|Sathyaraj Quick Info|
|Height||6 ft 2 in|
|Date of Birth||October 3, 1954|
Sathyaraj is an Indian actor, producer, director, media personality, and a former politician who has mainly appeared in numerous Tamil films such as Vedham Pudhithu (1987), his stellar performance in it having earned him the Filmfare Awards South for “Best Actor – Tamil”. He has also received high acclaim for supporting roles in a number of notable movies like Baahubali 2 (2017) and Kanaa (2018). Sathyaraj has also been featured in several TV programs including Home Sweet Home (2011) where he had been the host.
Rangaraj Subbiah Gounder
Gandhipuram, Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu, India
He finished his primary school education in St Mary’s Convent school in Coimbatore. He went on to study for the 10th standard from Suburban High School in Ramnagar, Coimbatore and passed S.S.L.C. where he scored first rank marks in History as well as Geography.
After that, he attended Government Arts College in Coimbatore, acquiring a Bachelor of Science degree in Botany.
Actor, Producer, Director, Media Personality, Former Politician
- Father – Subbiah (Doctor)
- Mother – Nathambal
- Siblings – Kalpana Mandradiar (Younger Sister), Roopa Senapathy (Younger Sister)
6 ft 2 in or 188 cm
80 kg or 176.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
He has dated –
- Maheshwari (1979-Present) – He tied the knot with Maheswari in 1979. They have 2 children together, namely daughter Divya (b. 1985) and son Sibiraj (b. 1983) who is an actor as well.
Race / Ethnicity
- Tall stature
- Wears spectacles
He has been a staunch atheist.
Sathyaraj Favorite Things
- Politician – M. G. Ramachandran
Source – Scroll
- He hails from a well-to-do landlord family.
- He was brought up in Coimbatore in Tamil Nadu.
- Sathyaraj has disclosed that he was always passionate to make it big in the movies in spite of his father being a successful doctor. He had struggled a lot in his early days. He has recalled that he still had got rejected even for a lesser-known magazine’s promo posters. However, he had never lost hope.
- He has been one of the screen villains to have impressed Tamil audiences for the first time by being a cultured and vivacious antagonist, and it had been the audiences’ love for him that had eventually led him to become one of the mainstream heroes of Tamil cinema.
- Sathyaraj has affirmed to have thoroughly enjoyed playing the character of Kattappa in the Baahubali movie franchise as he has cherished portraying historical characters. He has recounted that director S. S. Rajamouli was well aware of how much an ardent fan of MGR he was and had asked him to look at Bahubaali too with the love, adulation, and affection he would show MGR. Sathyaraj being a director’s actor, readily followed him. He has added that he has acted in so many movies that he has been able to figure out what the director expects by the end of the first day on a set.
- Sathyaraj has pointed out that the real strain of making the huge film Baahubali lay with the director Rajamouli and his crew. He and the cast, on the other hand, had immense fun working on the massive and beautiful sets and it had felt like being in college.
- Sathyaraj has stated that Kattappa had been an easy role for him to do having been skilled in sword fighting for a long time. He has relished different get-ups and had loved the shaved head and beard appearance.
- In January 2022, Sathyaraj was tested positive for COVID-19 and had to be admitted to a private hospital in Chennai.
Featured Image by Rangaraj Subbiah / Instagram