|Alex Pereira Quick Info|
|Height||6 ft 4 in|
|Date of Birth||July 7, 1987|
|Girlfriend||Merle de la B.|
Alex Pereira is a Brazilian professional mixed martial artist and former kickboxer who amassed a 33-7 win-loss record in professional kickboxing between March 2012 and April 2021. He is a former Glory (an international kickboxing promotion based in Singapore) middleweight and light heavyweight champion and was the first fighter to have held Glory titles in 2 weight classes simultaneously. In February 2021, Alex was ranked number 1 in the kickboxing middleweight and light-heavyweight rankings. His professional mixed martial arts career ran in parallel where he has amassed a 7-1 win-loss record, as of January 2023. His only defeat came in his debut bout in October 2015. In November 2022, he defeated Israel Adesanya via TKO (punches) in 5 rounds to win the UFC (Ultimate Fighting Championship) Middleweight Championship. As of January 2023, Alex had competed in 4 UFC bouts and won the ‘Performance of the Night’ bonus award thrice. As of January 2023, he was ranked 6th on the UFC men’s pound-for-pound rankings.
Alex, Poatan (Hands of Stone)
São Bernardo do Campo, State of São Paulo, Brazil
Danbury, Fairfield County, Connecticut, United States
Alex had dropped out of middle school.
Professional Mixed Martial Artist, Kickboxer (Retired)
- Siblings – Aline Pereira (Younger Sister) (Professional Mixed Martial Artist, Kickboxer (Retired))
- Middleweight, Light Heavyweight (MMA, Kickboxing)
- Cruiserweight (Boxing)
6 ft 7 in or 200.5 cm
6 ft 4 in or 193 cm
84 kg or 185 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Alex has dated –
- Merle de la B. (2022-Present)
Alex’s previous relationship ended in divorce either in late 2021 or early 2022 although his ex-wife’s name has not been publicly revealed. He has 2 sons named Lohan Vidal Silva and Alessandro Vidal Silva.
Race / Ethnicity
He is of indigenous Brazilian (belonging to the Pataxó tribe) descent.
- Toned physique
- Towering frame
- Close-cropped hair
- Often sports a stubble
- Has both his hands, his right thigh, and his entire upper body covered in tattoos
He has been sponsored by –
- Roobet.com (Online cryptocurrency-based gambling platform)
- Smilodox (German sports apparel and equipment manufacturer)
Alex Pereira Facts
- Alex grew up in a favela (a term used to refer to several types of working-class neighborhoods in Brazil) and began working at a tire shop when he was about 12 years old. Due to the influence of his more senior colleagues there, he took to drinking and eventually became an alcoholic.
- He started getting trained in kickboxing in 2009 to distract his mind and gradually get rid of his alcohol addiction. He has stayed completely away from alcohol since 2012.
- His nickname ‘Poatan’ was given by his first kickboxing trainer who was also responsible for helping Alex discover his indigenous ancestry. ‘Poatan’ loosely translates to ‘Hands of Stone’ in the Tupi-Guarani language (the most widely distributed subfamily of the Tupian language family that comprises about 70 languages spoken in South America).
- Alex holds a black belt in kickboxing and a brown belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. Besides his prolific career in professional kickboxing and mixed martial arts, he, as of January 2023, has competed in a professional boxing match as well – in June 2017, a win via TKO.
- In 2022, ESPN, MMAjunkie.com, and MMA Fighting honored him with their ‘Male Fighter of the Year’ awards. MMAjunkie.com and MMA Fighting are news websites that are dedicated to the coverage of mixed martial arts. Sherdog, a similar portal to these two, named Alex their ‘Breakthrough Fighter of the Year’ as well as their ‘Fighter of the Year’ for his performances in 2022.
Featured Image by Alex Pereira / Instagram