|Sultan Kösen Quick Info|
|Height||8 ft 2.82 in|
|Date of Birth||December 10, 1982|
Sultan Kösen is a Turkish farmer and herder who came into the spotlight in 2011 when he was accorded the title of the ‘Tallest Living Male’ by the Guinness World Records. As of November 2020, he was considered the 7th tallest man in history.
Mardin, Southeastern Anatolia, Turkey
Dedeköy, Koçarlı, Aydın Province, Turkey
Sultan had attended a school but was unable to complete his education due to complications arising out of his excessive height. After dropping out, he had started working as a farmer and herder.
- Father – Abdulkadir Kösen
- Mother – Cemile Kösen
- Siblings – Hasan Kösen (Brother). He has 2 other brothers and a sister.
He is represented by Mehmet Veysi Bora, Personal Manager and Agent, İstanbul, Turkey.
8 ft 2.82 in or 251 cm
168 kg or 370.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Sultan has dated –
- Merve Dibo (2013–Present) – Sultan had first met Merve Dibo in August 2013 at a meeting organized by a mutual friend. Merve, who is 9 years younger than him and 76 cm shorter, had traveled from her home in Hasaki, Syria, to his village of Dedeköy in Turkey, to meet him. They got married 2 months later, on October 27, 2013, and settled in Dedeköy where Sultan had a home that was specially customized to his needs. Despite the differences in their height and age, the biggest problem that the couple had faced in the early days of their relationship was communication – as Sultan could only speak Turkish while Merve could only converse in Arabic.
Race / Ethnicity
He is of Kurdish descent.
- Gigantic frame
- Often sports a rugged beard
- Short-cropped hair
Sultan Kösen Facts
- Sultan’s excessive, abnormal growth in height was the result of acromegaly, a disorder that results from the development of excess growth hormone even after the growth plates have closed. In his case, acromegaly was triggered by a tumor that was affecting his pituitary gland. His condition has caused him to walk with crutches.
- He had revealed in an interview that his family would often assign him tasks like changing light bulbs and hanging curtains as he could easily do them without requiring a chair or a step-ladder. On the flip-side, his insane height meant that his family would need to get clothes and shoes especially tailored/customized for him.
- In 2010, he had undergone Gamma Knife treatment, a radiation surgery that is usually performed to treat tumor cells, at the University of Virginia’s medical school. He was also given medication to control the excessive levels of growth hormone in his body. In March 2012, doctors had concluded that the treatment had been successful in halting his bodily growth.
- In November 2014, as a part of an event organized to mark ‘Guinness World Records Day’, he had traveled to London. There, he had met Chandra Bahadur Dangi, the world’s shortest man ever. The two had posed for a photograph together which had gone viral.
- The same year, he had joined the ‘Magic Circus of Samoa’ through which he had participated in numerous shows around the world.
Featured Image by Sultan Kösen / Instagram