|Andy García Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 9 in|
|Date of Birth||April 12, 1956|
|Spouse||Maria Victoria Marivi Lorido|
Andy García is a Cuban-born American actor and director, who rose to prominence in the 1980s with films like The Untouchables and The Godfather: Part III. Although he has achieved popularity for his roles in cult gangster movies, his charming presence coupled with his onscreen elegance made him one of the most sought-after leading men in the film industry. García has become a well-established name in Hollywood but he is equally reputed for being very guarded in his personal life and usually prefers to stay out of the limelight. His long-standing career received a boost in 2018 with all 4 of his films receiving good reviews in that year.
Andrés Arturo García Menéndez
Andy Arthur, Andres Garcia
Los Angeles, California, United States
Andy studied at the Miami Beach Senior High School. He was involved in his school’s basketball team but had to quit due to a bout of mononucleosis. During his senior year, he took acting lessons with drama teacher Jay W. Jensen, who has also coached the likes of Mickey Rourke, Brett Ratner, etc.
He went on to attend and complete his graduation from Florida International University, located in Miami.
- Father – René García Núñez (Attorney, Avocado Farmer, Owner of a Fragrance Business) (Died in 1993)
- Mother – Amelie Menéndez (English Teacher)
- Siblings – Tessi García (Older Sister), René García (Older Brother)
- Others – Antonio García (Paternal Grandfather), Christina Núñez (Paternal Grandmother), Jackie García (Niece) (Daughter of brother René García), Jackie Taylor (Granddaughter) (Daughter of niece Jackie García), Mirtha Sierra Garcia (Sister-in-Law) (Wife of brother René)
Andy is represented by –
- Brillstein Entertainment Partners located in California
- Cineson Productions, Inc. in California
5 ft 9 in or 175 cm
76 kg or 167.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Andy García has dated –
- Maria Victoria Marivi Lorido (1975-Present) – Andy and Maria met for the first time at a club in 1975. He has jokingly mentioned that he proposed to Maria during their very first meeting. Their courtship lasted for about 7 years and the duo got married on September 24, 1982. Their marriage is one of the few long-lasting unions in Hollywood. They are proud parents to 4 kids. Their daughter Dominik García-Lorido was born on August 16, 1983. She was followed by 2 more girls, Daniella García-Lorido (b. January 3, 1988) and Alessandra García-Lorido (b. June 20, 1991) who is a plus-size model. Lastly, they had a boy named Andrés García-Lorido who was born on January 28, 2002. All of his children are actors and have featured in some of his film projects.
Race / Ethnicity
- Widow’s peak
- A scar on his shoulder denoting his undeveloped conjoined twin who was surgically removed at birth
Andy has done endorsement work for the following brands –
- DirecTV (2003)
- The DISH Network (2003)
- National Mentoring Month (2005)
- Cadillac (2007)
- Nespresso (2017)
- NFL (2018)
Best Known For
- His impressive body of work which includes films like The Untouchables (1987), When a Man Loves a Woman (1994), Ocean’s Eleven (2001) and its sequels, For Love or Country: The Arturo Sandoval Story (2000), and many more
- His portrayal of Vincent Mancini in the highly-anticipated film The Godfather: Part III in 1990, for which he received a nomination for the Academy Award for “Best Supporting Actor”
As a Singer
Andy has performed musical numbers in many of his films like Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again (2018), The Lost City (2005), Ocean’s Twelve (2004), Rio 2 (2014), etc.
Andy made his theatrical film debut as Ken in the 1983 comedy film Blue Skies Again.
First TV Show
In 1978, he made his TV show debut as Pepe in the Here Comes the Bride episode of the American bilingual sitcom ¿Qué Pasa, USA? (What’s Happening, USA?).
Andy played basketball in high school but unfortunately, he got afflicted with mononucleosis and had to let go of his dreams of being a professional athlete. With age, he began practicing yoga, however, it ended up putting more strain on his back as he was suffering from disc issues. He then switched to Pilates which helped build his core strength and relieved him of back pain. He also enjoys playing golf once a week.
Andy García Favorite Things
- Films – The Godfather (1972), The Godfather Part II (1974), Being There (1979), Serpico (1973), Mon Oncle (1958), Playtime (1967), The General (1927)
- Cuban Dish – White rice with 2 or 3 eggs fried in extra virgin olive oil and fried bananas on the side
Source – Rotten Tomatoes, YouTube
Andy García Facts
- Andy was 2 years old when Fidel Castro came into power in Cuba in 1959. Following the Bay of Pigs Invasion in 1961, Andy’s father relocated his wife and 3 kids, including 5-year-old Andy, to Miami in Florida. After moving to the US, the García family launched a perfume company which has become a successful million-dollar business venture over time.
- When he was born, he had remnants of an undeveloped conjoined twin attached to him by his shoulder. The twin was the size of a grapefruit and had to be surgically removed. All that’s left is a scar from that operation.
- He is good friends with fellow actor Mickey Rourke. Rourke was his baseball coach while studying at Miami Beach Senior High School.
- García was included in Empire Magazine‘s 1995 issue as one of the ‘100 Sexiest Stars in film history’ at the 65th spot.
- He has never done n#de scenes in films. He refused to oblige when asked to appear shirtless for an audition and famously walked out.
- Winning the role of Vincent Mancini in Francis Ford Coppola‘s third installment in The Godfather series put him on the map as an actor. The role was one of the most coveted parts of the decade with many established actors like Val Kilmer, Robert De Niro, Alec Baldwin, Charlie Sheen, and Vincent Spano campaigning for the part.
- Andy’s niece Jackie García was engaged to footballer Sean Taylor. Sean, a Washington Redskins safety, was shot by intruders in his house on November 26, 2007. Although Jackie and their 18-month-old daughter were unharmed in the incident, her fiancé Taylor succumbed to his injuries and died the next day.
- In recent years, he has expressed his interest to return to his home country of Cuba. But, he has clarified that he is opposed to the current authoritarian regime of the Castro family.
- García directed the 2005 film The Lost City, written by Cuban writer Guillermo Cabrera Infante. The film took 16 years to make and is a love song to his Cuban culture and its heritage.
- Follow Andy García on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
Featured Image by Mireille Ampilhac / Wikimedia / CC BY-SA 2.0