|Waheeda Rehman Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 1 in|
|Date of Birth||February 3, 1938|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
Waheeda Rehman is an Indian actor and dancer whose career spanned over five decades in which she appeared in a variety of films such as Guide, Rojulu Marayi, Alibabavum 40 Thirudargalum, Kaagaz Ke Phool, C.I.D., 12 O’Clock, Kaagaz Ke Phool, Solva Saal, Kala Bazar, Ek Phool Char Kaante, Chaudhvin Ka Chand, Roop Ki Rani Choron Ka Raja, Sahib Bibi Aur Ghulam, Bees Saal Baad, Rakhi, Baat Ek Raat Ki, Mujhe Jeene Do, Kaun Apna Kaun Paraya, Ek Dil Sau Afsane, Teesri Kasam, Dil Diya Dard Liya, Patthar Ke Sanam, Ram Aur Shyam, Neel Kamal, Baazi, Khamoshi, Prem Pujari, Man Ki Aankhen, Vishwaroopam II, Man Mandir, Reshma Aur Shera, Zindagi Zindagi, Dil Ka Raaja, Love in Bombay, Bangaaru Kalalu, Kabhi Kabhie, Namkeen, Dharam Kanta, Himmatwala, Coolie, Bayen Hath Ka Khel, Mashaal, Sunny, Chandni, Lamhe, Singhasan, Om Jai Jagadish, Maine Gandhi Ko Nahin Mara, 15 Park Avenue, Water, Chukkallo Chandrudu, Rang De Basanti, Delhi 6, The Song of Scorpions, Arshinagar, and Skater Girl. She is regarded as one of Hindi cinema’s most accomplished actors and has been a recipient of numerous accolades including the Padma Shri (the 4th-highest civilian award of the Republic of India) in 1972, the Padma Bhushan (the 3rd-highest civilian award in the Republic of India) in 2011, and Dadasaheb Phalke Award (India’s highest award in the field of cinema) for the year 2021.
Chengalpet, Madras Presidency, British India
Bandra, Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
Waheeda Rehman attended St. Joseph’s Convent in Visakhapatnam. She also received Bharatanatyam training in Chennai.
- Father – Mohammed Abdur Rehman (Worked as a district commissioner; Died in 1951)
- Mother – Mumtaz Begum
- Siblings – Sayeeda Rehman (Older Sister), Shahida Malik (Older Sister), Zahida (Older Sister)
5 ft 1 in or 155 cm
54 kg or 119 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Waheeda Rehman has dated –
- Kamaljeet (b. Shashi Rekhi) (1974-2000) – She tied the knot with actor Kamaljeet in April 1974 and they were blessed with 2 children – a son named Sohail and a daughter named Kashvi. Following their marriage, the duo started living in a farmhouse in Bangalore but Waheeda Rehman relocated to Mumbai after her husband’s demise in 2000.
Race / Ethnicity
Waheeda Rehman is of Deccan Muslim descent.
Salt and Pepper
She has served as an ambassador for RangDe, an organization combating poverty in India.
Waheeda Rehman Facts
- She was a teenager when her father passed away.
- Growing up, she aspired to become a doctor but eventually gave up on her dream due to her family’s financial struggles and her mother’s illness.
- As she was a trained dancer, Waheeda received film offers which she accepted in order to support her family.
- In 1968, she appeared as Rajkumari Neel Kamal/Sita in the Hindi-language romantic thriller film Neel Kamal and this performance won her the Filmfare Award for “Best Actress”.
- Alongside Rajesh Khanna and Dharmendra, Waheeda Rehman co-starred as Nurse Radha in the 1969 black-and-white Hindi drama film Khamoshi. This role got her nominated for a Filmfare Award for “Best Actress”.
- She is a private person and prefers to keep her private life away from the public eye. In an interview at the launch of Conversations with Waheeda Rehman, she stated: “I don’t want to get into it. My private life should remain private. It is nobody’s business. I know we are public figures, so when I fight with my husband, do you want to know about it?”
Featured Image by Bollywood Hungama / bollywoodhungama.com / CC BY 3.0 DEED