|Ruturaj Gaikwad Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 8 in|
|Date of Birth||January 31, 1997|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
Ruturaj Gaikwad is an Indian professional cricketer who has played for his home state of Maharashtra (2016–Present) across all 3 formats, as a top-order batsman, in the Indian domestic circuit. In the IPL (Indian Premier League), he has turned out for Chennai Super Kings (2019–Present). He came into the spotlight in December 2018 when he was acquired by the Chennai Super Kings franchise, for his base price of INR 20 lakhs, after consistent performances throughout his domestic career, particularly in List-A cricket. Ruturaj was on the bench during the 2019 IPL season and had received an opportunity the following year after the team had suffered an unprecedented poor performance in the early stages of the competition. He had struggled in his first few matches but had ended the season as the first Indian uncapped player in the tournament’s history to have scored half-centuries in 3 successive matches. In June 2021, he was selected in India’s ODI and T20I squads for their bilateral limited-overs series against Sri Lanka, scheduled for July 2021.
Ruturaj Dashrath Gaikwad
Pune, Maharashtra, India
Pune, Maharashtra, India
Ruturaj had attended the St. Joseph Boys’ High School in Khadki, Pune until he was in the 8th grade. Thereafter, he had joined the Laxmibai Nandgude High School in Pimple Nilakh, Pune.
After clearing his 10th-grade exams, he had joined the Marathwada Mitra Mandal’s College of Commerce (MMCC) in Deccan Gymkhana, Pune. He had studied there until 12th grade.
- Father – Dashrath Gaikwad (Former Super One Class Officer in DRDO (Defence Research and Development Organisation))
- Mother – Savita Gaikwad (Municipal School Teacher)
- Siblings – He has a sister.
He is represented by Baseline Ventures, Sports Marketing, Entertainment & Brand Licensing Company, Mumbai, Maharashtra, India.
Right-Arm Off Break
Top Order Batsman
31 – Chennai Super Kings (IPL), Youth ODI
5 ft 8 in or 173 cm
72 kg or 158.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Ruturaj has dated –
- Sayali Sanjeev – Rumor
- Utkarsha Pawar – Cricketers Utkarsha Amar Pawar and Ruturaj got married in June 2023. Utkarsha is a fast bowler and started playing cricket at 11. She has also studied at the Institute of Nutrition and Fitness Sciences (INFS), Pune.
Race / Ethnicity
- Toned physique
- Side-cropped, wavy hair
- Affable smile
- Sports a thick beard
Ruturaj Gaikwad Facts
- He was the 3rd highest run-getter for Maharashtra in the 2016–17 season of the Vijay Hazare Trophy (India’s premier domestic one-day cricket competition).
- He was out for a golden duck (dismissed off the first ball faced without scoring a run) when he had made his debut for the representative India A team, against England Lions. in January 2019.
- It was just the calm before the storm though as he smoked 677 runs at an average of 112.83 and a strike rate of 116.72 in his next 9 List-A innings during India A‘s home series against Sri Lanka A and away series against West Indies A.
- He was the highest run-getter for Maharashtra in the league stage of the 2018-19 season of the Syed Mushtaq Ali Trophy (India’s premier domestic T20 cricket competition).
- In August 2020, just before the start of the IPL season, he had tested positive for COVID-19. He had made a full recovery and had even made his IPL debut in the latter half of the season.
- In November 2022, Ruturaj became the first-ever cricketer in the world to smash 7 sixes in an over while he was playing against Uttar Pradesh on the spin bowling of Shiva Singh in the Vijay Hazare Trophy quarter-final match. 43 runs were given in that over by Shiva (which included a no-ball).
- In August 2023, Gaikwad hit his highest score in international cricket which was 58 runs from 43 balls. It came from a T20I against Ireland.
- In November 2023, he became the 3rd Indian batter to be dismissed for a diamond duck (one who gets out without facing a single ball) in a T20I. Before him, Amit Mishra and Jasprit Bumrah were part of this list.
- On November 28, 2023, Gaikwad hit the 2nd highest score by an Indian in T20I cricket history. He scored 123 not out from 57 balls in a T20I against Australia.
Featured Image by Ruturaj Gaikwad / Instagram