|Viola Davis Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 5 in|
|Date of Birth||August 11, 1965|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
Viola Davis is a critically-acclaimed American actress, voiceover artist, and producer who became the first African-American to achieve the “Triple Crown of Acting” i.e. winning an Academy Award, a Primetime Emmy Award, as well a Tony Award. Some of her most notable performances came in roles like Aibileen Clark in The Help, Rose Maxson in Fences, Mrs. Miller in Doubt, Abby Black in Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close, Professor Lillian Friedman in The Disappearance of Eleanor Rigby, Amanda Waller in Suicide Squad, Annalise Keating in How to Get Away with Murder, Susie Brown in Get On Up, and Veronica Rawlings in Widows. She received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame in 2017, was included in Time magazine’s list of the 100 most influential people in the world in 2012 and 2017, and was placed 9th on its list of “The 25 Greatest Actors of the 21st Century” curated by The New York Times in 2020.
Viola Davis, Davis
St. Matthews, South Carolina, United States
Los Angeles, California, United States
Viola Davis attended Central Falls High School after her family moved to Rhode Island.
She graduated from Rhode Island College with a major in Theatres in the year 1988. She also acquired an honorary doctorate degree from the college in Fine Arts in the year 2002.
Viola Davis also attended Juilliard School from 1989-1993 as a member of the Drama Division’s Group 22.
Actress, Producer, Voiceover Artist
- Father – Dan Davis (Horse trainer)
- Mother – Mary Alice (Maid, factory worker, homemaker, a civil rights activist)
- Siblings – She has 4 sisters and a brother.
- Others – Eugene Davis (Paternal Grandfather), Idella Johnson (Paternal Grandmother), Henry Logan (Maternal Grandfather), Mozell/Mozel/Moselle/Mozelle Howell (Maternal Grandmother)
Viola is the second youngest out of six children.
Viola Davis has been represented by –
- Lasher Group, Artist Management Company, New York, United States
- JuVee Productions, Production Company, Granada Hills, California, United States
5 ft 5 in or 165 cm
59 kg or 130 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Viola Davis is married to –
- Julius Tennon (2003-Present) – American actor and producer Julius Tennon is married to Viola Davis since 2003. They adopted a newborn girl as a daughter in October 2011 and named her Genesis Tennon. They also have two sons, who are from Julius Tennon’s previous relationships.
Race / Ethnicity
Viola Davis is of African-American descent.
- Shiny black skin
- Charming smile
- Acting prowess
37-28-36 in or 94-71-91.5 cm
8 (US) or 10 (UK)
9 (US) or 6.5 (UK) or 7 (UK)
Viola Davis has not endorsed any brand until the summer of 2015.
Viola Davis was raised as a Baptist but connected to Catholicism, and also wanted to be a Catholic.
Best Known For
Viola Davis is best known for her leading role in the 2011 release ‘The Help.’
She is also known for her Broadway performances like August Wilson’s King Hedley II (2001), Intimate Apparel (2004), and Fences (2010).
Viola Davis appeared in a small role of a nurse in the movie The Substance of Fire in the year 1996.
First TV Show
Viola Davis has appeared in an anonymous role in the TV series NYPD Blue that aired in 1996.
Her first credited role was in the same year (1996) as Mrs. Stapleton in the episode “Smack is Back” of the TV Series ‘New York Undercover.’
First Stage Performance
Viola Davis has performed as Denise in As You Like It in 1992.
Viola Davis does not have a personal trainer.
She has maintained her best figure with her own exercise routine, which generally constitutes of leg press, triceps exercises, deadlift, and standing calf raise along with cardio exercises.
The actress is also known for sticking to a particular diet to stay fit. In fact, it is reported that the actress was under ‘Wolverine-Diet’ for her role as Susie Brown for the 2014 movie ‘Get on Up.’ This special plan allowed her to eat meals only for eight hours of the day. The remaining 16 hours were left for fasting. According to an interview given to People magazine, Viola Davis had admitted to losing weight with the diet plan.
Viola Davis Favorite Things
- Actress – Meryl Streep
- Role – Terry Randolph in Law & Order: Criminal Intent
- Food – Fat Turkey Burgers and Fries
Viola Davis Facts
- Viola Davis was listed by the ‘Time’ in 2012 as one of the 100 Most Influential People in the World.
- She was born on the former Singleton plantation and is the fifth child of six children of her parents.
- She has admitted to suffering from hunger in childhood and described her childhood as living in “abject poverty and dysfunction.” This background inspired and motivated her to work with ‘Hunger Is,’ an initiative to eradicate hunger in American children.
- Viola Davis is one of the African-American actresses, who has been nominated for an Academy Award and Golden Globe Award in ‘Best Actress’ and ‘Best Supporting Actress’ categories for her credits in films.
- She has won two Tony Awards and three Drama Desk Awards for her Broadway performances in ‘King Hedley II,’ ‘Intimate Apparels,’ and ‘Fences.’
- She has won two Black Reel Awards and two Critics’ Choice Awards for her performance in the 2011 release ‘The Help.’
- She portrayed the character of Ma Rainey, one of the early African-American professional blues singers that also got their work professionally recorded, in the 2020 drama film, Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom. For this role, she was nominated for a Golden Globe Award for “Best Actress in a Motion Picture – Drama”.
- Her daughter Genesis had big-ticket items on her Christmas list in 2020. In December 2020, Viola revealed to Jimmy Kimmel on his show that she didn’t buy Genesis 98% of the things which included an iPhone and a camera with a tripod.
- During the 2021 SAG Awards, she won the award for “Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Leading Role” for her role in Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom (2020).
- In May 2022, Viola was honored during the 2022 Women in Motion Awards at the Cannes Film Festival.
- In December 2022, Viola received the “Public Counsel’s Annual William O. Douglas Award” during the Public Counsel’s Dinner event.
- During the 2023 Grammy Awards, Viola won the award for “Best Audio Book, Narration & Storytelling Recording” for her memoir, Finding Me. With this, she became an EGOT winner (designation given to artists who have won all 4 major American entertainment awards – Emmy, Grammy, Oscar, and Tony Awards).
- In April 2023, Viola was honored with an award at the 48th annual Chaplin Award Gala.