|Helen Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 5½ in|
|Date of Birth||November 21, 1938|
Helen is an Indian former actress and dancer who is prominently recognized for her work in the Hindi film industry. Aside from that, she is also known as one of the best nautch dancers from her golden years and also the first actress to initiate cabaret and belly dance in the Hindi cinema.
Helen Anne Richardson
Queen of the Nautch Girls
Rangoon, British Burma (Now Known As Yangon, Myanmar)
Helen used to attend school until she decided to quit in order to help her mother financially.
Former Actress, Dancer
- Father – George Desmier
- Mother – Marlene (Nurse)
- Siblings – Roger (Brother), Jennifer (Sister)
5 ft 5½ in or 166.5 cm
61 kg or 134.5 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Helen has dated –
- Prem Narayan Arora (1957-1974)
- Satish Kaul
- Salim Khan (1981-Present) – She is the step-mother of Salim’s 5 children Salman Khan (b. December 27, 1965), Arbaaz Khan (b. August 4, 1967), Sohail Khan (b. December 20, 1970), Alvira Khan Agnihotri (b. December 13, 1969), and Arpita Khan (b. August 1, 1989). She can also often be seen accompanied by director Salim and his first wife Salma Khan.
Race / Ethnicity
Multiracial (Asian and White)
She has Anglo-Indian ancestry on her father’s side and Burmese ancestry on her mother’s side.
- She wears a pair of reading spectacles.
- Sports a short haircut
Helen Favorite Things
- Cabaret – Lata Mangeshkar‘s Inteqaam’s Aa Jaan-e-Jaan (1969)
Source – Rediff
- She lost her father during World War II. After that, in 1943, Helen and her family walked and hitchhiked from Burma to Bombay through wilderness and villages in an effort to escape the Japanese invasion of Burma.
- She has danced to a number of popular tracks by singer and songwriter Asha Bhosle including Piya Tu Ab Toh Aaja, Kar Le Pyar Kar Le, Aao Na Gale Lagao Na, and Yeh Mera Dil Pyar Ka Diwana.
- In spite of having already been cast in a number of films, Helen got her first big break when she performed to the track Mera Naam Chin Chin Chu in the film Howrah Bridge (1958). She was only 19 years old at the time.
- She had announced her retirement from acting in films in 1984.
- In 1999, Helen was presented with the Filmfare Lifetime Achievement Award.
- It was a family friend named Cuckoo Moray who was also a dancer and actress in the Hindi film industry, that had helped Helen start a career in Bollywood.
- Until 2020, Helen had been nominated for 5 Filmfare Awards, of which, she won her first in 1980, for her work in the film Lahu Ke Do Rang (1979).
- Helen was presented with a Padma Shri in 2009.
Featured Image By Bollywood Hungama / Wikimedia / CC BY 3.0