|Alexander McQueen Quick Info
|5 ft 11 in
|Date of Birth
|March 17, 1969
Alexander McQueen was a British fashion designer who was globally recognized for establishing the eponymous Alexander McQueen luxury fashion house. He was renowned for his lavish and unconventional runway shows and for using shock tactics and depicting the dark phases of Scottish history during his fashion shows. He was often credited with introducing drama and extravagance to the normal catwalk and for adding a sense of fantasy to fashion. Alexander’s remarkable achievements in the fashion world earned him 4 ‘British Designer of the Year’ awards (1996, 1997, 2001, 2003), as well as the CFDA’s ‘International Designer of the Year award’ in 2003.
Lee Alexander McQueen
L’enfant Terrible, The Hooligan of English Fashion
Alexander McQueen was born on March 17, 1969.
He died on February 11, 2010, by committing suicide at his residence in Green Street, Mayfair, London, England, United Kingdom. He was just 40 years old at the time of his death.
Lewisham, London, England, United Kingdom
Alexander attended Rokeby School in London and left school in 1985 with an O-level in arts. He then finished a course in tailoring at Newham College.
After college, he attended the Rosetta Art Centre from where he was recommended to the Central Saint Martins College of Art and Design. He graduated with a master’s degree in fashion design from the institution in 1992.
- Father – Ronald McQueen (Taxi Driver)
- Mother – Joyce McQueen (Social Science Teacher) (d. 2010)
- Siblings – Michael McQueen (Older Brother), Tony McQueen (Older Brother), Janet McQueen (Older Sister). He had 2 other older sisters.
5 ft 11 in or 180.5 cm
70 kg or 154.5 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Alexander had dated –
- George Forsyth (2000–2001) – Alexander got married to documentary filmmaker George Forsyth in 2000, on a yacht in Ibiza. However, the marriage was not deemed official as same-gender marriage had not been legalized in Spain at that time. Models Kate Moss and Annabelle Neilson were bridesmaids at the event. The couple parted ways in 2001 but maintained a close friendship thereafter.
Race / Ethnicity
He was of British (Scottish) descent.
- Short-cropped hair
- Used to sport a trimmed goatee
- Mildly stocky frame
- Had an inscription tattooed on his right arm
- Had a mole under his right eye
Alexander McQueen Favorite Things
- Adventure Sport – Scuba Diving
- Travel Destination – Maldives
- Pet – Dogs
Source – Wikipedia
Alexander McQueen Facts
- Alexander’s 1992 graduation collection was wholly bought by influential English fashion stylist and magazine editor Isabella Blow. It was Isabella who had reportedly persuaded him to be known as Alexander in the fashion world instead of his first name, Lee.
- Alexander collaborated with several musical artists during his career, including designing David Bowie‘s wardrobe for his tours between 1996 and 1997. He also assisted Icelandic singer Björk with the design of the cover of her 1997 album Homogenic and directed the music video of the song titled Alarm Call from the same album.
- He had also worked as the chief fashion designer for the French luxury fashion house Givenchy from 1996 to 2001.
- Alexander was openly gay and had stated that he had realized this at the age of 6. However, he opened up about this to his family only upon turning 18. After initial reluctance, his family accepted his s*xual orientation. He had also revealed that he was HIV positive.
- Alexander often used to utilize skulls and deep water as inspirations and motifs for his designs.
- He had suffered from mixed anxiety and depressive disorders for more than 3 years before his death and had even overdosed on drugs twice as a last resort. His mother had passed away just 9 days before his suicide.
Featured Image by Alexander McQueen / Twitter