|Bernadette Peters Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 3 in|
|Date of Birth||February 28, 1948|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
Bernadette Peters is an American actress, singer, as well as children’s book author who has dazzled audiences and critics with her performances in musical theatre, television, movies, solo concerts, and recordings. The Broadway legend popular for her roles in musicals like Mack and Mabel (1974), Sunday in the Park with George (1984), Gypsy (2003), and Hello, Dolly! (2018), is the recipient of numerous honorary awards including the Tony Awards and the Drama Desk Awards, with several of the Broadway cast albums on which she starred having won the Grammys.
The Queen of Broadway
Ozone Park, Queens, New York City, New York, United States
New York, United States
She attended Quintano’s School for Young Professionals in Manhattan in New York City, graduating in 1966. She learned acting from David Le Grant, trained in tap dancing with Oliver McCool III, and took singing lessons from Jim Gregory.
Actress, Singer, Author
- Father – Peter Lazzara (Bread-Delivery Truck Driver)
- Mother – Marguerite née Maltese Lazzara
- Siblings – Donna DeSeta (Older Sister) (Casting Director), Joseph Lazzara (Older Brother)
She is represented by –
- William Morris Agency
- Judy Katz Public Relations
5 ft 3 in or 160 cm
58 kg or 128 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
She has dated –
- Steve Martin (1977-1982) – She had a romantic relationship with comedian Steve Martin for around 4 years.
- Warren Beatty – She had a relationship with actor-director Warren Beatty.
- Michael Wittenberg – She tied the knot with investment adviser Michael Wittenberg on July 20, 1996. Wittenberg died at the age of 43 on September 26, 2005, in a helicopter crash.
Race / Ethnicity
She is of Italian descent.
Dark Brown (Natural)
She often tends to dye her hair ‘blonde’, ‘auburn’ and ‘light brown’.
- Pretty eyes
- Frizzy hair
- Lisp, breathless voice
She has endorsed several brands such as –
- Sensual Breyers
- Ocean Spray
Bernadette Peters Favorite Things
- Flowers – Morning Glory, Posey
- Book – Eckhart Tolle’s Guardians of Being
- Food – Pasta with homemade marinara sauce
- Adores – Broadway Barks co-founder Mary Tyler Moore
- Role – Mama Rose
- Role She Would Love To Play – Amanda the mother in The Glass Menagerie
- Songs – Some Enchanted Evening, If I Loved You
- Passionate About – Rescuing and taking care of animals
- Pastime – Visiting animal rescue groups to find out how they run their shelters
- Considers A Miracle – Companion animals, who all have an inborn power to connect, who are here for us humans giving us a peacefulness simply with their presence, their integrity in accepting life as it comes being something worth learning
Source – Instagram, Instagram, BroadwayBarks.com, IMDb
Bernadette Peters Facts
- At the age of 3 and a half, her mother started her in show business by putting her on the TV show Juvenile Jury. She again starred in the television shows Name That Tune and The Horn and Hardart Children’s Hour at the age of 5.
- When she was 10 years old, her Italian American surname was changed to Peters after her father’s first name since at that time non-Anglo stage names were discouraged.
- She has been considered to be one of the finest singing actresses since Barbra Streisand.
- Bernadette was inducted into the Hollywood Bowl Hall of Fame in 2002.
- She is an ardent animal lover and compassionate philanthropist and has co-founded the animal adoption charity Broadway Barks and has supported several charitable organizations including Broadway Cares/Equity Fights AIDS. She has also been a member of the Board of Directors of Standing Tall which is a non-profit educational program having an innovative plan for children with multiple disabilities.
- Bernadette has penned numerous children’s books including Broadway Barks and Stella Is a Star in order to support the organization Broadway Barks.
- She has had several dogs including Kramer, Stella and Charlie, all of whom she adopted from shelters after learning that there are always wonderful and fit dogs waiting who have to be euthanized if they do not get homes.
Featured Image by Drama League / Flickr / CC BY-2.0