clinical depression. He retained his sanity through therapy and anti-depressants that he consumes till date. After that, stand-up comedy became an immediate source of positive self-treatment for Rob’s depression.
- He created a verified Twitter account of his Deadpool 2 (2018) character Peter W. that was followed by Ryan Reynolds and the official Deadpool page. Rob created a fictional personal life of Peter through a series of tweets that were a part of his online marketing campaign for the movie.
- Rob did not audition for Deadpool 2 (2018). Ryan Reynolds liked his work in Catastrophe and asked him if he would like to be a part of his movie to which Delaney agreed without knowing anything about his role in the movie.
- Paste magazine labeled Rob as one of “10 Funniest People on Twitter” in 2010.
- In 2012, he won The Comedy Award in the “Funniest Person on Twitter” category.
- Delaney even met his Catastrophe co-writer Sharon Horgan through Twitter. Other than connecting over similar family lives, Sharon made him laugh with her sense of humor, and the two forged a friendship over lunch in Los Angeles.
- He often works as a guest writer for Vice magazine and The Guardian.
- As an alcoholic in remission, Delaney put together a memoir called Rob Delaney: Mother. Wife. Sister. Human. Warrior. Falcon. Yardstick. Turban. Cabbage and published it in 2013 to share his struggle with addiction and depression in a series of humorously compiled essays.
- The comedian’s political views are left-wing progressive. In the 2016 Presidential election, Rob supported Bernie Sanders in the Democratic Primary and Hillary Clinton in the General Election. He continued to endorse Bernie Sanders for his 2nd presidential campaign in 2019. Rob supports political figures who primarily focus on education and healthcare reform.
- The comedian was a supporter of the Labor Party in 2017 UK General Election and strongly favored their campaign Momentum to prevent the EU withdrawal agreement of Britain arranged by Theresa May’s government.
- He was the first presenter to narrate a story on CBeebies Bed Time Stories in Makaton language program meant for people with learning disabilities. Rob used to communicate with his now deceased son Henry in that language.
- To find out more about Rob Delaney, visit his official website @ www.robdelaney.com.
- Follow him on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Tumblr.
Featured Image by Rob Delaney / Instagram