|Sanjay Gandhi Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 9 in|
|Date of Birth||December 14, 1946|
|Died||June 23, 1980|
Sanjay Gandhi was an Indian politician who was notably known to be the younger son of politician Indira Gandhi and brother to Rajiv Gandhi. He was often viewed as the person who would have succeeded in his mother’s place as the Prime Minister as he had shown a great deal of interest in political affairs. However, his life was cut short in a plane accident that took place near Safdarjung Airport in New Delhi.
Sanjay was born on December 14, 1946.
He died on June 23, 1980, at the age of 33 near Safdarjung Airport, New Delhi in a plane crash.
New Delhi, British India
Sanjay studied at Welham Boys’ School. Later, he attended the Doon School in Dehra Dun. Then, he trained in automotive engineering.
- Father – Feroze Gandhi (Politician)
- Mother – Indira Gandhi (Politician)
- Siblings – Rajiv Gandhi (Older Brother) (Politician)
- Others – Jawaharlal Nehru (Maternal Grandfather) (Politician), Motilal Nehru (Maternal Great Grandfather) (Politician), Swarup Rani Nehru (Maternal Great Grandmother), Kamala Nehru (Maternal Grandmother) (Freedom Fighter), Sonia Gandhi (Sister-In-Law) (Politician)
5 ft 9 in or 175 cm
82 kg or 181 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Sanjay’s named had been linked with –
- Maneka Gandhi (1974-1980) – After the death of Sanjay, Maneka fell out of the family and started a party of her own titled “Sanjay Vichar Manch” in Hyderabad. Thereafter, she served in various opposing parties and as of 2019, served with the Bhartiya Janata Party along with their son Varun Gandhi (b. March 13, 1980).
Race / Ethnicity
- He was partially bald on the center of his head.
- Wore rectangular spectacles
- Fair complexion
Sanjay Gandhi Facts
- He was raised in Allahabad at his mother’s home at the Anand Bhavan.
- Sanjay attended the same schools as his older brother Rajiv Gandhi.
- His brother Rajiv who died was also a pilot.
- Sanjay’s mother and brother were both assassinated.
- Unlike his brother, Sanjay was viewed as the son who would take his mother’s place as the Prime Minister.
- Sanjay worked for 3 years as an apprentice with Rolls-Royce in Crewe, England.
- In the past, Sanjay was made the managing director the now multi-million dollar company Maruti Suzuki.
- He met with his demise on June 23, 1980, near the Safdarjung Airport after his plane plummeted to the ground due to a failed aerobatic maneuver. It is said that Sanjay lost control of the plane before it crashed. Due to the seriousness of the crash, he had sustained brutal head wounds and died on the spot. Along with him, flying as a passenger was Captain Subhash Saxena, who also lost his life on that sad day.
- Sanjay wanted his children to be brought up as Zoroastrians.
- After the death of Sanjay, Rajiv moved into politics and later took over as the youngest Prime Minister of India after his mother was assassinated in October 1984.
- Throughout his time in politics, Sanjay was not assigned an office or elected right up until 4 months before he crashed in 1980.
Featured Image By India Today