|Suella Braverman Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 6 in|
|Date of Birth||April 3, 1980|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
Suella Braverman is a British politician and barrister who was appointed as Home Secretary in the new Liz Truss ministry on September 6, 2022. However, on October 19, 2022, she resigned. Later, in October 2022, she was reappointed as Home Secretary under Rishi Sunak‘s cabinet. In 2015, she started serving as the member of parliament (MP) for Fareham in Hampshire and then chaired the European Research Group (ERG) from June 19, 2017, to January 9, 2018. From 2020 to 2022, she was the Attorney General for England and Wales. A member of the Conservative Party, she was one of the candidates in the Conservative Party leadership election in July 2022 but was eliminated from the ballot after the 2nd round of voting.
Sue-Ellen Cassiana Fernandes
Suella, Suella Braverman
Harrow, London, England, United Kingdom
Fareham, Hampshire, England, United Kingdom
Suella Braverman studied at Uxendon Manor Primary School in Brent and then attended the fee-paying Heathfield School in Pinner on a partial scholarship. Afterward, she enrolled at Queens’ College, Cambridge, where she studied law. She served as the president of the Cambridge University Conservative Association during her undergraduate studies.
For 2 years, Suella Braverman lived in France as an Erasmus Programme student and then as an Entente Cordiale Scholar, completing a master’s degree in European and French law at Panthéon-Sorbonne University.
- Father – Christie Fernandes (Worked for a Housing Association)
- Mother – Uma Fernandes (née Mootien-Pillay) (Nurse and a Councillor in Brent)
- Others – Mahen Kundasamy (Uncle) (Former Mauritian High Commissioner to London)
5 ft 6 in or 167.5 cm
67 kg or 147.5 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Suella Braverman has dated –
- Rael Braverman (2018-Present) – In February 2018, she got married to Rael Braverman at the House of Commons. They welcomed their first child in 2019 and their 2nd child in 2021.
Race / Ethnicity
Suella Braverman is of Goan descent on her father’s side and has Tamil Mauritian ancestry on her mother’s side.
She is a member of the Triratna Buddhist Community (formerly known as the Friends of the Western Buddhist Order) and attends the London Buddhist Centre monthly. Also, she took her oath of office on the Dhammapada (one of the most widely read and best-known Buddhist scriptures).
Suella Braverman Facts
- Both her father and mother emigrated to Britain in the 1960s from Kenya and Mauritius, respectively.
- Suella Braverman has described herself as a “child of the British Empire” and believes that “the British Empire was a force for good”.
- She spent her childhood years growing up in Wembley, London.
- Theresa May appointed Suella Braverman as Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Exiting the European Union in the January 2018 reshuffle.
- She has been a committed supporter of Brexit as well as has supported the withdrawal of the UK from the European Convention on Human Rights.
- Braverman has also supported sending cross-Channel migrants to Rwanda. Committed to the right wing of the Conservative Party, she once said, “If I get trolled and I provoke a bad response on Twitter I know I’m doing the right thing. Twitter is a sewer of left-wing bile. The extreme left pile on is often a consequence of sound conservative values.”
- Discussing transgender issues, she stated in an interview with The Times that schools are not required to accommodate requests from students who wish to change how others recognize their gender. She has referred to author J. K. Rowling (criticized as transphobic by LGBT rights organizations) as “a heroine” of hers.
- On October 19, 2022, she resigned from the post of home secretary after breaching government rules. However, later in the same month, she was re-appointed as Home Secretary.
Featured Image by David Woolfall / members.parliament.uk / CC BY 3.0