|Tyler Perry Quick Info|
|Height||6 ft 5 in|
|Date of Birth||September 13, 1969|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
Tyler Perry is an American actor, producer, director, and screenwriter who is best known for portraying roles such as Admiral Barnett in Star Trek, Tanner Bolt in Gone Girl, Arthur in Those Who Wish Me Dead, Baxter Stockman in Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows, Jack Bremmer in Don’t Look Up, and Colin Powell in Vice. He has appeared in several other TV shows and films such as Diary of a Mad Black Woman, Meet the Browns,I Can Do Bad All By Myself, A Madea Family Funeral, A Madea Homecoming, The Passion: New Orleans, Love Thy Neighbor, and many more. As a writer and producer, he has been a part of TV shows and films such as Daddy’s Little Girls, Madea Goes to Jail, Temptation: Confessions of a Marriage Counselor, Acrimony, Too Close to Home, and Assisted Living. Tyler had won numerous awards such as the Academy Award, Primetime Emmy Award, BET Best Movie Award, and Golden Raspberry Award.
Emmitt Perry Jr.
New Orleans, Louisiana, United States
Tyler Perry didn’t complete his school education as he dropped out of high school early. However, he did manage to earn a GED (General Educational Development), which is the equivalent of high school graduation.
Actor, comedian, filmmaker, writer, songwriter
- Father – Emmitt Perry, Sr. (Carpenter) (In his adulthood, Tyler took a DNA test and found that Emmitt wasn’t his biological father)
- Mother – Willie Maxine Perry (Preschool Teacher) (Died – December 8, 2009)
- Siblings – Emmbre Perry (Brother) (Film Director), Yulanda Wilkins (Sister), Melva Porter (Sister)
Tyler Perry is represented by his own company, The Tyler Perry Studios.
Tyler’s net worth was estimated at $1 billion in 2022 as per Forbes.
6 ft 5 in or 196 cm
102 kg or 225 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Tyler Perry has dated –
- Tyra Banks (2006) – Tyler Perry was RUMORed to be dating supermodel Tyra Banks after they were pictured out for a dinner date. After that, they were pictured out and about on a number of occasions, which further fueled rumors of them being an item despite their attempts to term their relationship as a normal friendship.
- Gelila Bekele (2009-2020) – Tyler started going out with Ethiopian model Gelila Bekele in 2009. She comforted him and helped him overcome the loss of his mother, who passed away in the same year. In September 2014, it was announced that they were expecting their first child. Bekele gave birth to a son, Aman Tyler Perry in November 2014. In December 2020, it was revealed that the couple had separated.
Race / Ethnicity
He is of African-American origin.
- Tall height
- Close cropped hairdo
Tyler has been seen in a commercial on Feeding America, and others.
Tyler has also endorsed “Oprah Winfrey Network”.
Best Known For
- Having created and performed as a fictional character Madea, who is an elderly black woman.
- Having created and produced the TV series, Tyler Perry’s House of Payne. He also starred as Madea in the series.
In 2005, he made his first film appearance as Madea in the romantic comedy movie, Diary of a Mad Black Woman. He also co-produced and wrote the movie.
First TV Show
In 2006, he made his TV show debut in his own sitcom series, Tyler Perry’s House of Payne as Madea.
Tyler Perry adopted a healthy lifestyle and hired a personal trainer to prepare his body for the action, Alex Cross and lost around 30 pounds of weight in the process. He was working out in the gym on a daily basis with his workout lasting about an hour. For his workouts, he decided to go for a circuit training style, which involved cardio, free weight lifting exercises, bodyweight exercises, and cable work.
He also undertook training in Israeli martial arts form, Krav Maga. The sparring sessions and regular training gave him an extra boost in tackling stubborn pockets of fat. When he is not training for a specific role, he likes to head to Soul Cycle studio for the dynamic cycling exercises.
He supplemented his regimented fitness schedule with a clean and disciplined diet. He swapped his go to pork chops for the grilled chicken breasts. He gave up Big Easy food he was raised on and instead feasted on scrambled eggs and ground Turkey chili.
In case, he had to battle hunger pangs in between meals, he reached out for healthy green shakes.
Tyler Perry Favorite Things
- Food – Burgers, cookies
- Pastime Activity – Flying the remote-controlled planes
- Country Singer – Tim McGraw
- Food City – New York
- Music – R & B, Jazz, Gospel
- Movies – Aliens (1986), The Wiz (1978), The Color Purple (1985), The Illusionist (2006)
- New York City Restaurants – Jackson Hole Burgers, Levain Bakery
- Atlanta Restaurant – Horseradish Grill
Tyler Perry Facts
- Tyler has been a keen supporter of the Feeding America foundation, which runs around 200 food banks and feeds around 46 million people in the US.
- In 2011, he was named the highest-earning entertainer by the Forbes magazine as he managed to rake in $130 million from May 2010 to 2011.
- In July 2009, after reading that the Valley Swim Club in Huntingdon Valley had shunned 65 children from the Philadelphia day camp, he sponsored a day trip to Walt Disney World for the kids.
- He suffered from asthma as a kid.
- In 2013, his real estate company ETPC LLC acquired around 1100 acres of land in the New Manchester suburbs of Georgia. In February 2014, the company bought additional 260 acres of land in the same area.
- In 2007, the EW Magazine placed him on the 7th spot in the list featuring 50 Smartest People in Hollywood.
- Before his show business and acting career took up, he used to work in construction. He was also a destitute for a period of time after one of his first plays flopped.
- He started writing plays at the age of 18. By March 2005, he had written and produced 8 plays, which managed to gross around $75 million through tickets and DVD sales.
- Most of his work (plays and TV series) are focused on Black culture and situations based around the Black community. There is also a heavy influence of African American churches on his work.
- He had a difficult childhood as his father used to dish out beatings for small things. Once, he even attempted suicide as a child to escape his father’s beatings.
- At the age of 16, he legally changed his name to Tyler Perry from Emmitt Perry, Jr. in order to distance himself from his father.
- He was molested by his friend’s mother at the age of 10. He was also molested by three men while growing up. He later came to know that one of his friends was molested by his father.
- In April 2006, Tyler published his first book titled Don’t Make a Black Woman Take Off Her Earrings: Madea’s Uninhibited Commentaries on Love and Life. His 2nd book titled Higher Is Waiting was published in November 2017.
- To fund the production of his debut movie, Diary of a Mad Black Woman, he used proceeds from the ticket sales of his previous stage productions.
- In January 2017, he was honored with the Favorite Humanitarian Award at the People’s Choice Award in recognition of his charity work and social activism.
- Perry has made donations to the foundations working for the rehabilitation of victims of the Haiti earthquake and Hurricane Katrina.
- He has also worked with foundations tackling homelessness and supporting civil rights.
- He designs, all by himself, his own studios and houses, he lives in. He is good at architecture.
- He is obsessed with cleanliness and hence is a germophobe.
- Tyler is afraid of moving in tunnels.
- Perry has 1 German shepherd, 3 huskies, and 3 Yorkies.
- Rapper Mystikal and Tyler were together in the same high school.
- Before becoming famous as an actor, he used to work in the construction field.
- In December 2020, Tyler donated $100,000 to Breonna Taylor’s (African-American woman who was shot in her Louisville, Kentucky apartment on March 13, 2020) boyfriend, Kenneth Walker’s legal defense fund via a GoFundMe page.
- With $97 million in earnings, Tyler was the 6th highest-paid celebrity of 2020 as per Forbes.
- During the 2021 Oscars, he was awarded the Jean Hersholt Humanitarian Award for his contribution to humanitarian and social justice causes.