|Tabu Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 6¼ in|
|Date of Birth||November 4, 1971|
Tabu is a talented Indian actress. She has many accolades to her name including the Padma Shri by the Government of India, National Film Award, Filmfare Awards, and Critics Awards. Some of her notable films include Life of Pi, The Namesake, Maachis, Kala Pani, Virasat, Kandukondain Kandukondain, Astitva, Chandni Bar, Maqbool, Cheeni Kum, Haider, Andhadhun, Vijaypath, Chachi 420, Hera Pheri, and Fanaa. Apart from acting in Hindi films, she has also been cast in English, Tamil, Telugu, Malayalam, Marathi and Bengali films. She has a huge social media fan base with more than 2 million followers on Instagram.
Tabassum Fatima Hashmi
Hyderabad, Telangana, India
Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
Tabu studied at the St. Anns High School in Hyderabad. After that, she attended St. Xavier’s College in Mumbai for 2 years.
- Father – Jamal Hashmi (Actor)
- Mother – Rezvanah Naaz (School Teacher)
- Siblings – Farah Naaz (Older Sister) (Actress)
- Others – Hasina Hashmi (Step-Mother), Haya Hashmi (Younger Step-Sister), Sana Hashmi (Younger Step-Sister), Shabana Azmi (Aunt) (Actress), Tanvi Azmi (Aunt), Baba Azmi (Uncle), Ishan Arya (Uncle) (Cinematographer), Subha Arya (Aunt-In-Law), Mohammed Ahsan (Grandfather) (Was a Professor of Mathematics), Kamran Rizvi (Cousin), Sameer Arya (Cousin) (Cinematographer)
5 ft 6¼ in or 168 cm
63 kg or 139 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Tabu has dated –
- Sanjay Kapoor – In the mid-1990s, Tabu was in a relationship with Indian actor Sanjay Kapoor. They started dating during the filming of Prem, which began in 1989. However, by the time, the film was released in 1995, the couple had separated and was not in talking terms.
- Sajid Nadiadwala – Tabu had a relationship with Indian director/producer Sajid Nadiadwala. Their relationship started just when Sajid was dealing with the accidental death of his actress wife, Divya Bharti. They dated for a while and separated amicably.
- Akkineni Nagarjuna – Tabu had an affair with South Indian star, Akkineni Nagarjuna aka Nag. They first met during the filming of Ninne Pelladatha (1996). Nag was already married to another South Indian actress Amala when he and Tabu began their relationship. Their affair reportedly lasted 10 years before Tabu became convinced that Nag would not leave his wife and broke up with him.
Race / Ethnicity
- Waist length hair
- Narrow jaws
- Beautiful large eyes
Tabu has done endorsement work for brands like –
- Tetra Pak India
- Nizam Jewellery
Best Known For
Her roles in numerous films including Life of Pi (2012) as Gita Patel, The Namesake (2006) as Ashima, Maachis (1996) as Veerandra ‘Veeran’, Kala Pani (1996) as Parvathi, Astitva (2000) as Aditi Pandit, Maqbool (2003) as Nimmi, Cheeni Kum (2007) as Nina Verma, Haider (2014) as Ghazala Meer, and Andhadhun (2018) as Simi
In 1982, she made her theatrical film debut in the drama film Bazaar as the Girl in “Chale Aao Saiyan” song. However, she was uncredited for her appearance.
In 1985, she made her formal theatrical film debut in the drama film Hum Naujawan as Priya.
In 1997, she did the voice-over for actress Rambha in the action comedy-drama film Judwaa.
First TV Show
In 2007, she made her first TV show appearance on the talk show Koffee with Karan.
When it comes to food, she does not believe in following any particular diet, rather, she indulges in a well balanced nutritional meal. She is all about maintaining a healthy lifestyle, which includes enjoying good food in moderation.
Tabu Favorite Things
- Film Of All Times – Gol Maal (1979)
- Line In A Film – “Tum jis school mein padhte ho hum wahan ke principal reh chuke hain” (I have been the principle of the school that you are studying) from Haath Ki Safai (1974)
- Film Character Of All Times – Jagdish Raj who plays the good cop in all the old Hindi films
- Film Snack Food – Samosa
- All-Time Director – Guru Dutt
- Actor Or Actress – Sanjeev Kumar
Source – RajeevMasand.com
- When she was a child, her parents divorced, and she lived with her mother, while her father remarried.
- In the 1980s, her father had a coffee shop named “Jannat” in Hyderabad.
- She can speak numerous Indian languages including Telugu, Urdu, Hindi, Bengali, Marathi, and a bit of Tamil and Malayalam.
- She also speaks English, Spanish, and some French.
- Tabu relocated to Mumbai in 1983.
- The films that she remembers seeing as a child includes Naseeb (1981), Gol Maal (1979), The Ten Commandments (1956).
- The quality she admires in a director is the way they handle actors.
- If she could remake one film, then, it would be Charulata (1964).
- Her greatest weakness as an actress is that she takes very long in deciding upon a script.
- She states that she would never do a film which would require her to shoot in an extremely cold climate wearing a chiffon saree.
- Salma Hayek would be the actress to play her in a film about her life.
- She would want people to remember her by saying some nice things about her.
- Time and again she has walked the ramp for numerous Indian designers like Gaurang Shah, Sanjukta Dutta, Gaurav Gupta, and Rimple & Harpreet Narula, among others.
- Follow her on Instagram.
Featured Image by Tabu / Instagram