|Andra Day Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 7.5 in|
|Date of Birth||December 30, 1984|
Andra day is a well-known American singer and songwriter who came in the limelight after her critically acclaimed album Cheers to the Fall released in 2015. Before her success, Andra used to post her performances on YouTube which includes her cover songs and mashups. She earned the “Powerhouse Award” at the Billboard Women in Music event in December 2016. She has a huge social media fan base with more than 300k followers on Instagram, more than 500k followers on Twitter, and more than 600k subscribers on YouTube.
Cassandra Monique Batie
Spokane, Washington, United States
Los Angeles, California, United States
Andra went to Valencia Park Elementary School and generated her interest in performing arts. In 2003, she graduated from San Diego School of Creative and Performing Arts.
Singer, Songwriter, Actress
- Siblings – Jessie (Older Sister)
Andra is represented by Bassline Management.
Soul, R&B, Blues, Disco, and Pop
- Warner Bros Records
- Buskin Records
5 ft 7.5 in or 171.5 cm
58 kg or 128 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Andra has dated –
- Don Bowie (2015) – Andra was rumored to be dating chef Don Bowie in 2015. She often posted pictures with him on social media.
In an interview, she revealed that she was in an 8-year long relationship during her days in San Diego. The relationship started when she was 18 years old, however, they broke up later. The breakup was amicable, and she and her ex are on friendly terms.
Race / Ethnicity
Andra has African-American ancestry.
She often tends to dye her hair ‘Blonde’ or ‘Light Brown’.
Andra has done endorsement work for the winter 2016 assortment of the jewelry brand, Pandora.
In 2015, she appeared in an Apple TV commercial.
She has also used her social media presence to endorse brands like –
- Victoria Hayes
- Christian Louboutin
Best Known For
Her song Rise Up which was nominated for The Grammy Awards for the “Best R&B Performance” in 2016
Andra Day released her debut studio album titled Cheers to the Fall on August 28, 2015, via Warner Bros. Records.
Andra made her theatrical film debut as Minton’s Singer in the legal drama film Marshall in 2017.
As a voice actress, she made her theatrical film debut by lending her voice to the character of Sweet Tea in Cars 3 in 2017.
First TV Show
She made her first TV show appearance on the talk show The Real in June 2015.
Andra Day Favorite Things
- Style Icon – Lucille Ball
- Artists – Adele, Amy Winehouse, Florence and the Machine
- Place To Travel – Southern California, Seoul
Andra Day Facts
- At the age of 5, Andra started taking dance lessons.
- She started singing at an early age and at the age of 12, she got familiar with the sounds of the famous Jazz singers Billie Holiday, Ella Fitzgerald, and Dinah Washington.
- While studying in elementary school, she developed her interest in performing arts.
- During her primitive years, Andra started singing at First United Methodist Church in Chula Vista, California.
- After graduating from high school in 2003, Andra used to work as a children’s entertainer.
- In 2010, while performing at a strip mall, Day came in contact with Kai Millard, a fashion designer and the former wife of Stevie Wonder, which was a significant turning point in her carrier.
- Day’s YouTube covers, videos, and mashups gave her the chance to sign the deal with the most prominent label, Warner Bros. Records. Her videos were shot in her sister’s room in San Diego.
- Andra has worked with the famous English singer and songwriter Adrian Curtis Gurvitz on a project including 40 original songs in the past.
- During her performance at the 2014 Sundance Film Festival, Day met director and producer Shelton Jackson “Spike” Lee, and he got ready to direct the video of her song Forever Mine (2015).
- In September 2015, Andra’s song Rise Up was used in a commercial for Beats by Dre. The commercial featured the famous tennis player Serena Williams.
- On October 28, 2016, her first EP Merry Christmas from Andra Day was released.
- In May 2016, she signed up with McDonald’s and Coca-Cola, and the deal was just a part of “Share a Cup” lyrics program which was inspired by the lyrics from Andra’s song Rise Up. Her photo was imprinted on more than 50 million cups for the promotion of Essence Music Festival which was going to be held in June 2016.
- Andra has performed at the White House alongside famous artists like Demi Lovato, Leon Bridges, Anthony Hamilton, Yolanda Adams, Usher, and many more.
- Andra’s first album Cheers to The Fall peaked at the number 3 spot on the US Billboard Top R&B Albums chart and was nominated for the Grammy Award for “Best R&B Album” in 2016.
- Visit her official website @ www.andraday.com.
Featured Image by Andy Witchger / Flickr / CC BY-2.0