|Alka Yagnik Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 6 in|
|Date of Birth||March 20, 1966|
Alka Yagnik is an Indian playback singer who has had an illustrious and prolific career in the Indian film industry with more than 20,000 songs to her credit in more than 1,000 films which includes more than 2,500 songs in the Hindi-language Bollywood movies. As of May 2020, she held the records for ‘Most Awards’ (7), ‘Most Nominations’ (36), and ‘Most Nominations in a Single Year’ (4 in 1994) in the category of ‘Best Female Playback Singer’ at the coveted Filmfare Awards. Alka has also won the prestigious National Film Award for the songs titled Ghoongat Ki Aad Se in 1993 and Kuch Kuch Hota Hai in 1998. In March 2020, she was ranked at number 1 in YouTube’s ‘Music Charts & Insights’ list of top global musical artists. She has also judged singing-based reality shows such as Sa Re Ga Ma Pa L’il Champs (2006, 2009, 2014, 2020), Indian Idol (2008), and Superstar Singer (2019).
Queen of Playback Singing
Kolkata, West Bengal, India
Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
- Father – Dharmendra Shankar Yagnik
- Mother – Shubha Yagnik (Classical Vocalist)
- Siblings – Samir Yagnik (Younger Brother) (Singer)
- Others – Amit Desai (Son-in-Law), Garima Yagnik (Niece) (Singer)
- Tips Industries
- Venus Music
- Zee Music
- Sony Music India
5 ft 6 in or 167.5 cm
63 kg or 139 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Alka has dated –
- Neeraj Kapoor (1989–Present) – Alka got married to Indian businessman Neeraj Kapoor in 1989. They have a daughter together named Syesha Kapoor who is an entrepreneur.
Race / Ethnicity
She is of Gujarati descent.
- Charming smile
- Mildly stocky frame
- Long, straight hair
- Radiant face
Alka Yagnik Facts
- A child prodigy, Alka started singing on programs for the All India Radio in Kolkata from the age of just 6. When she was 10 years old, her mother brought her to Mumbai so that she could earn opportunities as a child singer.
- Her first song for a film came in 1980, at the age of 14. The film was called Payal Ki Jhankaar. Her big breakthrough, however, came in 1988 with the song Ek Do Teen from the film Tezaab (1988) for which she won her first Filmfare Award in the category of ‘Best Female Playback Singer’. She revealed in an interview that she was suffering from high fever on the day that the song was being recorded.
- Although she has predominantly made her name with Hindi-language songs, she has proved her versatility over the years with hundreds of songs in languages like Assamese, Bengali, Gujarati, Malayalam, Marathi, Punjabi, Tamil, and Telugu.
- Her hit track titled Chamma Chamma from the 1998 Bollywood film China Gate was featured in the song Hindi Sad Diamonds from the soundtrack of the 2001 jukebox musical romantic drama Hollywood film Moulin Rouge!
- When BBC compiled its list of ‘Top 40 Bollywood Soundtracks of all Time’ in 2008, it included 20 songs where Alka had contributed as a vocalist.
- In 2012, to mark 100 years of Hindi cinema, a poll was jointly conducted by DesiMartini, Hindustan Times, and Fever 104, where her song Taal Se Taal Mila from the 1999 movie Taal was voted as the ‘Best Song of the Century’.
- On January 30, 2023, she had become the most streamed singer in the world by beating Taylor Swift, Drake, and Beyonce. Alka had recorded 15.3 billion streams in 2022 which gives a per-day average of 42 million streams.
- Alka Yagnik had achieved 17 billion streams in 2021 and 16.6 billion in 2020. She was the most streamed singer of 2020 and 2021 as well and made her name in the Guinness Book of World Records.
Featured Image by Alka Yagnik / Instagram