|Youn Yuh-jung Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 4 in|
|Date of Birth||June 19, 1947|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
Youn Yuh-jung is a South Korean actress who made her acting debut in 1967 and soon rose to fame with her roles in 1971. Over the years, she has been cast in a number of on-screen roles which include Soonja in Minari, Myeong-ja in Woman of Fire, Hong Byeong-han in A Good Lawyer’s Wife, Hyun-woo’s mother in Springtime, Moon-kyeong’s mother in Ha Ha Ha, Kang Deok-soo in Right Now, Wrong Then, So-young in The Bacchus Lady, Gye-choon in Canola, Mom in Boomerang Family, Baek Geum-ok in The Taste of Money, Byeong-sik in The Housemaid, Uhm Chung-ae in My Husband Got a Family, Oh Choong-nam in Dear My Friends, and Seo Mi-soon in The Golden Age of Daughters-in-Law.
Gaesong-bu, Gyeonggi Province, South Korea
Youn Yuh-jung attended Hanyang University and studied Korean Language and Literature. However, she later dropped out of college to pursue her passion for acting.
5 ft 4 in or 162.5 cm
48 kg or 106 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Youn Yuh-jung has dated –
- Jo Young-nam (1975-1987) – In the year 1975, she got married to singer and television personality Jo Young-nam and retired at that time when she was at the peak of her career. Later on, she immigrated to the United States before returning to Korea and permanently resumed her acting career in 1984. In 1987, the couple divorced.
Race / Ethnicity
Youn Yuh-jung is of Korean descent.
Often wears glasses
Youn Yuh-jung Facts
- She was a freshman at Hanyang University when she passed the open auditions held by TBC in 1966.
- She co-starred as Byeong-sik in the 2010 melodramatic erotic thriller film, The Housemaid. For this role, she won the “Best Supporting Actress” at the 18th Chunsa Film Art Award, 19th Buil Film Award, 47th Grand Bell Award, 5th Asian Film Award, 8th Korean Film Award, and 31st Blue Dragon Film Award.
- In 2016, Youn Yuh-jung appeared as an elderly prostitute called Youn So-young in the drama film, The Bacchus Lady.
- Alongside Steven Yeun, Han Ye-ri, Alan Kim, Noel Kate Cho, and Will Patton, she was cast in one of the lead roles of Soon-ja in the 2020 American drama film, Minari, which revolves around a family of South Korean immigrants who try to make it in rural America during the 1980s.
- Youn Yuh-jung’s performance in Minari brought her much critical acclaim and she won the Boston Society of Film Critics Award, Los Angeles Film Critics Association Award, and Sunset Film Critics Circle Award.
- In 2021, she won the SAG Award for “Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Supporting Role” for her work in the 2020 drama film Minari.
- In April 2021, she won the Academy Award for “Best Supporting Actress” for her role in the drama film, Minari. With this, she became the first South Korean and Asian actress to achieve this recognition.
Featured Image by My Sweet Pear Tree / tistory.com / CC BY 4.0