|Shiv Nadar Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 9 in|
|Date of Birth||July 14, 1945|
Shiv Nadar is an Indian industrialist and philanthropist who co-founded the billion-dollar company known to the common man as HCL. Besides that, he is also the proud founder of the Shiv Nadar Foundation and is a receiver of the prestigious Padma Bhushan award.
Moolaipozhi Village, Tuticorin district, Tamil Nadu, India
Tamil Nadu, India
Shiv studied at the Town Higher Secondary School in Kumbakonam.
Later, he briefly attended the Elango Corporation Higher Secondary School, Madurai.
In June 1955, he enrolled at Town High School in the 6th grade and studied there until June 1957. Before transferring to St. Joseph Boys Higher Secondary School, Trichy, where he completed his schooling from.
He attained a pre-university degree from the American College which is located in Madurai. After that, he went on to study at the PSG College of Technology in Coimbatore from where he attained a degree in Electrical and Electronics Engineering.
He received an honorary doctorate degree from Madras University in 2007.
- Father – Sivasubramaniya Nadar
- Mother – Vamasundari Devi
- Siblings – S. N. Balakrishnan (Brother)
- Others – S. P. Adithanar (Maternal Uncle) (Founder of Dina Thanthi Newspaper)
5 ft 9 in or 175 cm
81 kg or 178.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Shiv’s name has been linked with –
- Kiran Nadar – The couple has a daughter named Roshni Nadar. Roshni is the Executive Director and the CEO of HCL Enterprise and also the only child of Shiv and Kiran.
Race / Ethnicity
He prefers to keep a clean shaved head and thick beard.
Shiv Nadar Facts
- He was brought up in the Moolaipozhi Village.
- Shiv’s mother is the sister of lawyer, politician, and founder of the Dina Thanthi newspaper, Si. Balasubramania Athithan.
- During his schooling years, Shiv studied in various schools across the Tamil Nadu.
- In 1967, he started working for Walchand Group‘s College of Engineering, Pune. However, he quit his job there in order to join a group of friends who aspired to start a firm of there own. Two of them were Ajai Chowdhry who in 2020, was the Ex-Chairman at HCL Infosystems and Arjun Malhotra who works as the CEO and Chairman at Headstrong.
- Shiv had started his business journey under the brand name Microcomp under which he sold teledigital calculators across India.
- Nadar and his friends co-founded HCL in 1976. They had invested a total of INR 187,000. However, it wasn’t until their business started selling its software with the opening of Far East Computers in Singapore that HCL experienced a boom in its profits.
- He was presented with the prestigious Padma Bhushan award in 2008.
- Nadar was ranked #16th in “India’s 50 most powerful people of 2017” list by India Today.
- In 2021, Shiv Nadar donated INR 3 crore per day (overall 1,161 crore in entire 2021) as per EdelGive Hurun India Philanthropy List 2022 and was ‘India’s Most Generous’ person of 2021.
Featured Image By Shaik Mydeen / Wikimedia / CC BY-SA 4.0