|Betsey Johnson Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 4 in|
|Date of Birth||August 10, 1942|
Betsey Johnson is an American fashion designer who is renowned for her edgy, feminine, and extravagant design choices. As of October 2022, she owned more than 60 stores worldwide and had organized numerous fashion shows over the course of a prolific and acclaimed career. In 2002, she was inducted into the ‘Fashion Walk of Fame’. In 2009, she was awarded the ‘Medal of Honor for Lifetime Achievement in Fashion’ by The National Arts Club, a non-profit fine arts organization based in Manhattan, New York City.
Wethersfield, Hartford County, Connecticut, United States
New York City, New York, United States
Betsey, after her high school graduation, joined the Pratt Institute, a private university with its main campus in Brooklyn, New York. She later graduated from Syracuse University, a private research university in Syracuse, New York.
- Father – John Herman ‘Chick’ Johnson
- Mother – Lena Virginia Johnson
- Siblings – Sally Johnson (Older Sister), Robert Johnson (Younger Brother)
- Others – Arthur Margulies (Son-in-Law), John H. Johnson (Paternal Grandfather), Tekla A. (Paternal Grandmother), William W. Ham (Maternal Grandfather), Emma Jane Padgett (Maternal Grandmother), Will Cale (Ex-Father-in-Law) (Coal Miner), Margaret Davies (Ex-Mother-in-Law) (Primary School Teacher)
Betsey Johnson’s net worth had been $50 million according to CelebrityNetWorth.com.
5 ft 4 in or 162.5 cm
58 kg or 128 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Betsey has dated –
- John Cale (1967-1971) – Betsey began dating Welsh musician, composer, singer, songwriter, and record producer John Cale in 1967, and the couple got married in April 1968. They had parted ways by 1971.
- Clark Murray – Through her relationship with noted sculptor Clark Murray in the 1970s, Betsey has a daughter named Lulu Johnson (b. 1975) (Stylist).
- Jeffrey Oliviere (1981-1984) – She married Jeffrey Oliviere in 1981 and they got divorced in 1984.
- Brian Reynolds (1997-Present) – Betsey got married to Brian Reynolds, owner of a computer business, in 1997.
Race / Ethnicity
She is of Swedish descent on her father’s side and English and German descent on her mother’s side.
- Slender frame
- Ever-changing hairstyle
- Cheerful smile
- Heavily made-up face
Betsey Johnson Facts
- Born in Wethersfield, Connecticut, Betsey mostly grew up in nearby Terryville, Connecticut, where she used to attend multiple dance classes. These dance classes developed in her a love for costumes from a very early age.
- After graduating from Syracuse University, she joined Mademoiselle (a now-defunct women’s magazine that was first published in 1935) as an intern.
- Her career in the fashion industry started after she won a ‘Guest Editor’ contest at Mademoiselle. About a year later, she was appointed the in-house designer for a Manhattan-based boutique called Paraphernalia.
- In 1969, she opened a boutique called Betsey Bunky Nini in New York City. In the early 1970s, she took over a fashion label called Alley Cat and sold about USD 5 million in volume in her first year there.
- By 1978, she started her own fashion line. About 3 years later, she opened a retail store in the SoHo area of New York City.
- In the early 2000s, Betsey expanded her fashion line to include handbags, accessories, hats, and scarves.
- In September 2014, she participated in the 19th season of Dancing with the Stars, the American version of the competitive dance-based British reality TV franchise Strictly Come Dancing. She finished in 10th place in a field of 13 contestants.
- In April 2019, Betsey had a seizure that required open-heart surgery. She is also a long-term breast cancer survivor.
Featured Image by Betsey Johnson / Instagram