|Ville Valo Quick Info|
|Height||6 ft 2.5 in|
|Date of Birth||November 22, 1976|
Ville Valo is a Finnish singer, songwriter, and musician, most notably known as the lead vocalist of HIM, a gothic rock band, formed in 1991. The band was among the most successful Finnish bands of all time, and the first of the sorts to receive a gold record (500,000 copies) in the US. The band’s history with Ville was filled with massive success and a high number of audience’s attendance at concerts and tours. However, he announced that they planned to retire in 2017, and the band played the final show on New Year’s Eve the same year. Outside the band, Ville has had many successful projects and collaborations – with The 69 Eyes, Apocalyptica, Agents, and other bands and musicians. His voice was rated number eight on the list of the highest vocal ranges of known singers, as published by VVN Music in 2014.
Ville Hermanni Valo
Rakohammas, Balo the Singing Janitor, Bil Bao, Rambo Rimbaud, Lux Airam
Pikku Huopalahti, Helsinki, Finland
He attended Helsinki Pop & Jazz Conservatory while he was playing instruments and singing with bands.
Ville applied to Sibelius Upper Secondary School of music and dance but was rejected, and later decided to drop out of school as he didn’t have enough time to spend on music.
Singer, Songwriter, Producer, Multi-Instrumentalist
- Father – Kari Valo (S*x Shop Owner)
- Mother – Anita Valo (Shoe Shop Worker)
- Siblings – Jesse Valo (Brother) (Muay-Thai Kickboxer)
Ville and his band, HIM, were represented by Razor & Tie music artist management company from New York City, New York, USA.
Rock, Gothic Rock
Vocals, Guitar, Drums, Bass, Keyboards
During his career with HIM, he was signed with recording labels such as –
- Bertelsmann Music Group (BMG) (1997-2003)
- Sire Records (2005-2010)
- DoubleCross (UK), Razor & Tie(US), Universal (EU) (April, 2013)
6 ft 2.5 in or 189 cm
80 kg or 177 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Ville has dated –
- Kari Rueslåtten (Unknown) – There was a rumor that the Norwegian singer and Ville hooked up at one point before 1997, but it was never confirmed.
- Susanna (1998-2003) – Next, he dated a Finnish p*rnstar born Susanna Niiranen publicly from 1998 up until 2003, when they broke up.
- Jonna Nygren (2003-2006) – Another public relationship was with Jonna, and they were seen at various events together during the three years of dating. The pair got engaged on July 9, 2005, but split up on March 2006.
- Kat Von D (2008) – It is rumored that Ville hooked up with Kat Von D, a well-known tattoo artist in 2008. She has a heartagram, the logo of the band HIM he created, tattooed on her body.
- Sandra Mittica (2012) – They were seen together in a period of about six months, from March 2012, up until September 2012.
- Christel Karhu (2016-Present) – He started dating Christel, a well known Finnish model in September 2016. The pair was seen at various events throughout the years, and the relationship is ongoing as of the beginning of 2019.
Race / Ethnicity
He has Swedish ancestry on his paternal side and Hungarian ancestry on his maternal side.
- Tall physique
- Long hair
- Often wears makeup around his eyes
- Deep baritone voice
Vile Vallo has not done endorsement work for any brand yet.
Best Known For
- Being the lead singer of a rock band HIM (1991-2017)
- Releasing internationally successful rock albums such as Greatest Lovesongs Vol. 666 (1997), Razorblade Romance (2000), Deep Shadows and Brilliant Highlights (2001), and Love Metal (2003)
- Being a part of the first Finnish band to reach a golden record in the USA with 500,000 copies
- Releasing Dark Light album in 2005 as part of HIM, which went gold in Germany, USA, and the UK, and platinum in Finland, his home country
The band’s debut album was named Greatest Lovesongs Vol. 666, recorded in only fifteen days, and released in the summer of 1997. It received positive reviews for its sound, and reached number four in Finland at first, but later went platinum. The album won in Debut Album of the Year and Newcomer of the Year categories at Emma Awards in 1997.
His first cinematography appearance was in a short film Asphalto from 1998, directed by Ilppo Pohjola, where he played the role of Lippumies.
First TV Show
He first appeared in Viva La Bam in 2003, which was a reality TV show that was a spin-off from the Jackass, an MTV-produced series of movies.
Ville Valo Favorite Things
- Movie – Vertigo (1958)
- Idols – Clint Eastwood, Edgar Allan Poe, Gene Simmons
- Writer – H.P. Lovecraft
- Food – Sushi, Veggie Burgers, Salad, Thai Food, Cereal bread
- Drink – Black Coffee
- Finnish Lyrics – Valo Yössa
- Song – Sininen Uni by Tapio Rautavaara
Ville Valo Facts
- He is a good friend of Bam Margera, best known for taking part in various Jackass movies and videos in the series. Ville himself appeared in some of the TV movies with Bam, most notably CKY 3 (2001), Jackass Number Two (2006), and Where the #$&% Is Santa? (2008).
- His surname, Valo, means “light” in Finnish.
- He has asthma, and is a vegetarian, but loves veggie burgers, Thai food, and sushi.
- He has been in a plethora of bands before he became the lead singer of HIM in 1991. Some of those are Kemoterapia, Donits-Osmo, Terapia, Winha, Natas, B.L.O.O.D, Charlie Parker, and Aurora. He wasn’t only a vocalist, but also played guitar, bass, and drums.
- His father, Kari Valo, was a taxi driver initially. Later, he was an owner of a s*x shop named Aikuisten lelukauppa, and Ville used to work there occasionally as a teenager, in order to help out.
- Ville was born at 8:28 AM on November 22, 1976.
- He is the creator behind a heartagram, which would become a trademarked logo for HIM. Kat Von D has it tattoed on her body, and Steve-O has a variation of it that features a male g*nitalia instead, tattooed at the bottom instead of the heart shape.
- Valo claimed heartagram is the best thing he’s ever come up with. He claimed it is a symbol for both Yin and Yang, male and female, and that it had a life of its own, with many people adopting the symbol without knowing it came from him. He’d like for the symbol to be on his own tombstone when he dies.
- The band HIM was formed in 1991 but disbanded in 1993. However, in 1995 it was reformed and relocated to the USA in 2005. It was where Ville became a well-known musician and vocalist and picked up a large fanbase.
- Valle didn’t always go by his name when collaborating with other artists. Some of those were Balo the Singing Janitor, Rambo Rimbaud, Lux Airam, MZ, Bil Bao, and a few others.
- In order to save youth centers in Finland, Valo sang back-up vocals on the Rock ‘n’ Roll High School by the Ramones but covered by Save Nuta in 2008.
- Along with his brother, Jesse Valo, he remixed three songs on HIM album SWRMXS in 2010.
- After he retired from working with HIM, Valo made plans for a comeback to the music scene in 2018. It started after he sang back-up vocals for Soul Satisfaction EP of Andy McCoy that year. Then, he reunited with Agents, a band he collaborated in 1999.
- He started a collaboration named Ville Valo and Agents near the end of 2018, with a single Orpolapsi kiurun being released on September 21, 2018. They performed at the Emma Gala event on February 2, 2019, and announced a release of a self-titled album on February 15, 2019, and start touring afterward.
- He didn’t have the cleanest report of being sober, and it was reported that he performed intoxicated, and nearly died in 2000 when he stood on the railings of the hotel terrace, but his friends saved him.
- In 2007, he started drinking excessively, and was reportedly vomiting, defecating blood, didn’t sleep or eat, and had to be admitted to Promises Rehabilitation Clinic in Malibu to recuperate and break the habit. Since then, he has relapsed multiple times, but the situation didn’t get as bad, as he drinks on and off and is in control.
- In 2005, when his band was on a US tour in Minneapolis, his drink was spiked with a drug. He was robbed of his cell phone, cigarettes, jacket, credit cards and his asthma medicine.
- He has a large number of tattoos on his body – five heartagrams, a full sleeve on his left arm, letterings on his right wrist, and a monogram of Venus Doom, the name of one of his albums. He also has eyes of Edgar Allan Poe on his back, Estonian letter for “night” that his brother, Jesse, also has, as well as many others, big and small.
- He takes blood tests regularly, at about six months apart, because he’s afraid of catching a lethal disease by sharing microphones.
- Ville is allergic to flowers, dogs and cats, and chlorine.
- He nearly died when he was 17 years old because he forgot to use his asthma medication, resulting in about two weeks of recovery in a hospital.
- He doesn’t like going to cinemas, as he has a habit of coughing and getting up to go to the bathroom every 15 minutes due to bladder issues.
- In 2004, he claimed he can use a disposable razor multiple times, as his facial hair is very thin.
- Even though he used makeup around his eyes very often, he doesn’t like wearing it and only does it for a photoshoot or a public appearance.
- He was cutting his own hair with knives from 1997 to 2000, and possibly longer. He claimed there wasn’t much to it, and he simply cut it himself during studio recordings because it looked horrible, and he wanted to maintain it.
- He didn’t attend Finland’s mandatory national military service due to health conditions caused by asthma.
- Visit his official website @ www.heartagram.com.
- He is not on social media.
Featured Image by Tuomas Vitikainen / Wikimedia / CC BY-SA 3.0