|Benedicto Cabrera Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 10 in|
|Date of Birth||April 10, 1942|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
Benedicto Cabrera is a Filipino painter who is widely regarded as the best-selling painter of his generation of Filipino visual artists. He had been honored with the ‘National Artist of the Philippines for Visual Arts (Painting)’ award in 2006. His work has been covered in 5 different books titled Ben Cabrera: Etchings (1970–1980), Bencab’s Rock Sessions, BENCAB, BenCab: N*de Drawings, and BenCab Portraits.
Benedicto Reyes Cabrera
Malabon, Rizal, Calabarzon, Luzon, Philippines
Baguio, Cordillera, Luzon, Philippines
Benedicto, after his high school graduation, had joined the University of the Philippines Diliman, a coeducational, public research university in Quezon City, Philippines. He had graduated from there with a bachelor’s degree in fine arts in 1963.
- Father – Democrito Cabrera
- Mother – Isabel Reyes
- Siblings – Salvador Cabrera (Older Brother) (Artist). He has 7 other older siblings.
- Others – Lisa Gifford (Daughter-in-Law) (Playwright, Web Series Writer)
5 ft 10 in or 178 cm
70 kg or 154.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Benedicto has dated –
- Caroline Kennedy (1968–1985) – Benedicto had first met British journalist Caroline Kennedy in Manila in 1968 and they had started dating soon after. They got married in London in a ceremony in 1969 and had settled in that city. They have 3 children together – a son named Elisar Cabrera (b. 1971) (d. August 2020) (Film / Web Series Producer), and 2 daughters named Mayumi Cabrera (b. 1973) (Model) and Jasmine Cabrera (b. 1977). He has 3 grandchildren – Ronan (b. 2011) and Ione (b. 2013) through Mayumi and Sienna Daphne (b. 2016) through Jasmine. Benedicto and Caroline had parted ways in 1985.
Race / Ethnicity
He is of Filipino descent.
- Slender frame
- Close-cropped hair
- Sports a rugged beard
Benedicto Cabrera Facts
- Benedicto had developed an interest in the arts through his older Brother Salvador who was an established artist while Benedicto was still a child. He had first come into the spotlight in 1962 when he had stood 2nd in the painting category at the Shell National Student Art Competition. The following year, he had won the University of the Philippines Student Council Art Competition.
- After his marriage to Caroline in 1969, he had moved to London, and over the next few decades, he had held painting exhibitions across the world, winning several major art awards.
- He had briefly returned to the Philippines in 1972 but had switched back to London in 1974 to get away from the regime of Ferdinand Marcos who had ruled the country as a dictator under martial law from 1972 until 1981. This phase was instrumental in his tilt towards using painting as a way to express his feelings about repression and freedom. He had permanently returned to the Philippines after his divorce from Caroline in 1985 and had settled in the city of Baguio.
- In 1997, he had been honored with the ‘ASEAN Achievement Award for Visual & Performing Arts’ at the 5th ASEAN Achievement Awards, by the ASEAN (Association of Southeast Asian Nations) Business Forum in a ceremony held in Jakarta.
- In 2009, the University of the Philippines had conferred upon him an honorary Doctor of Humanities degree. In 2018, the University of the Cordilleras had conferred upon him an honorary Doctor of Humanities, honoris causa degree.
Featured Image by Benedicto Cabrera / Instagram