|Sarah Blackwood Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 6 in|
|Date of Birth||October 18, 1980|
Sarah Blackwood is a Canadian singer-songwriter. She is popularly known as the frontwoman for Walk off the Earth, an indie rock band which she joined in the year 2012. Sarah got her first break at the age of 27 when she was offered to play, temporarily, in place of her elder sister Jen “Hellcat” Blackwood, who was pregnant then, in the Burlington punk band The Creepshow. When her sister Jen decided not to return to the band, then Sarah was offered the permanent place. She went on to become the lead singer of the band. Sarah released her first solo album Way Back Home and her first album with The Creepshow, Run For Your Life in 2008. Blackwood gave her performance as a guest in the Somebody That I Used to Know video, however, following the success of the video, she left The Creepshow and joined WOTE permanently as the singer. Her band, Walk Off the Earth (WOTE) was signed by Columbia Records in 2012.
Sarah, along with her other WOTE band members, Gianni, Joel, Marshall, and Mike had created memorable covers, at times using objects one can never think of as a musical instrument, and original songs using social media to their advantage and came up with interesting music videos. More than 2.5 million copies of songs like Red Hands, Fire In My Soul, Rule The World were sold in Canada. She is highly active on all possible social media sites, keeps her fans updated with all her moves and music, which is apparent from her Facebook with more than 300k followers.
Sarah Nicole Blackwood
Burlington, Ontario, Canada
Burlington, Ontario, Canada
Singer, Songwriter, Musician
- Father – Michael Blackwood
- Siblings – Jen “Hellcat” Blackwood (Older Sister) (Singer), Ian Blackwood (Brother)(Musician)
As a member of Walk off the Earth, she is represented by –
- Evan Winiker, General Manager, Full Stop Management
- Michael Tomczak, Sony RED
- Mike Marquis, Booking Agent (United States and Japan), Paradigm Talent Agency
- Ralph James, Booking Agent (Canada), Agency for the Performing Arts
- Sean Goulding, Booking Agent, United Talent Agency
Indie Rock, Indie Pop, Alternative Rock, Folk
Vocals, Guitar, Ukulele, Piano, Banjo Ukulele, Acoustic Guitar, Mouth Organ, Santoor
- Columbia Records
5 ft 6 in or 167.5 cm
55 kg or 121 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Sarah has dated –
- Gianni “Luminati” Nicassio (2009-Present) – Gianni is a vocalist and multi-instrumentalist. Luminati and Blackwood met during the recordings of her vocals where he used to help her. The couple is married and has 3 sons together – Giorgio Michael (b. June 18, 2013), Luigi Colombo (b. July 25, 2015), and Romeo Aniello (August 23, 2017). They often take their children with them on tour, for which they have been praised and equally criticized.
Race / Ethnicity
Best Known For
Releasing popular songs such as Red Hands, Home We’ll Go (Take My Hand), Fire in My Soul, and Fifth Avenue
She released her first solo album titled Way Back Home in 2008.
As a member of Walk off the Earth, she released her first album titled Vol. 1 in November 2012.
She made her theatrical film debut as Maggie in the comedy-drama film The Cocksure Lads Movie in 2014.
First TV Show
She made her TV show debut as “Herself” on Top of the Pops in 1996.
Sarah travels a lot with her band, which leaves little space for a fitness regime. Being health-conscious, they put in extra effort to make the best use of whatever time they get, like going for jogs, playing some sports especially soccer, practice yoga, and aerobics. When home, she makes sure to attend her yoga classes 3 or 4 times a week for her physical and mental well being.
Sarah Blackwood Favorite Things
- Sports – Swimming
- Track – Hold On
- Inspiration – Tim Armstrong
- Hobbies – Singing, Yoga, Playing golf, and spending time with her friends
- Singers – Janis Joplin, Jack Black
Sarah Blackwood Facts
- Her favorite part about performing is playing in front of the people and watching them sing along in joy. She considers it as very inspirational and energizing.
- Corporate gigs bore her at times since the viewers are usually employees of some company and are there for a social cocktail.
- Her band, Walk Off the Earth got its popularity when they put out their cover of Gotye’s Somebody That I Used to Know in 2012.
- The video of the song Somebody That I Used to Know is unique in its way. All the 5 members of the band play together on one single guitar. The team had to do 26-30 takes to make that video, spent almost 10 days on pre-production, and 14 hours for the shoot. It was an instant hit among the viewers.
- Sarah’s rock band WOTE has collaborated with some of the famous artists in the world like Keith Urban, Snoop Dogg, Nicky Romero, and Steve Aoki.
- Sarah would have loved to collaborate with Freddie Mercury if he would have been alive.
- Sarah has her own YouTube channel where she uploads many of her songs and has uploaded a few of her chat videos with her fans where she has answered their queries.
- Answering one of her fans’ questions, Sarah suggested that among the ukulele brands, Kala and Lanikai are the ones that one can easily buy. She felt that it is not important to shell out $500-600 to buy a ukulele but $100 is enough. One just needs to handle these with utmost care.
- Sarah shared that in a higher production video when there are no microphones, they use playback videos. However, she and her team usually set microphones on the set, record live audio, and records them. They even make changes if they feel the need.
- She takes her children on the tour as she believes that her kids would also get learning opportunities while touring different places since she strongly believes education should not be just limited to classroom teaching.
- Guitar and piano are the first 2 instruments that she learned to play and then moved on to learn ukulele which she believes she needs to master yet.
- Sarah’s apartment has a studio in it. This works both ways for her as she can give time at home and dedicate the rest of the time to her work.
- She mentioned in one of her vlogs that if she sees the house in mess, she cannot concentrate on the music. She will be pulled toward the mess to arrange her home first.
- Sarah and her husband don’t like the idea of children playing with gun-toys.
- She favors homeschooling but she has confessed that she personally had not done it since she didn’t have the qualities to do homeschooling. Both Sarah and her husband feel that home-school kids are smarter since they get dedicated attention from their teacher (parents in this case).
- Mike Taylor, one of the members of the Walk of The Earth band, died in his sleep on the night of December 30, 2018. Sarah was close to Mike Taylor and his family. After his demise, she makes sure that she spends time with his family so that they don’t miss him much.
- Sarah supports Music 4 Cancer (M4c), a non-profit organization raising funds for cancer.
- Sarah tries to have 2 different vans when her 3 children tours with her. One van is for the crew and the other one is for her children, which she calls as the baby bus.
- Music runs in Sarah’s family as her siblings are also into music. But, Sarah’s inspiration came from her father, Michael Blackwood, who was a musician and taught her to play guitar.
- She admitted to flying with kids as a difficult job and had once had a situation where she was asked to get off the plane because of her crying son. She was pregnant with her 2nd child at that time.
- Gabriela Bee from the Eh Bee Family joined the Walk of The Earth band on their World Tour of 2019.
- WOTE’s adventurous pop sound has earned the band many awards such as Canadian Radio Music Award, SOCAN Award, and Juno Award.
- Sarah has always spoken for social issues. She supports some non-profit organizations like Friends For Harmony, MMJ Canada (Canadian Cannabis Dispensary), Friends With Hearts, and has raised her voice against anti-bullying and voiced for mental health improvement services.
- Visit her band’s official website @ www.walkofftheearth.com.
Featured Image by Sarah Blackwood / Instagram