|Artem Markelov Quick Info|
|Date of Birth||September 10, 1994|
Artem Markelov is a Russian professional racing driver who has primarily competed in the GP2 Series from 2014. The competition was re-branded as the FIA Formula 2 Championship in 2017 and is the primary feeder series for the premier Formula One World Championship. He had secured 2nd place in the competition in 2017 and 5th in 2018. Before this, he had also finished as a runner-up at the 2013 German Formula 3 Championship. In 2018, he was invited as a test and development driver by the Renault F1 Team for the 2018 Russian Grand Prix. Apart from the FIA Formula 2 Championship, he had also competed in 5 races of the 2019 Japanese Super Formula Championship.
Artem Valeryevich Markelov
Professional Racing Driver
- Father – Valery Markelov (Businessman)
He is represented by Svetlana Strelnikova, Personal and Business Manager.
20 – FIA Formula 2 Championship
Formula 2 Teams
Artem has raced for –
- Russian Time (2017-2018)
- MP Motorsport (2019)
- BWT Arden (2019)
- HWA Racelab (2020-Present)
6 ft or 183 cm
73 kg or 161 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Artem has dated –
- Katya Zhuzha (2018-Present) – Artem began dating Russian socialite and reality TV star Katya Zhuzha in 2018. The couple got married in 2019.
Race / Ethnicity
He is of Russian descent.
- Toned physique
- Side-parted, wavy hair
- Has his left arm covered in tattoos
- Affable smile
- Clean-shaven look
- Has moles on his neck
Artem has been sponsored by –
Artem Markelov Facts
- Like most professional drivers, Artem too had started his racing journey with karts. He started participating in championships in 2006, at the age of just 12. He won the Russian Karting Cup in 2007 and the Russian Karting Championship in 2009. Artem had risen through the junior ranks and progressed into the KF2 category by the end of 2010.
- However, he changed track the following year and moved into open-wheel racing with the 2011 ADAC Formel Masters series. He made an immediate impact and secured 11 podium finishes in 23 races. However, his inability to convert podiums into race wins (he won only 1 race in the season) meant that he had to be content with 4th place on the overall leaderboard.
- In the 2013 German Formula 3 Championship, he had secured podium finishes in an astonishing 21 of the 26 races. However, again, his inability to convert podiums into wins meant that he finished 2nd overall and was beaten by his teammate Marvin Kirchhöfer who had won 13 races compared to Artem’s 2.
- His first race win in the GP2 Series came in the feature race at the famed Circuit de Monaco in 2016. Astonishingly, he had started the race from the 15th position on the grid. This was also the first occasion where a Russian driver had won a GP2 Series race on the Circuit de Monaco.
- When the GP2 series was re-branded as the FIA Formula 2 Championship in 2017, he became its inaugural race winner by triumphing at the feature race at the Bahrain International Circuit. While he finished 2nd in the overall standings by 72 points in that season, his performances did help the Russian Time team win the constructor’s title.
Featured Image by Artem Markelov / Instagram