|Spencer Tracy Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 8¾ in|
|Date of Birth||April 5, 1900|
|Date of Death||June 10, 1967|
Spencer Tracy was an Academy Award-winning American actor who became one of the brightest stars of Old Hollywood and was widely popular among fans due to his work in such films as San Francisco (1936), Captains Courageous (1937), Boys Town (1938), Woman of the Year (1942), Tortilla Flat (1942), Adam’s Rib (1949), Father of the Bride (1950), Bad Day at Black Rock (1955), Judgment at Nuremberg (1961), It’s a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World (1963), Guess Who’s Coming to Dinner (1967), etc.
Spencer Bonaventure Tracy
He was born on April 5, 1900.
He passed away on June 10, 1967, in Beverly Hills, California from a heart attack at the age of 67 years.
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States
- Father – John Edward Tracy (Truck Salesman)
- Mother – Caroline Brown
- Siblings – Carroll Tracy (Older Brother)
At the time of his death, Spencer Tracy’s net worth was $50 million according to CelebrityNetWorth.com.
5 ft 8¾ in or 174.5 cm
75 kg or 165 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Spencer Tracy had dated –
- Louise Treadwell (1923-1967) – He wed Louise Treadwell on September 10, 1923. The couple welcomed a son named John Ten Broeck Tracy (b. June 1924) and a daughter named Louise ‘Susie’ Treadwell Tracy (b. July 1932). Their marriage came to an end, for all intents and purposes, in 1933, however, they never officially got divorced. Moreover, the Sea of Grass (1947) actor pursued numerous other affairs throughout his marriage.
- Claire Luce (1930)
- Joan Bennett (1930)
- Pat Paterson (1933)
- Loretta Young (1933-1934)
- Myrna Loy (1935-1936)
- Joan Crawford (1937)
- Judy Garland (1939)
- Paulette Goddard (1940)
- Claudette Colbert (1940)
- Lana Turner (1940-1947)
- Katharine Hepburn (1941-1967) – His longest relationship was with his frequent co-star Katharine Hepburn. Their love affair, which began on the sets of the 1941 film, Woman of the Year, lasted for nearly 26 years until Tracy’s passing in 1967. Moreover, the couple lived together towards the end of his life, but they never got married.
- Ingrid Bergman (1941)
- Hedy Lamarr (1941-1942)
- Carole Landis (1946)
- Gene Tierney (1952)
- Grace Kelly (1954)
- Anna Kashfi (1956)
- Olivia de Havilland
- Joan Fontaine
- Marlene Dietrich (1961)
- Selena Royle
- Betty Hanna
Race / Ethnicity
He had Irish ancestry on his father’s side and was of English descent on his mother’s side.
However, his hair had turned ‘Gray’ with his advancing age.
- Raspy but strong voice
- Was seen wearing a lopsided fedora hat in many of his films
- Chin dimple
Spencer Tracy Facts
- Katharine Hepburn, his longtime lover and co-star in Guess Who’s Coming to Dinner (1967), refused to watch this film as she admittedly found it too painful to watch him in his last-ever film performance.
- In 1939, Tracy won his ‘Best Actor’ Oscar statue for playing the role of Father Flanagan in Boys Town (1938). Interestingly enough, the name on his golden statue is ‘Dick Tracy’.
- He is widely considered to be among the greatest movie actors of all time along with Laurence Olivier and Marlon Brando.
- Tracy was ranked as the 9th greatest actor on the list of ’50 Greatest Screen Legends’ by the American Film Institute in 1999.
- His performance as Henry Drummond in Inherit the Wind (1960) is ranked at the 67th spot on Premiere Magazine‘s list of ‘100 Greatest Performances of All Time’ in 2006.
- The American Film Institute‘s list of ‘100 Funniest Movies’ from 2000 includes 4 of Tracy’s films. They are as follows: Adam’s Rib (1949) at #22, It’s a Mad Mad Mad Mad World (1963) at #40, Father of the Bride (1950) at #83, and Woman of the Year (1942) at #90.
- A street in Iowa City in the state of Iowa is named in his honor.
Featured Image by Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer / Wikimedia / Public Domain
This would be rounded up to 5’9″ (175 cm)
He once told his doctor that he was 5’9 1/4″ which is (176 cm) He also said his highest height was about 5’10” (178 cm) he later dropped down to 5’9 1/2″ (176.5 cm). He was also said to be 75 kg (165 pounds)
5’9″ (175 cm)
Peak height was 5’10” (178 cm) Dropped down to 5’8″ (173 cm)
His weight was 77 kg (170 pounds)
Spencer Tracy was 5’9″ and 76 kg