|Sharon Van Etten Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 6 in|
|Date of Birth||February 26, 1981|
Sharon Van Etten is an American singer, songwriter, and actor who has released multiple albums like Because I Was in Love, Tramp, Are We There, Epic, Remind Me Tomorrow, and We’ve Been Going About This All Wrong. As an actor, she has showcased her skills in shows and movies such as The OA, How It Ends, Never Rarely Sometimes Always, and others.
Sharon Katharine Van Etten
Belleville, Essex County, New Jersey, United States
Sharon Van Etten studied at North Hunterdon High School, a 4-year regional public high school in Clinton, New Jersey. During her time at North Hunterdon High School, she participated in the chorus and performed in stage musicals.
Afterward, Sharon enrolled at Middle Tennessee State University and studied recording. However, she dropped out after a year.
Singer, Songwriter, Actor
- Siblings – She has 2 older and 2 younger siblings.
- Others – James Paul Van Etten (Paternal Grandfather), Mary Grace Lavelle (Paternal Grandmother), Stanley Joseph Gawelko (Maternal Grandfather), Florence Katherine Olson (Maternal Grandmother)
Sharon Van Etten has been signed with Paradigm Talent Agency, Talent and Literary Agency, West Hollywood, California, United States.
Indie Rock, Indie Folk
Jagjaguwar, Ba Da Bing Records, Language of Stone
5 ft 6 in or 167.5 cm
50 kg or 110 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Sharon Van Etten has dated –
- Zeke Hutchins – She has dated musician and drummer Zeke Hutchins and they have a son who was born in 2017.
Note – Sharon Van Etten was previously romantically involved with a rock musician who discouraged her from writing songs. She has described the relationship as abusive.
Race / Ethnicity
Sharon Van Etten is of Irish and Dutch descent on her father’s side and has Polish and Swedish roots on her mother’s side.
- Contralto vocal range
- Lean physique
Sharon Van Etten Facts
- She was once employed at the Red Rose, a coffee and record shop and music venue in Murfreesboro, for around 5 years.
- On May 26, 2009, Sharon Van Etten released her debut album titled Because I Was in Love.
- She lived in New York for around 15 years and then shifted to Los Angeles in September 2019.
- From 2016 to 2019, she brought to life the character of Rachel (a fellow abductee along with Prairie in Dr. Percy’s basement lab/terrarium) in the sci-fi mystery drama television series The OA.
- Sharon Van Etten has credited singer Ani DiFranco as a major influence and has said, “She was the first musician I had ever heard whose songs were super confessional. She could really play guitar… That was my first experience with non-pop female musicians. She made me want to start playing more.”
- Sharon made her first theatrical film appearance as Mother in the 2020 drama film Never Rarely Sometimes Always. She co-starred in the film alongside Sidney Flanigan, Talia Ryder, Théodore Pellerin, and Ryan Eggold.
- She was cast as Jet in the 2021 comedy-drama film How It Ends, starring Zoe Lister-Jones, Cailee Spaeny, Helen Hunt, Olivia Wilde, Fred Armisen, Lamorne Morris, and Nick Kroll.
- Sharon Van Etten’s 6th studio album We’ve Been Going About This All Wrong was released on May 6, 2022, via Jagjaguwar and it peaked at #3 on the US Top Tastemaker Albums (Billboard) chart, at #5 on the US Folk Albums (Billboard) chart, and at #10 on the US Top Album Sales (Billboard) chart.
Featured Image by Justin Higuchi / Flickr / CC BY 2.0