Designed by 5 star celebrity trainer, Harley Pasternak, 5 Factor Diet Plan which is also known as “Way of Life” is the most popular weight loss plan.
Hollywood celebrities such as Mandy Moore, Alicia Keys, Kanye West, Eva Mendes, Jessica Simpson, John Mayer, and countless others brought their bodies in perfect shapes by using the marvelous diet plan.
What does it Mean by 5 Factor Diet Plan?
5 Factor diet plan has everything in the magnitude of five. Right from the number of meals to the number of workouts, every activity is dramatically related to five.
5 Factor Diet Plan consists of five meals in a day, having five factor foods such as low fat protein-rich foods, low to moderate carbs, high fiber foods, healthy fat, and non-sugary drinks.
The diet plan needs to be followed five times in a week, along-with five intense workouts of five minutes each. Apart from providing the privilege of five cheat days in five weeks, the total duration of the plan too is five weeks.
How Glycemic Index affects weight Loss?
Glycemic Index is the method of measuring the impact of various foods on blood sugar level in your body. Foods high in glycemic index such as grapes, sugary beverages, cakes, cookies, pastries etc. lead to formation of more insulin in your body.
After three hours, the increased insulin drastically comes down and makes you feel hungry. And you naturally will eat more, when you are hungry. The diet program being reliant on foods having low ranking of glycemic index such as fruits and vegetables not only stabilize your blood sugar level but also trim down the count of calories in your body.
Recommended Food Items
5 Factor Diet Plan consists of five meals in a day, which means three meals and two snacks. The main objective of the diet plan is to feed your body with healthy foods before it feels hungry and thus keep a check on your hunger pangs, which are mainly responsible for weight gain.
The diet plan requires five factor foods to nourish your body. Here are the recommended food items you can consume while going along with the diet plan –
Low Fat Protein Rich food – The First Factor Food
You can consume chicken breast, egg whites, seafood, fish, salmon, cottage cheese, and low fat milk to nourish your body. Salmon is highly recommended in the diet plan. You can have as much salmon as you want.
Low to Moderate Carbs – The Second Factor Food
You have to be extra careful while selecting the food items of second factor plan because these food items are picked on the basis of glycemic index. Oatmeal, lentils, sweet potato, spinach, quinoa, wild rice, and other vegetables give your body low to moderate carbs. Prefer selecting food items having GI below the level of 80.
Fibrous Foods – The Third Factor Food
Brown rice, beans, apple, wheat bread without flour, broccoli, whole-grain cereal, and other vegetables and fruits are rich in fiber.
Good Fat – The Fourth Factor Food
Your body requires unsaturated fat. You can get healthy fat from canola, grape seed, mustard, and olive oil. Instead of cooking your food in refined oil, prefer using olive or mustard oil.
Non-Sugary Drinks – The Fifth Factor Food
Sugary drinks tend to increase your blood sugar level. You can drink tea, coffee, and energy drinks without adding sugar in them. Apart from them, include a lot of water in your daily diet.
Workouts in 5 Factor Diet Plan
5 Factor diet plan has perfectly been mingled with workouts for accelerating the metabolism of your body, which further accentuate fat burning process in your body. The plan gives 50% weight-age to workouts. Without demanding much time for workouts, the diet program requires you to give just 25 minutes for doing five different workouts, while giving five minutes to each workout.
The diet plan has categorized workouts into two categories – Cardio workouts and strength training. Warm up your body for five minutes through walking, running, jogging, or through any way of cardio workout. For strength training, dumbbells and weight lifting have been emphasized in the plan. You don’t necessarily need to hit gym for doing workouts; they can easily be practiced at home
Benefits of 5 Factor Diet Plan
5 Factor Diet Plan affects your body in numerous positive ways. Some of the benefits of the plan are –
- Apart from helping you in shedding surplus pounds, the diet solution will also improve your cardiovascular system.
- The plan being in favor of rest and recovery process will keep a check on the production of stress hormone named cortisol hormone. While eliminating stress from your body, the plan will work on your temperament and will make it cheerful.
- You can abide by the plan for a really long time because one ditch day in a week will not let you get bored of it. You can consume anything you wish on the ditch day.
- The diet plan focuses on burning more calories than consumed because you lose weight when your body burns more calories than consumed. And the diet plan being accompanied with workouts will double the benefits.
And the diet plan being accompanied with workouts will double the benefits.
Drawbacks of the Plan
Pasternak very skillfully devised the diet plan, but the diet plan has some drawbacks also.
- The plan certainly targets on developing healthy eating habits but there is no guidance about the number of calories required to be consumed in a day. Moreover, due to difference in physiology, there is difference in the calorie consumption of men and women. But no attention has been paid to that.
- It seems that the plan has neglected normal people and has assumed only celebs as its users. The plan requires you to have a professional cook, who can prepare the recommended meals for you. But if you cannot afford to have one, you might end up finding you cooking for the whole day.
- Workouts have rightly been emphasized in the diet plan, which best suit the needs of busy people. But people having high targets such as building muscles or targets that are more visionary obviously need to work harder on their bodies. The plan has overlooked those people also.