|Sterling Hayden Quick Info|
|Height||6 ft 4.5 in|
|Date of Birth||March 26, 1916|
|Date of Death||May 23, 1986|
Sterling Hayden was an American actor, author, sailor, model, and soldier who gained acclaim with his work in Westerns and film noir throughout the 1950s. He appeared in movies like Virginia, Bahama Passage, Blaze of Noon, El Paso, The Golden Hawk, The Asphalt Jungle, Manhandled, The Star, Journey into Light, Ten Days to Tulara, Flat Top, 5 Steps to Danger, Denver and Rio Grande, Hellgate, Flaming Feather, Fighter Attack, Take Me to Town, Crime Wave, Prince Valiant, The Long Goodbye, Arrow in the Dust, Naked Alibi, Battle Taxi, Johnny Guitar, Gun Battle at Monterey, The Final Programme, The Eternal Sea, Shotgun, Timberjack, The Last Command, The Come On, Terror in a Texas Town, Top Gun, Crime of Passion, The Iron Sheriff, Venom, Dr. Strangelove, The Godfather, Hard Contract, King of the Gypsies, Cipolla Colt, Gas, and Winter Kills.
Sterling Relyea Walter
Sterling Hayden, Sterling Walter Hayden, John Hamilton, The Most Beautiful Man in the Movies, The Beautiful Blond Viking God, Shirley
He was born on March 26, 1916.
On May 23, 1986, Sterling Hayden died of prostate cancer at the age of 70 in Sausalito, Marin County, California, United States.
Upper Montclair, Essex County, New Jersey, United States
Sterling Hayden studied at Wassookeag School in Dexter, Maine.
When he was 16, he dropped out of high school.
Actor, Author, Sailor, Model, Soldier
- Father – George Walter
- Mother – Frances Walter
- Others – James Hayden (Adoptive Father)
6 ft 4.5 in or 194.5 cm
92 kg or 203 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Sterling Hayden had dated –
- Yvonne De Carlo
- Madeleine Carroll (1940-1946) – Sterling Hayden started going out with English actor Madeleine Carroll in 1940 and they were married from 1942 to 1946. The couple also worked together in the films Virginia (1941) and Bahama Passage (1941).
- Patricia Morison (1941-1942) – In March 1941, he started dating stage, television, and film actor Patricia Morison but the duo parted ways the following year.
- Karin Booth (1941) – He dated actor Karin Booth from April 1941 to May 1941.
- Betty Ann de Noon (1947-1958) – In 1947, Sterling Hayden married Betty Ann de Noon and they had 4 children – Christian, Dana, Gretchen, and Matthew. Following a bitter divorce battle, the duo finally divorced in 1958 and Hayden was awarded custody of their children.
- Shelley Winters (1954) – He had an affair with actor Shelley Winters in 1954.
- Joanne Dru (1958-1959) – Sterling Hayden went out with film and television actor Joanne Dru from December 1958 to January 1959.
- Catherine Devine McConnell (1960-1986) – He married Catherine Devine McConnell in 1960 and they remained together until his death in 1986. They had 2 sons – Andrew Hayden and David Hayden.
Race / Ethnicity
- Deep voice
- Towering height
Sterling Hayden Facts
- His father died when Sterling was a child and he was then adopted by a man named James Hayden when he was 9 years old. He was then renamed as ‘Sterling Walter Hayden’.
- After dropping out of high school, Sterling Hayden worked as a mate on a schooner and his first voyage was to Newport Beach, California, from New London, Connecticut. He also went on to work as a fisherman on the Grand Banks of Newfoundland, ran a charter yacht, and served as a fireman on 11 trips to Cuba aboard a steamer.
- In 1938, he was awarded his first command at age 22 and he skippered the square rigger Florence C. Robinson 7,700 miles from Gloucester, Massachusetts, to Tahiti.
- He was a decorated Marine Corps officer and an agent of the Office of Strategic Services during World War II.
- Hayden had been cast in 5 films (The Asphalt Jungle (1950), Johnny Guitar (1954), Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (1964), The Godfather (1972), and The Long Goodbye (1973)) that have been selected for the National Film Registry by the Library of Congress as being “culturally, historically or aesthetically” significant.
Featured Image by Los Angeles Daily News / digital.library.ucla.edu / CC BY 4.0
He was said to be 6’4″ according to celebheights dot com.
According to the O.S.S. it said 6’4″ and 198 pounds.
He was 6’4 1/2″ which is 194 cm as per celebheights dot com.
He shrunk about an inch or so.