|Sam Taylor-Johnson Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 7½ in|
|Date of Birth||March 4, 1967|
Sam Taylor-Johnson is a talented English filmmaker and photographer. She is recognized for directing films like A Million Little Pieces, Fifty Shades of Grey, and Nowhere Boy, along with the TV series, Gypsy. She has also directed music videos like The Weeknd’s “Earned It”, R.E.M.’s “Überlin”, and Elton John’s “Turn the Lights Out When You Leave” and “I Want Love”. As a photographer, she is renowned for projects like 26 October 1993, Killing Time, Travesty of a Mockery, Pent-Up, and Crying Men. She has garnered a loyal fan following of over 400k followers on her Instagram account.
Samantha Louise Taylor-Wood
Croydon, England, United Kingdom
London, England, United Kingdom
Sam Taylor-Johnson attended Beacon Community College in East Sussex. Later, she studied arts at the Goldsmiths, University of London.
Filmmaker, Photographer cum Visual Artist
- Father – David Wood (Chartered Surveyor)
- Mother – Geraldine Wood (Yoga Teacher, Astrologer)
- Siblings – Ashley Wood (Younger Sister)
- Others – Kristian Taylor-Wood (Maternal Half-Brother)
Sam Taylor-Johnson is managed by Brillstein Entertainment Partners, Talent Management Company, Beverly Hills, California, United States.
5 ft 7½ in or 171.5 cm
58 kg or 128 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Sam Taylor-Johnson has dated –
- Jake Chapman – Sam dated visual artist Jake Chapman, one of the famous Chapman Brothers, for 9 years.
- Jay Jopling (1997–2008) – Sam was married to art dealer and gallerist, Jay Jopling, for 11 years. Sam and Jay tied the knot in 1997. They have 2 daughters, Angelica (born June 1997) and Jessie Phoenix (born November 2005). However, the couple separated amicably in September 2008.
- Aaron Taylor-Johnson (2009-Present) – In 2009, Sam began dating actor Aaron Johnson. The two met during the filming of Nowhere Baby. At that time, Aaron was just 18 years old while Sam was 42. The same year, the couple got engaged. They finally tied the knot on June 21, 2012, at Babington House in Somerset. After that, they both changed their last names to Taylor-Johnson. They are blessed with 2 daughters, Wylda Rae (born July 7, 2010) and Romy Hero (born January 18, 2012).
Race / Ethnicity
- Deep set eyes
- Lean figure
She has not endorsed any brand yet.
Best Known For
- Her fine art photography works which include 26 October 1993 (the early 1990s), Killing Time (1994), Travesty of a Mockery (1996), Pent-Up (1996), and Crying Men (shot between 2002-2004)
- Her directorial works including the films A Million Little Pieces (2018), Fifty Shades of Grey (2015), and Nowhere Boy (2009); TV series like Gypsy (2017) (2 episodes); short films like James Bond Supports International Women’s Day (2011), Love You More (2008), and Misfit (1996); music videos like The Weeknd’s “Earned It” (2015), R.E.M.’s “Überlin” (2011), and Elton John’s “Turn the Lights Out When You Leave” (2005) and “I Want Love” (2001)
In 1994, she made her theatrical film debut in the horror drama film, Boy Meets Girl.
First TV Show
In 2003, she made her first TV show appearance as a panelist in the discussion programme, The Review Show.
Sam Taylor-Johnson practices yoga for her well being. She also credits Transcendental Meditation in helping her cope with and fight her illness.
As for her diet, Sam follows a dairy-free eating habit after her recovery from cancer the 2nd time. She has also reduced her alcohol consumption.
Sam Taylor-Johnson Favorite Things
- Smell – Building sites, musty cellars
- Word – Serendipity
- Book – The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami
- Camera – Leica M7
- Belonging – Postcard of Francis Bacon in Primrose Hill
Source – The Guardian, IMDb
Sam Taylor-Johnson Facts
- In her early childhood, Sam grew up near Streatham Common in south London.
- She was just 9 when her father left the family.
- After her parents’ divorce, her family moved to Jarvis Brook in East Sussex.
- When she was 15, her hippy mother abandoned her, leaving a note that she would come back for the children once she is settled.
- Since then, she has had a rocky relationship with her mother.
- Sam is a cancer survivor, colon cancer in 1997 and then breast cancer in 2000.
- In 2011, she received the title of Officer of the Order of the British Empire (OBE) for her contribution to arts.
- Sam wrote a segment of Destricted (2006) and the screenplay of A Million Little Pieces (2018).
- She has worked as an executive producer for the TV series Gypsy for 10 episodes.
- In June 2017, Sam admitted regret for directing the first film of E.L. James’ novel adaptation Fifty Shades of Grey.
- In 1998, she was nominated for the Turner Prize.
- In 1997, she won the Illy Café Prize for Most Promising Young Artist in Venice Biennale.
- Her guilty pleasure is buying a new pair of boots.
- Her earliest childhood memory is dancing naked on her nan’s kitchen table singing “Sugar, Sugar” when she was 5.
- The person she admires the most is her great auntie Winnie.
- Apart from her property, the other most expensive thing that she has bought is a photograph by William Eggleston.
- The trait she most deplores in herself is her inability to sit still.
- The trait she most deplores in others is disloyalty and greed.
- Her most treasured possession is her sanity.
- If she could live in one place, she would live in Bali, Indonesia.
- If she could have a superpower, it would be the ability to fly.
- She would want Daniel Craig to play her in the film based on her life.
- Her most unappealing habit is texting.
- She would want Joaquin Phoenix, Anthony Minghella, and Johnny Cash to join her on a dream dinner party.
- If she could go back in time, she would go straight into Elvis‘s bed – but not in the 70s.
- The single thing that would improve the quality of her life is not having to use a mobile phone.
- Her greatest achievement is her children.
- The song she would want to be played at her funeral is MC Hammer’s U Can’t Touch This.
- The most important lesson life has taught her is that today is the tomorrow that she had worried about yesterday.
- Visit her official website @ samtaylorjohnson.com.
- Follow Sam Taylor-Johnson on Instagram.
Featured Image by Sam Taylor-Johnson / Instagram