|Vikram Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 6¼ in|
|Date of Birth||April 17, 1966|
Kennedy John Victor, popularly known as ‘Vikram‘ is an Indian film star. He predominantly appears in Tamil movies. His debut film in the lead role was En Kadhal Kanmani (1990). Many of his small budget Tamil, Telugu and Malayalam movies in the 1990s went unnoticed. His film Sethu (1999) directed by Bala was a turning point in his career.
Kennedy John Victor
Kenny, Chiyaan Vikram
Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India
Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India
Vikram studied in Montfort School, Yercaud and a boarding school situated in a hill station near Salem, Tamil Nadu and completed his schooling in 1983.
He was interested to work in films but his father forced him to continue his studies. Then, he pursued his degree in English Literature and MBA at Loyola College, Chennai.
Film Actor, Film Producer, Playback Singer, Voice Actor
- Father – John Victor (alias Vinod Raj) (Supporting roles in Tamil Films and serials)
- Mother – Rajeshwari (Sub-Collector)
- Siblings – Arvind (Younger Brother) (Actor), Anitha (Younger Sister) (Teacher)
- Others – Thiagarajan (Maternal Uncle) (Film Actor, Director, Producer, Art Director, Screenwriter), Prashanth (Cousin) (Actor, Businessman)
He is unsigned. Mostly, he has contributed to film songs. His songs are labeled by Sony Music India, Pyramid, Vega Music, Big B, Think Music, and others.
5 ft 6¼ in or 168.5 cm
73 kg or 161 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Vikram’s name has been linked with –
- Shailaja Balakrishnan (1992-Present) – Shailaja’s native is Thalassery, Kerala. She has worked as a psychology teacher in Chennai. She has also worked with Deiva Thirumagal (2011) team to help Vikram portray the role of a mentally challenged man by providing professional advice to the team on how people with special needs are treated. They both met each other in the late 1980s and got married in 1992, Guruvayoor, Kerala. It was a mass wedding alongside dozens of couples and they also had a low-key wedding ceremony conducted at the church present at Loyola College, Chennai. They have a daughter and a son named Akshita and Dhruv respectively. Akshita married Manu Ranjith, the great-grandson of the late former Tamil Nadu Chief Minister M. Karunanidhi in 2017. Their son Dhruv made his debut with Adithya Varma in 2019 portraying the lead role. The film is the remake of the Telugu movie Arjun Reddy (2017).
Race / Ethnicity
He has Tamil ancestry.
- Dedication towards acting
- Down to earth personality
He has appeared in the following TV commercials –
- Chola Tea
- Alwyn Watches
- TVS Excel
- 3 Roses (2010)
He has served as a brand ambassador for –
- Parle-G (2007)
- Sanjeevani Trust – a charitable organization
- Big Deal TV – a 24/7 celebrity-driven home shopping channel (2015)
- Manappuram General Finance and Leasing Ltd (2015)
- Goodwill ambassador for Vidya Sudha – a school for children with special needs.
- Coca-Cola – For Tamil Nadu
- He hates his original name ‘Kennedy’. So, he used the first 2 letters of his father’s name ‘Vi’, ‘K’ from Kennedy, first 2 letters from his mother’s name ‘Ra’ and ‘ram’ from his zodiac sign Aries and composed his name as Vikram.
- The actor has promoted various social causes. In 2011, he appeared as the Youth Envoy for the United Nations Human Settlements Programme. Chiyaan also has his welfare association called The Vikram Foundation and was also linked with Kasi Eye Care providing support to the underprivileged.
- During his college days, the actor met with an accident while returning home on his motorbike after receiving the best actor award at IIT Madras. He suffered a serious leg injury and was hospital-ridden for 3 years. He has undergone 23 surgeries to prevent his leg from being removed surgically. Since he was able to walk only using crutches, he obtained permission from the management to finish his study at home and completed his final year of college studies.
- For the film I (2012), Vikram portrayed the roles of a bodybuilder, a model, a beast and a hunchback. To portray the role of a bodybuilder, he put on weight by sticking to a protein-rich diet and coffee to make his muscles look distinct on screen. For the role of a model, he lost weight. Later, he lost 56 kilos of weight and shaved his head to portray the role of a hunchback. During his massive weight reduction process, he ate small meals of egg whites instead of regular food intakes. It took nearly 3 years to complete the production for the film. The actor has said that he suffered from folliculitis due to prosthetic make-up he had to wear for the film.
Featured Image by U.S. Consulate General Chennai / Flickr / Public Domain