|Yoko Ono Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 2 in|
|Date of Birth||February 18, 1933|
|Hair Color||Dark Brown|
Yoko Ono is a Japanese artist, peace activist, singer, songwriter, actress, director, producer, and writer who is known for her contributions to art as well as for having been married to the legendary musician John Lennon.
New York, United States
Yoko Ono studied at Gakushuin (also known as the Peers School) and Keimei Gakuen. Later, she got enrolled at Gakushuin University to study Philosophy but dropped out soon after.
Afterward, she attended Sarah Lawrence College located in Yonkers, New York.
Artist, Peace Activist, Singer, Songwriter, Actress, Director, Producer, Writer
- Father – Eisuke Ono
- Mother – Isoko (Yasuda)
- Siblings – Setsuko Ono (Sister), Keisuke Ono (Brother)
- Others – Eijiro Ono (Paternal Grandfather), Tsuruko Saisho (Paternal Grandmother), Zenjiro Yasuda (Maternal Grandfather) (Entrepreneur), Julian Lennon (Stepson) (Singer, Musician, Photographer)
Yoko Ono is represented by –
- Studio One, Company, New York City, New York, United States
- HarperCollins Publishers, Book Publisher, New York City, New York, United States
Avant-Garde, Downtown, Performance Art, Experimental, Rock, Pop, Electronic
Vocals, Percussion, Piano
Apple Records, Geffen Records, Polydor Records Ltd., Rykodisc, Manimal Vinyl, Astralwerks, Chimera, Secretly Canadian
5 ft 2 in or 157.5 cm
50 kg or 110 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Yoko Ono has dated –
- Toshi Ichiyanagi (1956-1962) – She was married to Toshi Ichiyanagi, composer and pianist, between 1956 and 1962.
- Anthony Cox (1962-1969) – On November 28, 1962, she married American film producer and art promoter, Anthony Cox, and they became parents to a daughter named Kyoko Chan Cox on August 8, 1963. However, the relationship soon started to crumble and they finally divorced on February 2, 1969.
- La Monte Young (1965-1966) – She had a short-termed romantic association with La Monte Young, an American avant-garde composer, musician, and artist.
- John Lennon (1966-1980) – She married the founder, co-lead vocalist, and rhythm guitarist of the Beatles, John Lennon, in 1969 and they had a very publicized relationship. On October 9, 1975, their son, Sean Ono Lennon, was born and he has established himself as a musician, songwriter, producer, and multi-instrumentalist. Lennon and Yoko Ono remained together until his murder in 1980.
- Sámuel Havadtõy (1981-2004) – From 1981 to 2004, she was in a relationship with artist Sámuel Havadtõy.
Race / Ethnicity
Yoko Ono is of Japanese descent.
- Petite stature
- Often wears hats
She has done endorsement work for the likes of One2One cellular telephone and Apple Computers.
Yoko Ono Facts
- She started taking piano lessons when she was 4 years old.
- The English translation of her name is ‘Ocean Child’.
- Yoko Ono’s debut avant-garde studio album, Yoko Ono/Plastic Ono Band, was released on December 11, 1970.
- She has been friends and neighbors with singer Roberta Flack.
- For the album titled Double Fantasy, she won the 1982 Grammy Award for “Album of the Year” along with John Lennon and Jack Douglas.
- VH1 has placed Yoko Ono at number #84 in its ‘100 Greatest Women of Rock N Roll’ list.
- She has authored several books including Grapefruit, Odyssey of a Cockroach, and Summer of 1980.
Featured Image by Marcela Cataldi Cipolla / Wikimedia / CC BY 3.0