|Tharman Shanmugaratnam Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 9 in|
|Date of Birth||February 25, 1957|
|Spouse||Jane Yumiko Ittogi|
Tharman Shanmugaratnam is a Singaporean statesman and economist who assumed the presidential office of Singapore on September 14, 2023, succeding Halimah Yacob.
Tharman studied at an Anglo-Chinese School before going on to graduate from the London School of Economics (LSE) with a Bachelor of Science degree in economics. Then, he went on to complete his Master of Philosophy degree in economics at the University of Cambridge‘s Wolfson College.
Further, he went on to attend the Harvard Kennedy School at Harvard University, completing his Master in Public Administration (MPA) degree.
Politician, Statesman, Economist
- Father – K. Shanmugaratnam (Emeritus Professor)
On ‘September 2, 2023’, Tharman Shanmugaratnam’s net worth was ‘$ 67,000,000’ according to ‘The Statesman’.
5 ft 9 in or 175 cm
73 kg or 161 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Tharman is married to –
- Jane Yumiko Ittogi – Tharman has been married to Singaporean lawyer Jane Yumiko Ittogi of mixed Japanese-Chinese ancestry. Jane is 3 years his senior and is an active contributor to social enterprise and the non-profit arts sector in Singapore. Together, the couple has a daughter and three sons.
Race / Ethnicity
Tharman has Eelam Tamil ancestry.
Salt & Pepper
As a result of his aging, his hair color has changed from dark brown to a gray and black color.
He wears a pair of rectangular reading glasses.
Tharman Shanmugaratnam Facts
- He is a fourth-generation Singaporean of Eelam Tamil ancestry from the 19th century.
- During the 1970s, Tharman was a student activist while studying in the United Kingdom.
- In 2011, Tharman received an Honorary Fellowship at the London School of Economics. He was also a recipient of the Lucius N. Littauer Fellows Award.
- His father founded the Singapore Cancer Registry.
- In his youth, Tharman was an active sportsman.
- Tharman was elected as the President on September 2, 2023, after receiving 70.40% of the vote.
Featured Image By World Economic Forum / YouTube / CC BY 3.0