|Teodoro Obiang Nguema Mbasogo Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 9 in|
|Date of Birth||June 5, 1942|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
Teodoro Obiang Nguema Mbasogo is an Equatoguinean politician and former military officer who was appointed as the 2nd president of Equatorial Guinea in August 1979, after overthrowing his uncle Francisco Macías Nguema in a 1979 military coup. Prior to that, he held many positions under the presidency of his uncle. Teodoro Obiang Nguema Mbasogo became the longest-serving president of any country ever and the first or 2nd-longest consecutively-serving current non-royal national leader in the world. Widely accused of corruption and abuse of power, he enjoys sweeping powers under the country’s constitution – including the right to rule by decree – qualifying his government as a legal dictatorship. Moreover, he has placed family members in key government positions and the country has continued to have one of the worst human rights records in the world under his leadership.
Teodoro Obiang Nguema Mbasogo
Acoacán, Spanish Guinea (later: Equatorial Guinea)
Teodoro Obiang Nguema Mbasogo studied at the Cardenal Cisneros School Group in Ebebiyin and at the La Salle Center in Bata (later known as Colegio Nacional Enrique Nvó Okenve or Enrique Nvó Okenve National College), from where he received a degree in labor administration.
During Equatorial Guinea’s colonial period, he joined the Colonial Guard and subsequently attended the General Military Academy in Zaragoza, Spain.
Politician, Former Military Officer
- Father – Gabonese Santiago Nguema Eneme Obama
- Mother – María Mbasogo Ngui
- Siblings – Armengol Ondo (Younger Brother) (Head of the President’s Israeli-trained Security Detail), Antonio Mba Nguema (Brother) (Former National Defense Minister). Teodoro has 7 more brothers.
- Others – Francisco Macías Nguema (January 1, 1924 – September 29, 1979) (Uncle) (Equatoguinean politician who served as the first President of Equatorial Guinea from the country’s independence in 1968 until his overthrow in 1979 and is widely remembered as one of the most brutal dictators in history), Carmen Mikue Mbira (Stepmother), Monique Macías (Cousin), Maribel (Cousin), Paco (Cousin)
5 ft 9 in or 175 cm
76 kg or 167.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Teodoro Obiang Nguema Mbasogo has dated –
- Constancia Mangue (1968-Present) – He got married to Constancia Mangue in the year 1968 and they were blessed with a son named Teodoro Nguema Obiang Mangue (nicknamed Teodorín) on June 25, 1968.
Race / Ethnicity
Teodoro Obiang Nguema Mbasogo is a member of the Esangui ethnic clan.
Salt and Pepper
Regarded as an authoritarian leader
Teodoro Obiang Nguema Mbasogo Facts
- His parents emigrated from Gabon to Spanish Guinea in order to avoid paying capitation taxes in Gabon and take advantage of the good economic situation in Spanish Guinea.
- He is the 3rd of 10 brothers.
- In 1987, Teodoro Obiang Nguema Mbasogo founded the Democratic Party of Equatorial Guinea (PDGE).
- In an article published in Forbes magazine in 2010, it was suggested that Obiang gathered roughly $700 million of the country’s wealth in United States bank accounts. The magazine has also stated that with a net worth of US$600 million, he has been one of the world’s wealthiest heads of state.
- From 2011 to 2012, he served as the Chairperson of the African Union.
- Obiang’s leadership has been marred with abuses including “unlawful killings by security forces; government-sanctioned kidnappings; systematic torture of prisoners and detainees by security forces; life-threatening conditions in prisons and detention facilities; impunity; arbitrary arrest, detention, and incommunicado detention.”
Featured Image by The Kremlin, Moscow / en.kremlin.ru / CC BY 4.0