|Ali Sethi Quick Info
|6 ft 3 in
|Date of Birth
|July 2, 1984
Ali Sethi is a Pakistani-American singer, songwriter, composer, author, and columnist who shot to fame with his debut novel The Wish Maker (2009). He has sung numbers in various films including the song Dil Jalanay Ki Baat Karte Ho in The Reluctant Fundamentalist (2012). He has released a number of cover singles like Mere Aur Hain Iraday and dropped numerous songs such as the one for Coke Studio that he sang with Shae Gill, titled Pasoori (2022), which became the first Pakistani song to be listed in Spotify’s “Viral 50 – Global” chart. Sethi has garnered more than 340k followers on Instagram.
Ali Aziz Sethi
Lahore, Punjab, Pakistan
Sethi went to the International School of Choueifat and Aitchison College in Lahore, Pakistan. He attended Harvard College from 2002 to 2006, having initially planned to major in Economics. However, after taking a class on Islamic culture in contemporary societies, Sethi wanted to know more about the intersections of theology, politics, linguistics, and culture and so h changed his major to South Asian Studies.
While at Harvard, Sethi also attended classes on Creative Writing, Colonial and Post-colonial art as well as Sanskrit, Bengali, and Tamil poetry.
Singer, Songwriter, Composer, Author, Columnist
- Father – Najam Sethi (Journalist, Businessman & Politician)
- Mother – Jugnu Mohsin (Publisher & Politician)
- Siblings – Mira Sethi (Younger Sister) (Actress & Writer)
- Others – Moni Mohsin (Aunt) (Writer)
Classical, Contemporary, Ghazal
Vocals, Guitar, Piano, Harmonium
- True Brew Records
- Mainstage Records
6 ft 3 in or 190.5 cm
80 kg or 176.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Boyfriend / Spouse
Ali has dated –
- Sonya Hussyn – Rumor
- Salman Toor (2016-Present) – Ali started dating New York-based Pakistani artist Salman Toor in 2016. Ali and Salman had been close friends since high school. In August 2023, it was falsely reported that the couple had tied the knot. However, Ali later denied the marriage rumors.
Race / Ethnicity
He is of Pakistani descent.
He often tends to dye his hair in different shades.
- Wears spectacles
- Beard mustache
- Pierced ear
- Tall stature
He has endorsed or promoted several brands such as ZN ALI.
Ali Sethi Favorite Things
- Music Directors/Music Composers Of Bollywood He Would Like To Work With – Vishal Bhardwaj, Rochak Kohli
Source – Indian Express
Ali Sethi Facts
- He has revealed that his earliest memories of music has included listening to the hit songs of Noor Jehan on an ancient tape recorder in his mother’s room along with national songs that they played all day on PTV which he would find to be strangely melancholic. Sethi has also remembered listening to the “nohas” that used to be recited in shaking voices during the Shia mourning rituals that were held in his great-grandmother’s “haveli” in the Walled City. He has added that those musical encounters had played a crucial role in shaping his earliest sense of place.
- He has recalled that when he was eight years old, his mother had got him apprenticed to a Master “sahib”. However, he was not at all interested and would prance about the room, and go on urging him to drink more tea, which he would never resist.
- Ali has enjoyed singing classical pieces as well as Punjabi folk songs. He has stated that he has always given priority primarily to melody and if a tune has drawn him in, he has been humming it till he has got it in his own style.
- Sethi has described himself as an above average student who has been particularly interested in art, drawing, music, and poetry.
Featured Image by Ali Sethi / Instagram