|William Osman Quick Info
|6 ft 2 in
|Date of Birth
|June 8, 1991
William Osman is an American mechanical and electrical engineer who runs a popular, self-titled DIY YouTube channel. He had initially started with only a blog that documented his projects but got inspired to start a channel on YouTube after watching a few YouTubers’ videos that focused on technology and experiments-related content. William’s videos involve quirky and creative projects, mainly dealing with lasers, artificial intelligence, and robotics, and often include special/visual effects. His playful demeanor and funny style have made him one of the most-loved original content creators on YouTube, with more than 1.5 million subscribers and more than 160 million views on the channel. He occasionally does collaboration videos with YouTubers like Alex Ernst, Mark Rober, Simone Giertz, Bobby Duke, and Peter Sripol.
Bill, Huggy Bear
Ventura, California, United States
Ventura, California, United States
William holds degrees in mechanical and electrical engineering from California State University, Northridge.
YouTuber, Mechanical/Electrical Engineer
6 ft 2 in or 188 cm
78 kg or 172 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
William has dated –
- Chelsea Osman (2015–Present) – William started dating fellow Ventura resident and elementary school teacher Chelsea Rhoads in 2015. The couple got married in 2016. Chelsea makes regular appearances in William’s YouTube videos and he refers to her as ‘caretaker’.
Race / Ethnicity
- Short-cropped hair
- Sports a beard
Best Known For
His YouTube videos about laser cutter experiments, egg drop challenges, and robotics projects
William Osman Favorite Things
- YouTube Channels – Applied Science, the Hacksmith
- YouTuber – Simone Giertz
- Sandwich – Cubanos
Source – HTXT.co.za, Vice
William Osman Facts
- Before starting his YouTube channel, William was a professional engineer with experience in diverse technologies such as non-magnetic MRI equipment, aircraft ground support equipment, exploration vehicles, and experimental military equipment.
- He often does experiments that involve cutting everyday items with lasers. For this purpose, William has built an 80-watt laser cutter from scratch and named it RetinaSmelter9000. It can cut most non-metals having thickness up to 1-2 inches and can cut through metal if used with oxygen assist.
- Some of the projects that he has completed and created videos about include a stroboscope, a laser-cut skateboard, a speed sensor, a combat robot, a net gun, a remote-controlled car, a robotic alarm clock, and a remote-controlled shopping cart.
- William’s cameraman, John Willner, is a regular feature on the channel. William has almost turned him into a special part of his videos, often blocking/masking his face, and referring to him merely as CameraManJohn. John and William have been friends since high school. William’s wife, Chelsea, also makes frequent cameos on the channel.
- The video that made William’s channel viral was uploaded on March 28, 2017. A viewer had sent a request to him asking him to sculpt a bust of actor Vin Diesel using laser-cut cross-sections of laser-cut ham. He took up the challenge as a fun project but the video got tremendous response from viewers and has amassed more than 2.5 million views.
- Wiliam has a secondary YouTube channel titled William Osman 2, which has more than 200k subscribers.
- On his website, William maintains a complete record of project ideas that he has considered including the names of fans who suggested a particular idea.
- In June 2017, William was affected by a blazing wildfire that destroyed a lot of property in California. William and his wife survived the event but their house was destroyed. He then uploaded a heart-breaking video on YouTube showing the extent of the damage. For the next few months, he lived in a motorhome and with close friends but continued to churn out new videos. William’s friend, David Willner, then started a GoFundMe account to help him out. The campaign had started intending to raise USD 10k. However, William’s fans stepped up to the task by raising more than USD 120k within 20 hours.
- Cats have been a recurring motif in William’s videos and he sells his cat-themed merchandise such as shirts, stickers, and hoodies online.
- Visit his official website @ williamosman.com.
- Follow him on Twitter, YouTube, Facebook, and Instagram.
Featured Image by William Osman / Instagram