|Vint Cerf Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 9 in|
|Date of Birth||June 23, 1943|
Vint Cerf is an American technology innovator and scientific researcher who is best known for co-developing the Internet protocol suite (the conceptual model and the set of communications protocols) that is used to run the Internet. For this achievement, he is widely regarded as one of ‘the fathers of the Internet’. For his exploits and extensive research in the field of telecommunications, he has been honored with numerous honorary degrees, accolades, and awards including the ‘National Medal of Technology’ (1997), the ‘Marconi Prize’ (1998), the ‘Turing Award’ (2004), and the ‘Presidential Medal of Freedom’ (2005).
Vinton Gray Cerf
Vint, The Father of the Internet
New Haven, Connecticut, United States
Washington, D.C., United States
Vint had attended the Van Nuys High School, a public school in Los Angeles. After his high school graduation, he had joined the renowned Stanford University, a private research university in Stanford, California. He had earned a Bachelor of Science degree in mathematics there. He had later joined the graduate school at the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA), a public land-grant research university in Los Angeles. There, he had attained his M.S. degree in 1970 and his Ph.D. in 1972.
Technology Innovator, Scientific Researcher
- Father – Vinton Thruston Cerf (Former Aerospace Executive)
- Mother – Muriel D. Cerf (née Gray)
- Others – Maximillian Cerf, Jr. (Paternal Grandfather), Aline Helen Cerf (Paternal Grandmother), Charles Nelson Gray (Maternal Grandfather), Bertha Plamondan (Maternal Grandmother)
5 ft 9 in or 175.5 cm
78 kg or 172 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Vint has dated –
- Sigrid Cerf (1966-Present) – Vint, who suffers from a chronic hearing deficiency, had met a woman named Sigrid in the early 1960s, at a hearing aid agent’s office. She too was suffering from a hearing deficiency and they made an acquaintance. They began dating soon after and got married in 1966. They have 2 sons together named David Cerf and Bennett Cerf.
Race / Ethnicity
He is of French, French-Canadian, German, and Irish descent.
- Receding hairline
- Sports a thick beard
- Spotted scalp
Vint Cerf Facts
- A science whiz kid, Vint had worked at Rocketdyne (an American rocket engine design and production company headquartered in Canoga Park, San Fernando Valley, Los Angeles) while he was still in high school. There, he was a part of the Apollo program and had helped their team write statistical analysis software for the non-destructive tests of F-1 engines.
- After his graduation from Stanford University, he had joined IBM as a systems engineer. There, he had worked in the support team of QUIKTRAN (an interactive computer programming language with debugging facilities) for 2 years.
- He had later worked in renowned computer science Professor Leonard Kleinrock’s data packet networking group that had connected the first two nodes of the ARPANet (Advanced Research Projects Agency Network, the first wide-area packet-switching network with distributed control and one of the first networks to implement the TCP/IP protocol suite), the first node on the Internet.
- In December 1974, he had co-written the first TCP (Transmission Control Protocol) called ‘Specification of Internet Transmission Control Program’ (RFC 675).
- He is a long-time advocate for accessibility rights.
Featured Image by Vint Cerf / Instagram