|Ben Whishaw Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 9 in|
|Date of Birth||October 14, 1980|
Ben Whishaw is an English actor who is well known for having been cast in a number of movies and shows like Cloud Atlas, Days and Nights, Paddington, Suffragette, Mary Poppins Returns, The Personal History of David Copperfield, Other People’s Children, Queers, and A Very English Scandal. He has won various awards and nominations for his diverse performances. As a stage actor, he has given some highly acclaimed performances and was also nominated for Laurence Olivier Award for ‘Best Actor’ for his portrayal of the lead character in a production of the Shakespearean tragedy, Hamlet, in 2004.
Benjamin John Whishaw
Clifton, Bedfordshire, England, United Kingdom
London, England, United Kingdom
Ben Whishaw went to Henlow Middle School, Henlow before enrolling at Samuel Whitbread Community College, Clifton. Later, in 2003, he graduated from the Royal Academy of Dramatic Art, London.
He was also a member of the Bancroft Players Youth Theatre at the Hitchin’s Queen Mother Theatre.
- Father – Jose Whishaw (Works in Information Technology)
- Mother – Linda (née Hope) (Works in Cosmetics)
- Siblings – James (Fraternal Twin Brother)
- Others – Jean /John Vladimir /Vladimier /Victor Stellmacher (Paternal Grandfather) (British Spy in the German Army during World War II), Olga Adele Bernard (Paternal Grandmother)
Ben Whishaw is managed by Hamilton Hodell, Talent Agency, London, England, United Kingdom.
5 ft 9 in or 175 cm
68 kg or 150 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Ben Whishaw has dated –
- Mark Bradshaw (2009-Present) – Ben first met Australian composer Mark Bradshaw in 2009 while they were working on the British-French-Australian biographical fiction romantic drama film, Bright Star, in which Ben was cast as the much revered English romantic poet, John Keats. The duo began their civil relationship in August 2012. However, their relationship remained away from the spotlight until 2013.
Race / Ethnicity
He has French, German, and Russian ancestry on his father’s side and is of English descent on his mother’s side.
He has revealed that it was a hard thing for him to come out but the support of his close ones made things easier.
- Deep set eyes
- Usually sports an unkempt hairstyle
Ben has appeared in various TV commercials including –
- OMEGA Seamaster 300 TV Commercial, ‘Spectre: Revealing the 007 Watch’, alongside actor Daniel Craig and actress Naomie Harris
- Birds Eye
Best Known For
- Having been cast in the movie, My Brother Tom (2001), for which he received the British Independent Film Award for ‘Most Promising Newcomer’ and Sochi International Film Festival Award for ‘Best Actor’
- His part in the television drama series, Criminal Justice, for which he was honored with an International Emmy Award for ‘Best Actor’, Royal Television Society Award for ‘Best Actor’, and was also nominated for a British Academy Television Award for ‘Best Actor’
- Appearing in a variety of other TV shows and movies which include The Trench (1999) as Pte. James Deamis, Other People’s Children (2000) as Sully, Ready When You Are Mr. McGill (2003) as Bruno, Nathan Barley (2005) as Pingu, Perfume: The Story of a Murderer (2006) as Jean-Baptiste Grenouille, Brideshead Revisited (2008) as Sebastian Flyte, The International (2009) as Rene Antall, and many others
He made his theatrical film debut as Pte. James Deamis in the war drama movie, The Trench, in 1999.
As a voice actor, he made his theatrical film debut by voicing the character of Paddington Bear in the animated comedy-drama film, Paddington in 2014.
First TV Show
He made his first TV show appearance as Ryan in the drama series, Black Cab in 2000.
Ben Whishaw Favorite Things
- Film – Vertigo (1958)
- James Bond Films – Dr. No (1962), From Russia with Love (1963)
- Actor – James Stewart
Source – IMDb
Ben Whishaw Facts
- He grew up in Langford, Bedfordshire alongside his twin brother.
- His original family surname is Stellmacher, which is a German occupational name for a Cartwright.
- He interest in acting and theatre developed during his days in Samuel Whitbread Community College.
- He is close friends with actor Matthew Goode. They both starred in the drama film, Brideshead Revisited (2008).
- His role as Q in the 23rd film of the James Bond series, Skyfall (2012), made him the youngest actor, at the age of 32, to portray the character.
- A few things that he really loves include music, dance, visual arts, reading, painting, gardening, and traveling.
- In his stage shows, he has played female characters as well.
- He likes cats and once even took in a couple of stray cats.
- He was chosen over the like of actors Leonardo DiCaprio and Orlando Bloom for the role of Jean-Baptiste Grenouille in the German period psychological crime thriller movie, Perfume: The Story of a Murderer (2006).
- Initially, he turned down the offer of a voiceover in the animated movie, Paddington (2014). So, actor Colin Firth almost replaced him. However, Ben later considered and accepted the offer after he received a letter from the film’s director.
- He is a big fan of actress Judi Dench and musician PJ Harvey.
- He enjoys reading Shakespeare and has also starred in a number of plays and shows based on his works.
- Ben has often stated in his interviews that he refrains from reading the reviews of his work.
- He is not active on social media.
Featured Image by Ben Whishaw / Instagram